Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

What should i go for ???

Hi every one, i'm a newbie on this forum & its Grreeeaaaaattttttt !!

I'm wanting to get myself a decent corrado ( but not too pricey)but don't know which way to turn, a valver...g60....or the holy grail the Vr, any input on what would be a good way to start would ge great as there seem to be so many out there & just to know some of the pro's & con's of each model would be a great help.

I've had a few a few golf gti's mk's 2,3 & 4 so know how rewarding the older vw's are to drive & just fancy a bit more of the same but wrapped up in a bit more STYLE !!!

Any input would be great. cheers Andy

are ya rich? if not then best bet is a valver but if you have a credit card :lol: go for a g60 or vr there isnt much between them price wise unless you're talking low mileage vrs at which point they do get pricy the g60 and vr drink more and cost more to fix engine probs but they are very reliable if you look after them correctly if i was starting again id go for a vr and charge it. but there is something very addictive about a supercharged 1800 screaming away that you cant beat where are you if you want a drive i have both.

first of all i'm definately not rich, so costs will come in to the reckoning, i'm just after a good reliable daily driver & to have bit of fun in & to polish up each week & look great next to all my mates familymobiles ( of which we have one of those already!!)

Thanks for the offer to have a go of both yours but i'm afraid i live up north... no not manchester..proper north...newcastle & the corrado's are are as rare as rocky horse pooh up here so its pretty hard to get to 'try them out', i looked at a lovely valver (thanks scirrocotune) the other day which i found on this forum & was amazingly only about 10 miles away, but it was the first one i had even looked at so had nothing to compare it against & definately did'nt want to rush into anything just because it was local although it was hard to fault... :D

Valver if you're on a budget. Just check the service records and make sure all the big things have been done e.g. it's got recent discs and pads, cambelt, tyres etc, then hopefully you won't be landed with any major bills early on (unlike me!).

There not as rare as you think up here m8 trust me you just have too look for them. :)

well thats great to hear, are there any kind of meets going on up here then ?

from my experience, the valvers not that much cheaper to run, unless the charger blows. the difference in price is a charger rebuild at £350-£500 every 40k.. not bad at all for the extra power IMO.

Any Corrado will have its effect upon your wallet: remember, the last of them were made a decade ago, so they'll all need bits and bobs doing. But then, you could buy a car less than two years old and the engine could melt down. Sometimes it just comes down to luck of the draw as all machines can (and will!) go wrong. Bottom line is this: the Corrado has a lot of eccentricities which will go wrong and require time and money; however, it's still a sports car, and it's a dub, so you're getting the closest to having your cake and eating it that I think's possible. If you want trouble free motoring, buy a Volvo, but don't try and beat any of us down the slip road any time soon! Or try to pull. Ever.

So what's your way out of this doom and gloom of probable expense and time? Do everything sensible that the peeps on here have already said! Try and find one that's sound, preferably that's got the documentation to prove it, or failing that, get it checked over by someone who knows their way around. The great thing about this forum is that it's full of very friendly, incredibly knowledgeable (far more than I) people who will bend over backwards to help out, partly out of generosity, partly out of love for this remarkable car. There are all sorts of threads devoted to people prepared to go look at a 'rado with/for you, if you ask nicely! :-P This forum is also an absolutely vital (used in its true sense) resource for the life of your 'rado. When those things which will go wrong do, a quick use of the search function (there you go moddies) will almost invariably turn up a previous thread where someone's investigated and solved the problem. It'll tell you what to do, if you're of a mechanical mind, or where's best to have someone else do it. This forum's also invaluable in helping you source the part that the stealers no longer bother with (Corra..what?) or would happily sell you....for seventeen times the price on here...

Bottom line is that frequently your Corrado will test your patience and your finances 'til you swear that you've had enough and you'll never go near it again...but then, when it's fixed, you'll go out in it again and you'll be helplessly smitten. Best expression for it? "Big smile motoring" (not one of mine, I can't take credit). Every time I go out to work or play in the Corrado, I grin to myself. You can't beat it.

Basically it's like the girlfriend or boyfriend we all know we should have junked, because s/he's fickle, attention seeking, often high-maintenance and selfish but somehow, you can never stop going back to them.

Oh, and buy a VR! The noise...the noise...the noise...and the feeling of your head being slammed back into the headrest.

Sorry to all valver and G owners!

Hey, how about a thread comparing the merits of a VR and a G60? I don't think that's ever been done before. But then, I haven't used the search.

newcastle & the corrado's are are as rare as rocky horse pooh up here so its pretty hard to get to 'try them out', i looked at a lovely valver (thanks scirrocotune) the

[elvis] Why thank you very much [/elvis]

I would say that you need to look at how you drive, if you just drive nice a sedaet then something a bit slower like the 16v is good choice, generally the 2.0 is better with ABS etc.. if its power you want then VR no questions. IF its power with tuning then G60.

But im sure you will struggle with the choice anyway but best of luck...you are welcome to try mine for a proper drive if its still about :-)

alreet mate, what part of newcastle you from? i'm just over the water in gateshead, not far from sciroccotune actually. i've got a vr if you fancy a test drive,it'll give you an idea of the difference between the two. def not for sale though! if your interested i know of a very tidy white valver for sale, just been put through it mot so should be pretty sound. bodywork's excellent from what i can remember & it's been owned by a lady for the last 5ish years. it hardly gets used now so it needs to go to a new home.

i've got a vr if you fancy a test drive,it'll give you an idea of the difference

cheers mate, i've pm'd you

purpley-corrado-dude

I think you have one of my old vr6's a bramble boloured one reg. no. was L690PBD i owned that years ago when it was pretty new, has it still got the Momo M1 wheels on ?? whats it like now?? it was only a couple of years old when i bought, it was as new then !!!!

Toon vw wrote

first of all i'm definately not rich, so costs will come in to the reckoning, i'm just after a good reliable daily driver & to have bit of fun in & to polish up each week & look great next to all my mates familymobiles ( of which we have one of those already!!)

Thanks for the offer to have a go of both yours but i'm afraid i live up north... no not manchester..proper north...newcastle & the corrado's are are as rare as rocky horse pooh up here so its pretty hard to get to 'try them out', i looked at a lovely valver (thanks scirrocotune) the other day which i found on this forum & was amazingly only about 10 miles away, but it was the first one i had even looked at so had nothing to compare it against & definately did'nt want to rush into anything just because it was local although it was hard to fault...

Not that rare mate, im only in sunderland and ive got a red VR6 im in newcastle quite a bit as well so you may see it about !!

Jimmi..........................................

yeah that's mine, still got the momo wheels on. in desperate need of a refurb though! it's still in mint condition apart from a few stone chips on the front. the guy i bought it had it for years & he really looked after it, regularly serviced & he was quite handy himself so he done a lot of work on it himself. did you sell it to a guy in sunderland called will?

Yeah i sold the car to a guy called will, he lived in sunderland grangetown i think !! that was in about 1999 i think. I saw it a few times after but not seen it for a good 5 year or so now.

I cought it from carrs of hexham in about 95/96 it only had about 35k on it i sold it with 68ish on, what miles has it done now?

I might have some pictures of it ill see if i can dig them out, i took it to the nurburgring not long before i sold it, should have some pictures from then !!

Post a picture up of what it looks like now if you can,

Jimmi.....................................

I'd say the Valver or the 8V are the best introduction to Corrados, purely to experience the handling. They have the lightest engines and turn in beautifully. The VR6 feels very nose heavy after a Valver and consequently a bit heavier on the turn-in. It takes a lot of work to get the VR to feel as nimble as the 4 cylinder cars......but don't take that the wrong way, it doesn't mean the VR is a bad handler, far from it.....it's just a different experience, more laid back and less darty. But there is loads you can do to a VR to make it more aggressive and agile though.

VRs are cheap to buy now, but not cheap to run or maintain....so there again the lower powered cars score highly.

You can move up to VRness when funds allow......and then the sky is the limit as you can crazy power from the VR with a turbo.....

when i bought it in january this year it had 98k on it, showing 102K now. i'll take some pics & post them up, be a camera phone so don't know what the quality will be like!

I would agree with Kev, I had my 2.0 16v for a year before getting the VR6 -

I would never go back now but I am glad I experienced it and now I can fully appreciate the difference!

First of all a big shout for ' purpley-corrado-dude ' for offering to meet me & show me around his...funnily enough' purpley corrado ' vr, & even allowing me to have a drive of his pride & joy,( it is absolutely stunning) as i say i am new to the forum & i am absolutely astounded by the dedication all you guys have to your raddo's but mainly the simple fact that everyone will bend over backwards to help each other out if needed as the ' dude ' has today, once again cheers mate. I must say after experiencing the 6 pot beast in full flight :D i am going to find it hard to convince myself that it might be a ' sensible ' idea to give a valver a go for a while, although i can understand what you are saying about being able to appreciate the different experiences the two cars will undoubtably bring.

Do you think it is always very important to have loads of stamps in the service book or just rely on what info you are given by the owner & how should it affect the value of the car do you reckon?

A big thanks to everyone thats contributed so for & keep em coming !!

I graduated from a valver to a VR and that made the Corrado experience even better - I loved the 16v but moving to the VR was mind blowing. I'd get an early 16v to experience the old styling - recessed bonnet and old interior then go for a VR in a year or two. Good luck! :thumb right:

personally i wanted one with full service history but i if i couldn't of found one with service history & it had a load of reciepts for parts & stuff then i'd still be tempted to buy it. as you've found out most of these cars are owned by corrado nutters so they tend to be well looked after. you tell a lot about the car by the owner, i've bought cars of people who have had 5 & 6 corrados so i know they love 'em! but your best bet is printing of a copy of the buyers guide & take it with you when you go to look at one. if your like me you'll be too excited about getting one & forget to check loads of stuff!!!