Sign in to follow this  
andyVR6

VR6 soundin like a scooby then mended itself

was in sheffield today and when i got back in the car and drove off it sounded like a scooby it wouldn't pick up very well and idled roughly. pulled over and couldn't see anything wrong checked what i could check at the side of the raod then decided to limp it 10mile home, got back on the motorway to head for home and had to change down into fourth to get past a truck then when i put it back into fifth it seamed to mend itself and take off like it usually does

Was it a burlbing sound?

Mine had that when it wasn't running on 4 cylinders (Yea i know mine is a 16v but maybe the same symptoms?)

sounds like it could of been a fouled plug that cleaned itself as you were driving it,mine used to do it quite often,just check no.1 and 6 plugs

mine was like this. it was a blocked fuel injector.

fit some fresh plugs, run it about for a while, check the plugs, they'll tell you which cylinder is off and why.

the plugs have only done around 1200mile gave it full service when i bought it the fuel filter is also brand new had to butcher the old one off as it was still the original with 144k's worth of crap in it. probably wouldn't hurt to put some injector cleaner through it.

give it a try

the idea of the new plugs is that you need fresh ones to be able to see them change colour to ascertain what's going on.

I had this and it got much worse - was the coilpack in the end.

Check plugs as said and HT leads first tho.

Yep, good idea that. It's how I found out number 4 red top on mine was a duffer. 1-5 were all brown and no 4 was white and powdery.

the engines running fine though now so the plugs will all be the same colour. think ive got some plugs in the garage so ill give it a try anyway

would vag-com pick anything up in the fault codes history. ive got it + the leads but never used them

It will only say something like "Mixture, adaptation limit not reached" or some such because lammy lambda isn't happy, it won't tell you a specific part is fubar unless it is.

tryed using it once the day the lead came on my mates vr and out of coincidence the ignition switch packed in we thought we'd fried something. never got round to using it since.

Mine is doing what you describe, sounds rough but then will pick up intermittently, below 2500rpm. Above that its feels ok, maybe abit flat. It's got progressively worse, recon its overfueling, the exhaust is very sooty and I got about 15mpg coming back from London at pretty average speeds. Near enough cuts out everytime I take it out of gear now, was thinking the lambda sensor? The plugs have always looked abit black, probably in desperate need of a remap aswell.

I may aswell jump on the band wagon... My vr6 started sounding like a scooby, not firing on cylinder 6. The plug was very oiled up, and the car is running really rich and won't pull below 3k. Its really lumpy untill you get over 3k then it pulls just fine!! Also the depressing thing is its drinking oil, big time.