Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

What next??????NOS-R32 conversion-Charger???????

I have done a search and have found plenty of threads but none really answer my questions!

Right then guys ive pretty much got my corrado looking the way i want ive only got a few little things left to do to it (eyebrow spoiler & plate transfer). The chassis has been fully sorted with all new bushes, koni coilies, eibach ARB's so it is handling and driving perfect. I have used the car for over 1500 miles to prove its reliable enough and to sort any niggles out. I now need to move on to the engine, i am however in a bit of a dilemma i dont know whether to supercharge the original motor in the car or fit an R32 lump in it. i like the sound of the high 200hp's and the noise a supercharger i would get with a Vortech charger but on the other hand i really like the idea of a more modern (dare i say more reliable) 24v motor and the things you can fit along side the lump. the likes of coxxylad and jayrenshaws cars with the cruise control/air con units from the golf fitted into a corrado sounds excellent. I have a breakers licence so getting a hold of a cat B (spares only) R32 wont be too hard and i could do the work myself.

However im far too busy with work and either fitting a charger or an R32 conversion would have to wait until the winter when i have a lot more time on my hands. My problem is that i would like to give the car more punch now so was thinking of fitting a Nos kit to it, my reasons behind this are simple, 1. it will give the car the extra kick im looking for. 2. it will fit into the future plans for the car whether i go down the charger or 24v route, i will probably buy a wizards of nos kit as ive got one on my M3 and ive found it to be fine.

I had an NX kit on a VR6 i had years ago and it worked well, only had 35hp jets in but gave it the right kick, however the bottle wasnt road legal as it was a US kit. I removed it when i sold the car, my mate fitted it to his 320i but didnt connect the extra fuel supply, car burnt a valve out in about 10miles!!! then blamed me!!

What do you guys think ?????

Nitrous......................or.....................Wait til the winter for more speed ????????????????????

Also what sort of money are you paying to refill bottles now? the one on my M3 has been empty for over a year as the GF uses it 99% of the time and the last thing she needs is more speed............it would only make her kerb the wheels at higher speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmi...................................

Id defo recommend an extra 12 valves mate, its a massive improvement on smoothness and refinement, but without taking away any of the original qualities. Its also more powerful, and maybe more reliable??? Yet to prove that yet, but the original is reliable anyway, providing its looked after. Its also a bit more friendly on the fuel bill, depending on your right foot of course ;)

Do that, then get a charger slapped on it 8)

Well you would say that Stan 24v! :lol:

I agree with you though, the 24v motor will obviously breath better.

However H8RRA's 12v engine did alright with half the valves.

I've ran 100bhp jets on a Wizard of Nos kit on my VR and it was fine.

I also run a Vortech and they work together very well indeed!

It only takes a few hours to fit a charger and you could easily fit a charger and a Nitrous kit in a day and transform the power and drive af an already good car.

Plus you don't have the problems of the wiring and everything else that comes with a 24v conversion not to mention the extra cost of it all!

Chris

Well he did ask for opinions ;)

I know the 12v engine is good enough, and that with a charger and/or nos would be awesome. I just merely pointed out what I thought of the 24v, as he is thinking about it. Mine is chipped to approx 220BHP, and I'd love to slap a charger on it when Ive got some more cash lying about ;)

It only takes a few hours to fit a charger and you could easily fit a charger and a Nitrous kit in a day and transform the power and drive af an already good car.

Plus you don't have the problems of the wiring and everything else that comes with a 24v conversion not to mention the extra cost of it all!

the only downside to that route is that it'd be wise to make sure the engine is in the best health possible before shoving an extra wad of power through it, not because it might break, more to make sure you get the best possible results out of your new kit, making sure your VR is a healthy beast isnt 'that' cheap either (cheaper than a 24v conversion I dare say)

Just for info, it would have cost me about £400 less to get my 12v rebuilt, than have the 24v done, thats why I went for the newer engine and Ive recouped some of the cost by breaking the old enigne.

But Im sure you'll be doing your own work, so either way will be cheaper than what I paid ;)

Stan 24v if you dont mind me asking how much roughly did you pay for the 24v conversion?

and where did you get it done about?

cheers

I would try both a supercharged VR6 and an R32/4Motion first to see which power delivery you prefer before committing yourself. The 24V does it's best work below 4000 rpm and the charged VR above that.

Charged VRs are a proven method now and the kits have been perfected by Vince at Stealth, so no worries about reliability there.

Loads of options!

bv-vr6 £3k mate.

L33 RRRif youre ever down this way I'd gladly take you out to get an idea of how the 24v feels ;)