Sign in to follow this  
G60SC_Stoney

buying a mini

i think im going to get an old mini cooper (old style, not the BMW ones), i know they rust like sh*t but think it would be a fun economical runabout so i can put my c away in the garage from time to time, anyone got any advice ? would it be easier for me to get a lesser engined model, i.e a mayfair and drop a tuned up 1300 engine in ? whats the difference (except engine) between a cooper and a normal mini ?

he sells new BMW ones tho doesn't he???? not the rover badged ones that "Stoney" is mentioning

EDIT.............. :twisted: cunning post removal Walesy :twisted:

^^ I deleted my post mate when I realised how off the mark it was :lol: :oops:

Must remember not to skim read so badly!

:roll:

Parts for the original minis are DIRT cheap and readily available, as are hot-up parts for both engine and suspension...

Think you may be a little suprised by how much these are selling for at the moment... they're somewhat sought after and as a result, are pulling good money when they go for sale... :|

yeah, mini's arent the cheap option they used to be, especially ones in good condition, think £3k+!

A mate of mine had a few when we were students, clapped out ones mostly which he ran til they blew up then replaced with another equally as knackered. Still loads of fun though, for the engine size and the prehistoric nature of their construction they're an absolute riot to chuck about.

I think the Coopers had disc brakes up front and different suspension to the standard mini's, though i'm not 100% on that

cool, looking to get one for about £2500, me missus dad works as a mechanic so can get parts cheap as chips and fit them for free, just dont want to get a shed thats had more welding than a WW2 ship!!

I spent more on 3 minis than 2 VR6s on spares/repairs/mods. They are a great laugh. IIRC The first coopers were actually modified by cooper garages (you'll not get one for your money) later ones used the later A+ injection engine, and had cooper stripes etc but all from rover. Then they started the works with 13" wheels, more power etc which were cooper garages again.

I got through a few engines. One was alegedly running near 100bhp. it was bored to 1310, ported head, and massive carb. It was so quick off the mark. Eventually it broke all my engine and some subframe mounts and started to pull off the wings. Then its gear box blew. oh well only £150 for another engine...

Going the cheap mini, tuned (bigger CC) engine route makes for big insurance but more fum... don't expect good mpg either.

I have a huge collection of Mini Mags (80ish) with loads of info in them, they are yours if you want them for 1p. :-D oh and I am about to clear my garage of mini parts on to ebay too.

quality, ive been looking through a few mini mags, parts really are cheap as chips, could just buy a solid shell uprate the brakes and suspension and whack a nice tuned engine in it, i just want something fun and interesting!!

My sister in law has a red S with union jack flag, well nice and stupendously small. Not had a go in it yet...

quality, ive been looking through a few mini mags, parts really are cheap as chips, could just buy a solid shell uprate the brakes and suspension and whack a nice tuned engine in it, i just want something fun and interesting!!

Are you going to Combe this Saturday? I'm going with a mate who could talk to you for hours about mini's! Seriously! He spent a good few years doing a project which had a 1310 turbo lump with straight cut gears. It was so noisy! After it blew up once he sold it as unfinished and swapped over to dubs. Still has a soft spot for them though, and his jaw dropped to the floor when we went up to Stealth last week and saw the mini place just across the way from them...

Used to own one myself. They're great fun, but not at all practical...

Steve

I lad i know down Burton has a yellow mini with a 1.3 MG turbo lump in it, and that thing is ridiculously fast! There is also a guy knocking about the web that is building a mini TT!! He widened the entire bodyshell in order to fit in a 3.2 V6, TT dash and 4WD system, now imagine how crazy that is going to be!!

got to get one now, arranged to go and find a couple and have a look at some when i get my c working, he's just detroyed his track racing mini down at goodwood, gears werent long enough for the straights, revs to about 8k and only does 80ish!!! sounds well mad!!