Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

Stainless steel VR6 6-2-1 exhaust manifold - whats the best?

I dont think you'll ever get a vr6 to sound like a saxo :wink: I ve got one but its sat in the garage so not sure on the sound front but cant see it making any louder though.

got mine sat in the garage too, along with the de-cat pipe and Chrome inlet manifold

Oh dear, more ways to spend all that hard earned! Sounds very tempting....just like the Rotrex I saw at the Stealth RR Day 2 weeks ago...and the FK coilovers and the BMC CDA! Where do I stop?! I could almost be running a new GTI for the money I seem to sink into my C.....but I wouldn't have it any other way! :wink:

.....My wife might leave me though.

How's everyone enjoying their new manifold then?

Fantastic don't you think. It's such a cool noise. I reckon it sounds kind of like a that clicky Harley noise. You can hear each cylinder fire. When i first heard it i thought an old fiesta was trying to overtake.

The weight saving is massive. I picked up the original cat and manifold and reckon their well over double the weight of the stainless stuff - all i can say is well chuffed - excellent mod if anyone is considering.

Mine sounded like that - it was blowing.

The two bolts that secure the flexi joint are too long and they stop the 3 bolt cat ( de-cat?) flange sitting flush , I ground down the protuding ends of the bolts and it now fits properly without blowing. 8)

rado.001, if you need some wrap try eBay, think I have at least 60% of the 50metres of black graphite impreg stuff I bought, if you like will send you it, then you just need to pop down to Screwfix and buy some jubilees to hold the ends of the wrap. PM me if you're interested.

Hi there

For those who have had it fitted for a while; Have you had any problems with the raceland stainless steel manifold?

Is the build quality OK or has anything split yet?

Being completely honest no problems with mine at all.

I haven't heat wrapped mine nor have i got round to retrofitting my heatshield which is another saturday job. I would say this is a must as it must affect the throttle body.

I had new engine mounts fitted all round with a VT at the front so this may have helped with limiting flex at the join to the cat? who knows?

Still pleased i got it fitted as it gives the car a more characterised noise at low revs amongst other benefits. If a standard BMW M3 has them fitted they must be there for a reason.

no problems whatsoever, have not got mine heat wrapped either.

such a lovely looking thing shame to cover it up, expecially when it has been on for a while and is nice and gold looking ;)

had no problems at all with mine either. Mine is wrapped. I've also got a competition front mount to minimse the risk of fekin the 6 branch.

If a standard BMW M3 has them fitted they must be there for a reason.

Even my Missus's Rover 25 1.4 has a tubular Fanimold (sic) :lol:

I would say though that when the Corrado was made, tubular manifolds were only on exotic cars that weren't designed to do 100,000 miles, so iron and regular front pipes were a safer (and cheaper) bet.

That's still true today to an extent and you'll be lucky to get 100K out of an E46 M3 (especially with it's brutal SMG box), but quality and materials have improved massively and tubular jobbies are much better now.

well i brought my raceland manifold from worthersee last year i paid 230 euros and had it sent to england,haven't had it wraped but was thinking to just to cut down on the heat,guess i'll have to now.

mine also sounds like its blowing but i've had the car running in the air and felt no air coming out of the connection between the cat and manifold,it must just be the way it sounds.

no probs at all with my 6 branch,but it does change the sound of the vr.

you'll get used to it.....

You need to wrap tubular manifolds on the VR for two reasons:-

1) To stop excess heat baking the throttle (bad for intake temps)

2) Tubular manifolds don't retain heat anywhere near as well as iron and you need that stored heat to help pull the exhaust gases out of the cylinders. Wrapping keeps the heat inside the manifold where it belongs ;-)

Considering the raceland 6 branch, not a mechanic though so wondering what time scale it is to fit it as my lovely garage charges £35 per hour!

Amazing that you lot love those things. Every drag racer that has tried them has gone faster on stock ported manifolds..

Amazing that you lot love those things. Every drag racer that has tried them has gone faster on stock ported manifolds..

HELLO......... IT'S THE SOUND THEY MAKE!!!!!

Jeez :)

rite ive finaly got round to fittin my racland 6 branch i got off that guy on ebay. but i cant work out how it connects to my decat? the 6 branch has 2 bolts and the cat has 3?

i know this probably sounds dumb but can someone help me!?!? :oops:

there is an adapter plate with the manifold that bolts onto the two bolt manifold flange to make it three bolt to match the cat flange.

rite ive finaly got round to fittin my racland 6 branch i got off that guy on ebay. but i cant work out how it connects to my decat? the 6 branch has 2 bolts and the cat has 3?

i know this probably sounds dumb but can someone help me!?!?

I've got a raceland fitted with a decat pipe, I'm away till the weekend but if you still don't have it sorted by then I'll have a look at how it fits and post up some pics

there is an adapter plate with the manifold that bolts onto the two bolt manifold flange to make it three bolt to match the cat flange.

i did get this with mine, all that came in the box was the manifold, 2 boilts, 2 springs, 4 washes, peice that look it was surpose to bolit to the mani but that onlky had 2 holes init?!

anyone got any pics of this bit, i know i didnt get a plat with 3 holes in the box with the mani! do u think it too late to ask for a replacement as i bought the mani at the beginin of the year!?

hi dave,

as you can see in the pic (not my pic but 100% tha same), mine had a adaptor plate with 2 holes in it, also another adaptor with 3 holes in it, so if you did not get an adaptor with your manifold, then yeh get onto the supplier ASAP. because without it, you wont be able to join the manifold to the cat/de-cat.

karl