Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Here's a Goodun...

Bonjour

A new problem has developed with my wifes delightfull 8v.

The headlight switch buggered up a couple of weeks ago , so I replaced it with a 2nd hand one. Since replacing it , the light switch seems to be canceling out the ignition switch :? :lol: - in that, if she's driving with the lights on , when she comes to a stop and turns the engine off with the key the engine keeps running , untill she turns the lights off :lol:

Any ideas?

That's a weird one... You've kin of got the opposite of a push button starter!

It's upset with you because you didn't let it attack jamie oliver, when it had the chance! :D

Is it just connected via a multi plug rather than individual connectors on the back, nothing could be plugged in wrongly? I would guess that, there is a feed, possibly from a faulty relay, going to the switch, when it is turned on there is a +12v supply going from the light switch to the ignition which is keeping the fuel pump and ecu etc going, but i wouldn't have thought the fuse for the lights would take that sort of current....

Sorry I'm a bit rambley, I'm trying to think my way through the problem while I type. It might be worth checking the connection to the switch and that nothing is earthing, or any wires haven't chafed through, and trying a new light relay. It could be corrosion in the fuse box too.

It's upset with you because you didn't let it attack jamie oliver, when it had the chance! :D

Is it just connected via a multi plug rather than individual connectors on the back, nothing could be plugged in wrongly? I would guess that, there is a feed, possibly from a faulty relay, going to the switch, when it is turned on there is a +12v supply going from the light switch to the ignition which is keeping the fuel pump and ecu etc going, but i wouldn't have thought the fuse for the lights would take that sort of current....

Sorry I'm a bit rambley, I'm trying to think my way through the problem while I type. It might be worth checking the connection to the switch and that nothing is earthing, or any wires haven't chafed through, and trying a new light relay. It could be corrosion in the fuse box too.

:o ..Errrr, Does that mean it's broken?

:o ..Errrr, Does that mean it's broken?

Only slightly broken, but it could get more brokener if there is some electrical wire chafing or something. Try borrowing a relay off another pasty munching corrado owner, that would be a really simple and easy test, if it isn't that, then get your electricians pants on, and your multimeter out!!

I'm assuming it has a mutli plug at the back which the connectors shove into?

Cool, I just wanted to check that it couldn't be a terminal mix up thats causing the running.

Does it do it when the switch is off?

If not its likely to be a short in the switch which is putting the perm 12v supply in the headlight switch, down the switched 12v supply from the ignition keeping everything live as mentioned before.

Jay

Yep - this is why i'd never consider using a second hand headlight switch - way too much of a risk...

In fact I burnt a loom out with a 'brand new' switch bought for £1 at a show (excess stock - I know why now!) - I now have an inline fuse on the earth of the loom.

On second thoughts, I prefer their answers :oops: .

I hadn't considered things entirely at first such as having so many pins, or the permanant live (for the sidelights I assume)

I just thought headlamp switch>simple>switched feed from ignition, sidelights, and headlamps.

Nevermind, you live and learn.

Might be worth trying a continuity tester, if Mr Renshaw et al are correct, you should find a connection between the permanant live and the switched live. These should be marked on the back of the switch, judging by the picture from the other post, if not, it's electricians pants and detectives hat on time!

Jay - Nah, it only does it when the switch is turned on , and it's only been happening since I swapped the switch - so I suppose it must be the switch :?

Another thing i've noticed , since we've had the car the dash lights come on with the ignition, so they're perminantly on when the ignitions on whether the lights are on or not :lol:

'tis the car that Jack built

My dash lights on the blue one do that too.

Do they? - Hmmmm, the plot thinkens. Anyone else???

Yeah....... there's something strange afoot i tell ye

I noticed it the other day.

Errr....... and it may well have only started since I feked around with fuses and relays getting all the other gubbins to work :)

Great, cheers for that. I'll try swapping the switch for another one.

P.S, You're looking a bit stressed in that pic there Jay, not regretting selling the rado are you? :wink: