Sign in to follow this  
Henny

G60 lost 2 cylinders, aarrgghh!! help?

maybe worth using that G60 block and putting some arps in.

the arps for my valve engine have a value where guys with loads of boost have lifted the head unless they torque um tighter by 10lbs/ft or so. helicoil wont help if thats needed to hold your compression + boost.

good luck on a cheap bill

right, attacked it again this weekend... :| Still not found anything wrong... :(

Timing is spot on (cam, and dizzy). Cam is turning OK and it all looks ok, as do Tappets. There's oil getting into the head and it looks OK and is pressurising the tappets which ARE opening the valves OK (I've watched 'em through the sparkplug hole!). Pistons look OK. Valves are sealing fine and I'm getting a nice 9.5bar compression on each cylinder (absolutely spot on the same on all 4 cylinders as tested with my new compression tester! :lol: ) Injectors are firing and I'm getting some fuel into the cylinders. Sparks are fine to all 4 cylinders and at reasonable times for it to fire. Oh, and the fuel IS flammable... pumped some into a jamjar and sparked it to see what happened... ;) :lol: :onfire:

So, current thinking is an inlet manifold leak or an FPR fault, although an FPR fault wouldn't affect the first 2 cylinders more than the second two if my understanding of fluid dynamics is correct... :| I've bought a new inlet manifold gasket and am going to remove the pheneloic (sp?) gasket and inlet manifold tonight and swap it for a standard gasket to see if that makes any difference.

I was thinking about this quite a lot over the weekend (as you can imagine it's been playing on my mind!) and I had a thought about the old "spray WD40 onto the inlet manifold to find a leak" trick... It wouldn't work on a G60 at idle as the inlet manifold is under constant POSITIVE pressure... IE if there's a leak, it'd be BLOWING air out of the manifold joint, not sucking it in, so WD40 wouldn't affect the running of the engine at all...

This is the only thing I can think of that would affect cylinders 1&2 and cause them to mis-fire.... if this doesn't work, it's going to a garage to see what they can do, and I'm going to a different garage and buying a Passat TDI instead of this POS Punto hire car! :lol:

Have you got a oil pressure gauge? what's the reading on that when it's running?

Try putting soapy water on the inlet manifold, and blow bubbles rather than sucking in wd 40.

Was the compression tested with the 2 cylinders firing or did you take the main ht lead off and ground it out? might make a difference with the two firing.

There's nothing wrong with the exhaust manifold or inlet manifold, such as a blockage of some sort? Have you tried removing the pipe from the charger? and turning it over?

I hope you find the answer out soon, it's doing my head in and I've never even seen the car....

How many degrees can the ECU retard timing on each cylinder by knock-sensor readings?

P.S. - I´m about to do a compression check tomorrow, which minimum / maximum values shall i get?

wuw, sorry to here about this Henn!

I'm thinking you have fuel, you have spark, you have compression etc etc etc, but you have no combustion in 1 & 2, the only thing you can possibly missing from the equasion is oxygen/fuel into the cylinder surely?

perhaps you have a cracked inlet manifold, knowing how hard you drive your car and the heat that is generated!!

thats my 2 penneth anyhoo, sounds like a right b.ll ache though, but hey, its ALLWAYS the last flocking thing you test ;-(

kongo127, I can't tell.... 'cos it's mis firing the knock sensor is going nuts... :roll:

Standard G60 compression is 8.5:1 so you should get around 8.5bar compression from each cylinder...

NickVR6, it appears that there IS occasional combustion in 1&2, just not all the time... :| It's always the last thing you test, 'cos once you've foung the problem, you don't keep looking! ;) :lol: I'm veering away from manifold and inlet gaskets at the moment as there's such a large gap between 1&2 on the inlet side that I can't see it leaking on both of them witout there being something VERY obvious wrong... She's going in for a leak-down test later this week if I can get it booked in to rule out headgasket once and for all... 8)

heres hoping mate!!! i've not been out in it yet!

if you need anything let me know, lifts etc

AARRGGHH!! my local (trusted) garage can't get the car in for 3 weeks 'cos they're too busy... :( :cry:

Think I'm gonna have to get the tools out and try to cure this myself by stripping her apart until I find something wrong... :|

AARRGGHH!! my local (trusted) garage can't get the car in for 3 weeks 'cos they're too busy... :( :cry:

Think I'm gonna have to get the tools out and try to cure this myself by stripping her apart until I find something wrong... :|

Have you got access to Air ian as i can lend you our Snap-on leak down tester.

nope, I haven't... :( Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated... 8)

I've asked my mate's boss if I can stick it in his garage to do a few quick tests as they're booked up until the 11th of September! :crazyeyes: but I want to do a couple of other tests to it this week and then I'll see what I can find afterwards...

Henny, That´s a really weird problem...

I couldn´t sleep one good night without the answer to it! :o

I´m going to ask a friend of mine who works at local VW garage to know if he ever had a similar problem.

About my car...

I guess i was really lucky!

I have just checked cylinders compression, and i got readings near 9.0bar for all of them.

I´m really chuffed now! :)

Also double checked timing belt position and timing.

The car is running ok, seems like nothing happened!

Please keep posting Henny!

Henny,

Lets go by parts...

- Cylinder compression - OK

- Fuel Injectors and harness - OK

There is fuel and spark all the times?

Are the tappets noisy?

This is very strange as it only happens on cylinders #1 and #2...

Could you have some stuck valves ocasionally?

I know that if they were stucked, the compression test wouldn´t be good.

But...

Are there any updates???

I still have the feeling that this is an electrical problem...

What do you think guys?

I'm picking up some new inlet manifold gaskets today and may have time on Sunday to remove the manifold to see if there's a leak there... if not, then it's going into my mates garage while I go on holiday for a week and I'll hope they get some time to have a quick look at it and find out what the problem is... 8)

Sorry to see you are having problems Henny. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted quickly and cheaply (if anything is cheap with g60s!)

Cheers

Paul

I had a similar fault with mine Henny, but it only dropped cylinder 1, I had spark and fuel, so really stumped me for ages, didn't think it could be the dizzy as it was only 5 months old but changed it anyway as a last resort and hey presto problem solved. Yours could be something else but hey its worth a go the hall

senders in the corrados are shite!!

Cheers Ant, I'll swap the dizzy for my spare one, although I doubt it's that as there's a definate spark at all 4 cylinders even when it's mis-firing... :(

Not had chance to find out what's wrong with her yet, but am aiming to spend a weekend on her over the next month or so to nail down what's wrong...

I'll keep you updated, but any more ideas are more than welcome and appreciated... 8)

still not found the problem... still not taken the head off though...

Kinda ended up getting married and bought a house etc etc etc... so not really had chance to sort it out... YET... I've still got her though, and she will be back on the road, oh yes, she will... and better than ever with any luck!

I'll post up what the problem was when I find it, but I'm 95% sure it's the head gasket leaking between cylinders 1 and 2 that's the problem and was caused by the fuel pump having gone weak... it was giving around 2.5 to 3 bar of fuel pressure... the regulator is a 3.5 bar one, so it's going to have been running very, very lean, and I wasn't exactly being subtle as I blew the Lotus away when the mis-fire started... :lol:

Henny, had same thing on my GTi Scirocco, ate the gasket between 2/3 IIRC (10 yrs ago) but basically the same symptoms, completely missed water and oilways too so didn't show as "Mayo cap" either... Even got away with no skim too!

still not found the problem... still not taken the head off though...

Kinda ended up getting married and bought a house etc etc etc... so not really had chance to sort it out... YET... I've still got her though, and she will be back on the road, oh yes, she will... and better than ever with any luck!

I'll post up what the problem was when I find it, but I'm 95% sure it's the head gasket leaking between cylinders 1 and 2 that's the problem and was caused by the fuel pump having gone weak... it was giving around 2.5 to 3 bar of fuel pressure... the regulator is a 3.5 bar one, so it's going to have been running very, very lean, and I wasn't exactly being subtle as I blew the Lotus away when the mis-fire started... :lol:

i have just read through this whole saga including your thread - it's like the phantom faulty corrado!

i still think it's electrial - i mean if the compression is INDENTICAL between all 4 clyinders, then surely it can't be the head gasket???

did you get a leakdown test done in the end?

it's so odd though seeing the lengths you've gone to with continuity testing and the amount of new bits on the car etc...

have you got a different ecu you could try on there?

oh and good luck btw! keep us updated :D

(and hurry up and get back on it! :lol: )

I tried a known good ECU right at the start... I'm pretty certain that I've ruled out any electrical problems now, so it's time to strip the head off the block and see what's going on inside her... Bought a headgasket now though, so all of the costly bits are in my stock pile to put her together again I just need to find time to do it... :brickwall:

whip the head off,rekon it's charge contamination stopping proper combustion.

HG probably gone between 1 and 2.

After everything you have done it must be that. :|

yup, that's what I reckon it is too.... just need to find some time... :?