Sign in to follow this  
Tom_vRS

Newbie - I'm after a VR6 but don't know about specs etc.

Well, I currently drive a Fabia vRS - as good as it is, I'm going for a change.

I have a MK2 Golf GTI that I've returned to a good reliable standard, and its pretty economical so I'm going to use that as a daily driver.

But I also want a Corrado VR6.

I know nothing about specs, performance figures, which models are desireable, changes throughout the production period etc.

What came as standard? What options were available? What can be retrofitted?

So any advice required! Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Blimey mate, BIG question!!!!

I would start by using the search and reading the 'buying guide'.

But to start you off......

190 bhp

185 or so lb ft of torque

0-60 in around 6.5

145-150 tops

A healthy vr kicks butt, especially up at motorway speeds and beyond, and makes the most gorgeous noise that changes throughout the rev range :)

As far as I know there's only 2 models - old and new, apart from the Storms. Somewhere around 93 i think, the interior changed. Different door cards, different heater controls etc. Oh and maybe a campaign model at the start? Rocking horse sh*t i should imagine!

I think all vr's come with electrics as standard - windows, mirrors, sunroof, rear spoiler. A few don't have sunroofs. Some have leather and air-con as options. Air con is cool but it makes working on some bits of the engine a pain depending on what aircon kit you have - it wasn't a factory fit option afaik.

Forgive me if i'm going on/talking poo - i'm sick and the medication is making me feel rather strange :)

Hi m8

im in the same boat as you really!

rado vrs had 190bhp and a 0-60 figure of 6.4 secs (iirc) they made storm models whitch where iirc last editions and only 250 were made some had leather but im not sure what models etc....

thats all i know im sure you'll get loads more help but theres my 2 pence! :-)

cheers

james

std VR6 figs from VW are

190bhp/181lb/ft torque

0-60mph is 7.1 secs(evo magazine and autocar put it at 6.2 and 6.4 respectively tho)

500 Storm models from April 1995-July 1995 when production ended but they were sold into Autumn 1996

Helpful stuff so far, cheers!

So a/c isn't a factory standard thing? Do many models have a/c - its quite important imho!

What about dash board and carpet colour etc?- are they all black?

Do any models have electric or heated seats?

Welcome to the forum Tom! I'm sure no one on here will try putting you off buying a VR 8)

Old and new shape C's have been mentioned above but you don't need to worry about this as the VR was launched at the time of the new body/interior so all should have that spec - unless you buy one thats been converted...

My advice would be too go for one with as many options as you can find for your money i.e. leather and aircon! Aircon was never a factory option on the C so was dealer fit only in the UK

tbh there aren't any other options I can think of... so good luck with your search - there's still a few peaches out there 8)

only leather had heated seats,the Recaro's were available in cloth or leather but both had electric movement,Dash boards came in either black or grey or brick red but there are only 5 of those left

leather was available in black,biege,grey and brick red(campaign ones so only 6 in total

A/C was a dealer fit and varies dependant on who did the job

Welcome to the forum Tom! I'm sure no one on here will try putting you off buying a VR 8)

Old and new shape C's have been mentioned above but you don't need to worry about this as the VR was launched at the time of the new body/interior so all should have that spec - unless you buy one thats been converted...

8)

early VR6's had the early interior tho...........been in a couple early ones with the sliding heater controls,and these were genuine from the factory VR's

I stand corrected! The oldest VR I've been in was a K plate but still had the late interior so I assumed that they were all like that... have seen 2.0 16V late shape with the early interior along with the late J plate G60's so I guess it's not too much of a suprise to learn that!

Ok, so I need to look out for a late (L onwards) VR6 with black interior, black heated leather recaros and a/c. Sorted.

Is there any issues with mileage? Most seem to be 150k or £5k+... I think I'm happy to spend about £4k, and I dont mind doing a little tinkering.

Is a/c a possible retrofit if I cant find one with it fitted?

And I keep seeing "karmann" badges on the consoles - whats that all about!?

Mileage isnt an iussue, but you would probabaly be best getting one thats had its timing chains replaced already, or you will need to about circa £1k to your budget. (having said that i dont own/have never owned a VR so may be corrected!!)

Quite a few people have fitted aircon/climiate control and the like so you shouldt have any problems there!

as for the Karmann badege on the interior, some ebay sellers claim it means it has the ultra rare Karmann interior so its worth more. In reality, the Corrado was made by Karmann so they have their badge in the inside. On the Storm variant this is replaced with a 'Storm' badge.

Nealy all have the Karmann badge although lookig at Auto Trader and the like some people take this to mean it's some kind of 'special' edition... I have a feeling the campaigns didn't get the badge as it's all covered up with leather!

I have known people to get hold of a/c out of broken cars and retro fit it with out problems - I think you just have to make sure you get a complete kit to make fitting as easy as possible...

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43324

^^ I like the sound of that one - I'm desperately trying to stop myself from buying it so would be glad if someone else did! :lol:

Like others have said, you're best off buying a decent VR6 and then having A/C fitted later rather than search for one with A/C already fitted as they're pretty rare.

Enjoy your search anyway :thumbleft:

I recently purchased a late 1996 model with heated grey leathers and Aircon... Aircon is fab!!!!

But you won't find many that actaully comes with it....

Mileage isnt an iussue, but you would probabaly be best getting one thats had its timing chains replaced already, or you will need to about circa £1k to your budget. (having said that i dont own/have never owned a VR so may be corrected!!)

Quite a few people have fitted aircon/climiate control and the like so you shouldt have any problems there!

as for the Karmann badege on the interior, some ebay sellers claim it means it has the ultra rare Karmann interior so its worth more. In reality, the Corrado was made by Karmann so they have their badge in the inside. On the Storm variant this is replaced with a 'Storm' badge.

I'd say mileage most definately is an issue with vr's mate, in conjunction with history, condition, etc. But there are plenty of things that go wrong on vr's from 100k miles onwards. And most of em aren't exactly cheap.

I'd say mileage most definately is an issue with vr's mate, in conjunction with history, condition, etc. But there are plenty of things that go wrong on vr's from 100k miles onwards. And most of em aren't exactly cheap.[/quote:842b6]

What sort of problems can they suffer from then fella?

Thanks for the advice so far! :D

Well in my experience:

Coilpack

Leads

Thermostat

Water pump

Etc

Etc

The usual suspects as with most cars, but with VR's everything is fairly pricey.

You've just got to go in with your eyes open mate :)

Some 2.9 VR's will suffer bore wear at high mileages (the 2.8's are much less prone to it)- about as pricy to fix as it gets. Its well worth pulling the plugs out on 1 & 6 to check for oil fouling. Alternatively take it for a drive with somone driving behind you checking for blue smoke. Also check for chain noise if no-one has mentioned it yet; cars sounds like rattling a jar full of marbles at 1-2k.

Some 2.9 VR's will suffer bore wear at high mileages (the 2.8's are much less prone to it)- about as pricy to fix as it gets. Its well worth pulling the plugs out on 1 & 6 to check for oil fouling. Alternatively take it for a drive with somone driving behind you checking for blue smoke. Also check for chain noise if no-one has mentioned it yet; cars sounds like rattling a jar full of marbles at 1-2k.

Thats some good information mate, i will be getting a vr soon so will check for these :thumb right: