Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Removing rear number plate surround!!!

How do you take the rear number plate surround of the car???

Can't figure it out.. don't want to pull it any harder as i'm sure it'll break!!

Can't figure it out.. don't want to pull it any harder as i'm sure it'll break!!

you may well break it marcus, its held on with self adhesive and the location lugs get snapped in the process, it`s about £40 for a new beggar too !!!!

might be a good idea to use an electric heat gun on a low setting to warm up the plate where it is stuck and hope this allows you to peel it off a bit easier :thumbleft:

About £40 for a new one ... and they're apparently in short supply as well.

Just pull, that's what I did and I managed to get it off without any breakage...

Thread resurrection time:

They are now OBSOLETE!!!! There are none in the UK or Germany, and I f*cking need one too :mad: :mad: :mad:

They usually break when they come off so one from a breaker would be a lucky shot.

Not many other options though!

They usually break when they come off so one from a breaker would be a lucky shot.

Not many other options though!

Well if they normally break, surely they should end up in the....oh never mind, I won't go through with it.

Can someone confirm that the rear number plate surround is held on by self adhesive and location lugs as I've got a bodyshop trying to tell me that you have to strip out the motor for the spoiler to get to screws behind the trim.

Cheers James

there are several thin metal nuts holding the surround from the inside of the boot but you shouldnt need to remove the motor to get at them, just a socket on an extension bar should do it.

once the nuts are removed (some of the plastic lugs that the nuts attach to may shear) the top of the surround should lift away a little, then get one of those cheapo retractable craft knives (usually about a quid from B&Q)extend the blade fully to give you more reach and lift the top of the surround away just enough to get the knife behind it and slice away at the strong double sided adhesive foam that holds the bottom edge of the surround to the boot, i have removed 3 of these surrounds like this and havn't damaged any of them.

Hmm, I guess the brand new one that's still in the shrink-wrap, along with all the attachment bits that I have is now worth at least 10x the original price... :lol:

Hmm, I guess the brand new one that's still in the shrink-wrap, along with all the attachment bits that I have is now worth at least 10x the original price... :lol:

Funny i was just thinking that myself :lol: got mine frm the stealers bout a month ago.