Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Greasing a new clutch

I have a new VAG clutch kit and the grease to go with it, but not sure where exactly to put the grease?

I know not to get it on the flywheel or friction plate, but where on the pressure plate do I grease? Also, should the inside of the bell housing be clean, or covered in oil/grease?

Dutch

grease the shaft on the gearbox that the friction plate slides onto (or the center splined hole of the friction plate, makes little difference either way)

Cheers Henny.

Does the bell housing look ok, or should I clean it up abit? What about greasing the arm that moves the pressure plate?

Dutch

Bell housings always look like that internally.... it's a mixture of spent friction material (akin to brake dust if you like) and oil. Only a very thin film of oil mind. If it's soaking in there then you have/had a crank/gearbox seal issue.

Grease the shaft as Henny says, it stops the friction disc binding on the shaft.

Also grease the little ceramic ball the actuator arm pivots on.

the top pic reminds me, anyone know why the later 02a boxes don't have the bracket from the end of the box to the gearbox mount? when you see the early 02a boxes with them on it makes the later one look a bit fragile and missing quite a major support.

Marked with blue arrow on the pic attached.

I've fitted the flywheel and tryed to fit the clutch.

The pressure plate will not sit flush with the flywheel. There is a 2mm gap all the way around as the friction plate seems too thick? I've compared it to the old one and it's only slightly wider due to wear on the old one. Is this normal?

I've cleaned the inside of the bell housing and discovered loads of little cracks :shock: They seem to be only surface cracks but there is alot (see pics).

Now you mention it David that extra bracket's got me wondering. There seems to be 2 places on the outside of the bell housing where it looks like some part of the aluminium casting has been snapped off? My engine was replaced 5 years ago and I'm thinking they may of swapped my gearbox for an older one, or is that cracking you see in the photo's normal for a '94 VR bellhousing/gearbox??

Dutch

The last picture shows the missing molding for the engine mount bracket bolt on the 24v block.

I'm going to get a plate welded onto the bracket so it attaches to the block via the bolt that goes through the hole at the top of the photo.

Dutch

So that gap is normal then Kev?

I haven't tightened the pressure plate bolts yet though and if I do it will mash the friction plate with 25 NM as they are only hand tight at the moment and the pressure plate is already pressing on the friction plate???

So the clutch is permenantly on and when the pressure plate is pressed in the friction plate moves away fom the flywheel, actually into the pressure plate case if you see what I mean?

So those *cracks* are nothing to worry about then?

Dutch

is already pressing on the friction plate???

So the clutch is permenantly on and when the pressure plate is pressed in the friction plate moves away fom the flywheel, actually into the pressure plate case if you see what I mean?

Yep :wink: That's what those finger springs are for in the pressure plate. You'd be surprised how little the friction disc needs to move to break traction with the flywheel. Torque the bolts up and all will be good.

So those *cracks* are nothing to worry about then?

Nope! They're not cracks, they look like they are, but belive me, if they were cracks right through the casing you'd know about it! :-)

If there wasn't a gap when the bolts are finger tight there would be no clamping pressure to hold the torque when pulling away.

Chris

OK, cool. Thanks guys. It just didn't look good to me, but then again I'm no mechanic so just wanted to make sure.

Dutch