Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Castle Coombe Mk1 Takes a pasting

Poor Poor Beast

For those who were there and those that wernt, there was a very tasty Mk1 which had a bit of an off at the track day the other weekend.

I missed it meself but saw the aftermath.

Wizz forward to about 3 and a half mins. Crunch.

F'ing crazy frog...

Jesus - that was a big crash, it hit harder than I expected even after looking at the damage... (I was looking the wrong way when it actually happened)

That A4 was bloody quick too..

The crash looks a lot worse in the video than it seemed to from where we were stood by the finish line.. the guy was luccky to get some grip when he went back onto the track briefly to steer to the right a bit more - when I first saw him going through the grass I was thinking "uh oh" as a head on at the speed he was going would have hurt :|

How the hell did he end up on the grass in the first place? Surely that must have been a mechanical failure of some description.

thats just what I was thinking!

he turned onto the grass well before the corner, so something must have gone wrong, unless he thought he saw a shortcut...

maurice and his son are legendary, as is that mk1 and maurices mk2.

I would love to know what happened there

If you notice when he leaves the track for the grass, no break lights go on, I think there is a flicker just before he hits the track again, but obviously all to late by that stage..... looks nasty and a shame for the Mk1.

His brakes failed coming into camp corner so turned onto the grass to try and shed some speed. It all went a but FUBAR. :(

Ouch! looked bloody quick as well! 310bhp apparently and the audi was a tuned S4.

It said on club gti they were both 1.8t's with big turbos and tuned, so no surprise the mk1 was slightly quicker being so light and nimble. Or am i wrong?

The mk1 looked a wicked bit of kit, shame it crashed

Just to confirm that boiled fluid was the problem, and it was turned off circuit by Trevor Reeves to lengthen/slow down Camp via the grass. Handbrake wasn't an option, since it would have tipped it over when the tarmac resumed. The conclusion is that the Dynalites simply aren't up to the job and were retaining too much heat, together with the 1 piece discs - upgrade currently being arranged.

Rebuild thread here:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97945