Sign in to follow this  
emax

VR6 knocking/tapping noise, a characteristic?

When investigating a fuel smell tonight (which was caused by one of the fuel pipes to the injector rail having perished), I heard a faint knocking/tapping noise from the engine.

This isn't the usual tappets sound that you get from cold, the engine was hot as I checked it just after returning home from work.

It seemed to be coming from the passenger side of the engine and was regular, probably once every half-second at idle. It kind of phased in and out.

I went back out to the car a couple of hours later and started her up again. Initially no noise, but then after about 2-3 minutes of idling, the noise returned.

It's not a loud noise and it's too regular to be the VR6's chains (they were replaced at ~80k, we're now on 119k) and it seems to only happen when the engine gets warm. It's not overly loud and seems to stem from near the back of the engine area. I can't even tell if it's coming from the main block or not as it seems difficult to trace.

It's not overly loud and I doubt you'd hear it without the bonnet open. When I brought the revs up to see if it became louder/more prominent, the engine noise drowned it out so I couldn't tell.

Car seems to be running as normal and is returning 400-450 miles per tank from my 8 mile commute with a few longer journeys thrown in.

Could this be some dreaded bottom end problem? If so, what other symptoms should I look for? Or is this noise just a characteristic that I've missed out on before?

thanks,

paranoid VR6 owner!

which oild do you use out of intrest? also do you have an oil psi gauge?

might be worth knowing what going on... but could be something loose or such like

VW Synta Silver.

I've got the VDO Oil pressure gauges and my readings seem to be what they've always been:

5-6 psi at idle on cold.

4psi at 3,000rpm when warm

1.5-2 psi at idle when warm.

I'm hoping it's not something sinister.

EDIT: Above pressures are in bar, not PSI!

it seems to, yes. I'm going to have to investigate a little more I think.

If it was the bottom end, would I be losing oil pressure?

Yeah, I know!! If I boot it everywhere then obviously I don't get that!

I don't like giving a cold engine a hard time and on my short commute, it doesn't get much chance to warm up.

If it was the bottom end, would I be losing oil pressure?

not sure that you would be loosing it, but if it was low to start with then it could be suggestive of the bottom end...

if it goes away when reved i would thing that there is something loose but maybe the VR boys could add some extra infor regarding the location you hear the noise

Reading through your thread I may have the answer to your question.. I'm no expert but although the chains have been done, you would think that any tappett noise would be out of the question!!!!

From your description I think I'm suffering from the same problem, I have been diagnosed with replacing the Oil pump!! With mileage they do wear from the inside which creates starvation of oil to the cam, hence why it's intermitent and becomes more apparent why the oil warms up....

Im soon to replace it once I get round to it... Cost me just under £100 from ECP.

Hope this helps

mtc R32, thanks for this info. I'll investigate a bit further.

Is there anything else I can do to check if the oil pump is on its way out?

Both VRs I have had were never quiet from cold, even with only 30 odd k on the clock. Recently I had a tapping knocking noise which didn't go away when warm. Noticable inside the car at quieter speeds. Turned out to be a spark plug that had worked loose, tightened it up and the noise was gone.

and... how many mile on a tank!!! When I was doing short commutes I got about 300miles a tank. Now my longer commute will return up to 450 only if you barely touch the loud pedal...so normally I get 350-400 at the most. as double 6's says, get yer foot down :-D

Sounds like it is nothing to worry about then hopefully. Performance is still as good as it's ever been, not that I'm obviously using the loud pedal enough ;-)

In the winter and if I've used the car a bit more as it was intended, mpg will drop to 350 but never seen less than that from the tank typically.

Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I would get it checked out though by someone that knows what they are looking at. If its noticable and a new noise its no doubt not a normal noise and one that needs attention. I thought mine was going to be bad news, but was lucky, but best to get it checked properly. hope its something simple.

VW Synta Silver.

I've got the VDO Oil pressure gauges and my readings seem to be what they've always been:

5-6 psi at idle on cold.

4psi at 3,000rpm when warm

1.5-2 psi at idle when warm.

I'm hoping it's not something sinister.

Surely you mean bar, either that or theres your problem, my G60 was at a bar on pressure at idle warm.

2psi is drastically low

As you are in Fife, why not get Star Performance of Dysart to have a listen/look?

They seem to have a very good reputation and considerable experience with Corrados.

craigowl, yes, might just do that. It's going there for it's 120k service in 1000 miles time anyway so I'll keep a very close eye on the noise between now and then and if it gets worse, I'll take it in early.

Thanks.

From your description, Euan, I think my VR sounds the same. I've mentioned it repeatedly to Vince at Stealth (me being a bit paranoid about this type of thing) and he has always said "they're all like that" ...

I suspect it's something worn in the head, but am not inclined to worry about it too much, since I don't fancy the prospect of a head rebuild just to make the engine quieter..