Sign in to follow this  
munkay

G60 Top Speed

from 70-80mph my (any I guess) G60 pulls hard in 5th as sits at 3000rpm+

Is the top speed on one gained in 4th or 5th?

I never really go down into 4th on motorway to overtake quickly as 5th still seems to have plenty power to go.

Just got thinking on drive tonight what optimum gear for power is. I reckon with mine it seems:

1st - no real use as needs change way to quick if not wheel spin,

2nd - 30- 60mph tops

3rd 50- 85ish

4th 80 - ??

5th 80+ always pulls ok

What do you all think?

I dont think 2nd will get you too 60 bud, thats a big point about the crap 0-60 times of the G60. 4th of mine gets me to just above 110 on a private road, and yeah, about 80 in 5th does always have a good feel for pulling on the dual carriageway. Though i think dropping too low in gears on 5th makes it struggle a bit. my driving style just tends to make me downchange where evr possible :twisted: "sure, it could manage it in that gear, but look how well it manages in this one!!!" :twisted:

:lol:

No idea about the G60 but can vouch for the VR6....

1st - 0 to 30moh (but usually wheel spin)

2nd - 30 to 70mph

3rd - 70mph to 100mph

4th - 100mph to 125mph

5th - 125mph to ahem.... 150mph 8) :lol:

Scott.

The G60 deff needs the first second n third from a VR. i took a vr on a couple of weeks ago. he started to pull from me in first n second and then i passed him in third/low 4th. seem a v good set of cogs in a VR

I assume your G60 is modified?

I upset the driver of a brand new Mondeo ST200 last night on the M60... I reckons he'll be taking it back to ford now :lol:

The G60 deff needs the first second n third from a VR. i took a vr on a couple of weeks ago. he started to pull from me in first n second and then i passed him in third/low 4th. seem a v good set of cogs in a VR

Ive heard it mentioned in the past that the vr gear ratios are the worst vw have ever done, personally I think 1st and 2nd are spot on but the rest could do with being lowered a bit.

6 speed box from Stealth looks very tempting. 8)

Personally I'd like an overdrive in my VR.

I don't think I'd want to stretch the lower ratios any further, but I'd like a ratio that drops me to below 3k rpm at 90 for cruising in... :)

Lets face it, if the VR had been the car the designers intended, it would have shipped with a VSR, and you'd only need 2nd and 5th, due to the torque band being wider than a opera singer's a*** after a week on the cream buns.

****edit****swearing-vr6storm :wink:

Ive heard it mentioned in the past that the vr gear ratios are the worst vw have ever done, personally I think 1st and 2nd are spot on but the rest could do with being lowered a bit.

6 speed box from Stealth looks very tempting. 8)

They're quite tall to make use of the engine's torque and I suspect that just as Vauxhall do, they used tall ratios to get decentish mpg figures.

4th gear is my favourite. 5th just feels too flat until you get the car up to 95-100mph. 4th pulls nicely from about 35ish and just keeps going way past 100mph :lol:

Kev