Sign in to follow this  
VR6

Which polish? [repaired]

Quick edit by jims16v - due to some weirdy forum glitching.. the following message was originally posted by Skid to kick this discussion off :

As we all spend so much time polishing our motors which is really the best polishes to use ??

Is it really worth spending £100

So what do you use on your motor???

As you were!

Big thumbs up for the Swissol stuff http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk/viewto ... 88&start=0

Edit: Pics are the second set for the cleaner C.

the swissol stuff is soooooo expensive though,i use zymol and know of loads of other people that use it and think it really good,and only costs 12 quid

I think we should get a club/forum vote going here then try and get a group buy going as we all know the prices of these.

(yes i know swissol has offered) 8)

i'll go with Meguiars (Gold glass).

Excellent stuff, really deep shine and protection - £13 a bottle

The £12 Zymol stuff is just Cleaner Wax, please don't confuse this with the pukka Cleaner Fluid and paste Wax. The results that you will get with each are totally different. If you think the results from the Cleaner Wax are good, then try some of the real stuff. You won't regret it!

John

C'mon guys...........you spend how much on a grille? £50? In-pro's - over £200? Alloy gear knob - £40?

But paying £60 or £70 for something that cares (and makes you paint look a helluva lot better) for your paintwork, and it's 'ooh that's too expensive! You'd rather pay £12 for some Zymol!

Alright I know the more expensive stuff probably costs about 6 or 7 times as much and I'm not exactly trying to pimp the stuff here (why would I?), but put things in perspective!

The Swissol wax I'm using - I've just done the first was and I estimate that the tub will do about 15 - 20 waxes! Not like you wax once a week is it! So say, for arguments sake, that you buy a tub of wax for £100 and it lasts for 12 waxes and you wax it once a month - that's just over £8 a month! It'd cost you a fiver to put it through a car-wash for gods sake.

Valid points mate. :)

But what i was referring to was the stuff around that price bracket,just looking to get advice from people that have tried and tested the "good" products 8)

And as for anyone who puts their car through the car wash they should be given a slap :cry: as they dont care about there car enough to be concerned about polishes.

I am sure that does not apply to anyone on this forum :shock:

And as for anyone who puts their car through the car wash they should be given a slap :cry: as they dont care about there car enough to be concerned about polishes.

Guilty :oops: , but only in my old 16v, the vr6 gets looked after. Im using Turtlewax wash and wax (on special in halfords and I was skint) just now but I need to get some of the proper stuff.

Car wash? Nah, let it get dirty... :p When you do over 350 miles a week, what's the point when you're going into the eternal rain that is Manchester?!? :roll:

Seriously though, I tend to get mine cleaned at work... We have a bloke who comes around once a fortnight and valets the cars... He does an amazing job, and it only costs a few quid... Well worth it! :lol: I'd be interested to find out what you lot all think of the various waxes, polishes and other paint related stuff that you use 'cos J-dub could do with some TLC in the paint department and I'm not afraid to try stuff! :lol:

I've used Autoglym, the super resin polish followed by the extra gloss protection i think its the Muttz Nuttz. The only thing i hate about the polish (super resin wax) is that it leaves white marks on black seals.

You can buy stuff from autoglym that cleans and restores black trim and door/window seals and such like. Don't think Halfords stock it but you could try other car acsessory shops in your area. Good stuff, my sis uses it on her red RS Turbo after she has polished it using the autoglym stuff you use. Would never know that there were white marks on it.

I used to be a user of Mer polish and anything else to go with it in order to achieve a clean waxed car. Since i was shown the resulting shine and superior finish created by SWISSOL products, courtesy of John Wintle, i would not put any other product on my Corrado. I bought a Shield Wax kit and sure at about £155 it is more money than your standard Sunday wash day kit, but don't loose site of the fact that this kit contains generous quantities of each product and will serve your needs for years to come and create a paintwork finnish that will have you considering cup winning standards. Furthermore the kit comes in a purpose made holdall that neatly stowes in your car and can be complemented with many other products to suit your needs. It would cost you nothing to contact John Wintle for more info and i could not reccomend a better product.

Have any of you guys treated your windscreens with any water repellant type stuff.

I bought the product "OMBRELLO" and found it amazing. :D

I am in talks with the company just now to get club/forum discount. :)

Puts that RAIN X to shame,as it really does work and only needs to be applied once a year not every time you wash the car :mad:

Check it out on :

http://www.weathertec.co.uk

use autoglym bumper care for black plascic to rid it of wax.

I use al sorts of stuff. I like the halfords polish n sealant in a tin. I use a buffer too. gets rid of the cloth scratch marks great

I regularly attend Subaru meets (doing research for future purchase) and always get compliments on the condition of my '91 C. Some of those guys spend a fortune on Swissol/Zymol and are amazed when I tell them that the finish on mine costs just £5. I have always (and will always) used Simoniz Original. I've seen it side by side with these other expensive products and I'm afraid there are a lot of people being ripped off.

I've seen what Swissol can do first hand, and whilst I think its f'ckin expensive, it does do a superb job.

2CC did his VR6 with it, and combined with an alloy wheel refurb he had done, his car was transformed into what looked like a showroom ready car - it just looked absolutely mint.

I have also heard nothing but good things about that gold class meguires so... guess its down to personal preference and how much you have to spend :)

Aw shucks Jim, now I'm all embarassed.

Actually too many front end paint chips to be showroom, but I am impressed with the results :D