Sign in to follow this  
Dec

Aluminium flywheels

Are the G60 and 16v flywheels the same?

I found these alu flywheels in the States, they seem to be a good price, but I was wondering if anyone had any other sources for lightweight flywheels or info on these specific ones.

Lightweight flywheels :wink:

i asked a guy once on ebay selling flywheels about the same thing.

he said they are the same. but didnt trust him 100% hence why i didnt bid

There are machinists in this country which can take your old flywheel or an exchange and machine and balance it for you. I found a few places on google a while back.

Are the G60 and 16v flywheels the same?

I found these alu flywheels in the States, they seem to be a good price, but I was wondering if anyone had any other sources for lightweight flywheels or info on these specific ones.

Lightweight flywheels :wink:

seems a lot of dosh for what you could effectively get done by machining your existing flywheel (IRO 80-100 quid in the UK?)

You don't want to loose too much weight on a road car as it will affect idle and smoothness if you go too far.

David.

It is about twice the cost of getting the standard flywheel lightened and balanced afaik.

But I've heard bad things about lightening cast Iron flywheels...and tbh I'd prefer to go for a properly made replacement!

It is about twice the cost of getting the standard flywheel lightened and balanced afaik.

But I've heard bad things about lightening cast Iron flywheels...and tbh I'd prefer to go for a properly made replacement!

Nothing wrong with a properly machined OEM flywheel, just get it done by a reputable company that knows where to take the metal from!

I've had no problems with my machined VW flywheel since fitting it 2 years ago. IIRC it is 5Kg and the car is still perfectly smooth in traffic jams with on/off throttle driving and a perfect idle too. Racepower motorsport did mine.

snap, Racepower did mine too 3 years ago and it's had some abuse since then! :lol:

KR (1.8 16v), 9A (2.0 16v) and PG (G60) flywheels are the same.

Not true for the KR engine.

The KR Golf engine has a 212mm, the KR Corrado engine has the larger 228mm diameter flywheel.

where are Racepower based? any website? (I couldn't find one when I googled the name)

The KR Golf engine has a 212mm, the KR Corrado engine has the larger 228mm diameter flywheel.

Yeah, I had heard that the 16v golf ones are completely different to the C's :wink:

Yeah, I had heard that the 16v golf ones are completely different to the C's :wink:

cause of the rod change 020 gearbox.