Sign in to follow this  
aki

vr6 headgasket

hi guys just a quickie, ive been on the vortex and it seems that the suggestion is to use a mk4 vr6 headgasket to raise my compression ratio abit has anybody tried this and is it true? if its gonna raise the comp a bit its got to be worth a go!

cheers for any help

andy

Well this is a vague question.

For an accurate andswer to what you are trying to do don't you think we should have a bit more to go on mate?

I've not measured the difference between the gaskets but the thinner the higher the C/R will be but not by much and if you would even notice but what are you trying to do?

Oh and you will raise your compression by changing to a K&N air filter!

Just thought i'd chuck that one in to see what people would say, but anyone understanding engines will understand the reasons for this!

Those that argue obviously don't :roll:

Chris

Go on - I'll bite - explain how a K+N alters compression ratio! :)

Or are you talking about "compression" - i.e. in-cylinder measured pressure in psi?

Chris, there are some automotive legends that refuse to go away arn't there. It reminds me of the air-cooled one about changing rod length alone increasing your CC or that fitting an externally breathing reed valve into your servo pipe (on a car with a lambda sensor) will improve your fuel consumption, no product name mentioned.

dr_mat, good one, you're on it, the C/R can't change without phisical measurements changing but cylinder filling will be greater with a freere flowing air filter, the more air in there getting squashed the higher the pressures will obviously be. Not that it'll make much difference really though.

Crasher, "changing rod length alone increasing your CC or that fitting an externally breathing reed valve into your servo pipe"

Well i've never heard that one before, the crank and cylinders dimentions change CC and rod length does effect things but the main idea for rod length is to effect rod angularity ie. thrust ratios nad creating torque from long cranks but not much else. That Reed valve, i don't give it thought room, what a crock.

Chris

hi,

ok ive polished and ported a spare vr6 head,matched and polished the inlet and exhaust manifolds and ive got a pair of 264 kent cams to go in! as ive got to take my old head off to fit my "new" one i wondered if it was worth fitting a mk4 vr6 head gasket as ive seen on vw vortex that a few people are suggesting fitting one as it may increase compression a bit.sorry compression ratio.which hopefully might liberate an extra horse! possibly even two!

i realise that it will only increase the compression ratio marginally,but as they say "every little helps" as ive got to fit a head gasket of some sort! i may as well raise my compression even if its marginal.

as im not planning on force inducing my engine it wont hurt to raise my c.r.a bit if possible!

so is the mk4 gskt thinner? and will it fit on a 2.9 vr6 circa 1993

cheers

andy

The mk4 gasket will bump it up the CR about a 1/2 point. Not only that but the gasket is better quality and will last longer. I am in the process of putting one on now.

you seriously reckon that fitting a later, standard VAG VR6 gasket will knock the compression ratio up by 1/2 a point? :|

If the standard Corrado gasket were a 6 layer gasket and the new one was a space age material 3 layer, then you'd maybe lose, what, 0.5mm of height when it's clamped down with the head bolts? Compression wise that's gonna make as much difference as farting into the inlet... Hell, Once the standard gasket is compressed, about the only way you're gonna lessen the distance from the head to the block is to not use a gasket, but I don't think that'd do your compression much good! :lol:

The coated stainless gaskets for the MK4 12V are 1mm thick, so quite a bit thinner than the regular fibrous Victor Reinz ones.

We (as in Vince and I) do know that 2 MK4 gaskets stacked drops the 12V CR to 9.6:1, so I would imagine as a rough guesstimate that 1 Gasket would increase CR to 10.2:1? 0.2 won't really give you a lot but as ntonar says, it's a vastly superior gasket. VW have changed to coated steel gaskets on pretty much all their engines in recent years.

cheers guys

got to be worth a go then eh! wonder if itl make any noticable difference,but if its a better gasket it could prevant any future problems, worth a punt.... :)

andy

Interesting, i'd like to see how close the VAG map runs the engine's fuelling on full throttle as 0.5 C/R point will effect this a fair bit i'd have thought, no good putting things at rise without looking into it.

Chris

I am finishing my head gasket job this weekend. I will let you know how things go and how the car runs.