Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Help and Advice on Sills

Need some advice and suggestions please.

The sills on my 1991 G60 are buggered and either need replacing or patching up, anyone had the job done recently? Any idea of cost, although would prefer a quality job rather than a quick fix.

Recomended garage/bodyshop in Yorkshire region with VW experience? Is the grey a difficult match to get right?

Have a nasty idea that this is going to be expensive :shock: :cry:

Many thanks.

had mine welded and resprayed also for £290 and that included rear bumper resprayed to and a scrap removed from front bumper, plu got left over paint for touch up

OK, here's some advice from some-one who's dealt with 30yr+ cars.

If it's a small area, fine have it patched up, but you'll need to go to a proper bodyshop who you can trust to make sure there's NO more rot in the sill. Otherwise you'll be doing it all over again in a couple of years. As you're going to have a small are re-spayed if it's patched you may as well go the whole hog and get them to strip a bit further each side just to make sure.

Sorry if I've told Granny to suck Eggs....

Got an excellent place just behind my unit, Malin motor bodies Hillsborough Sheffield. Never seen anything poor come out of the place, reasonable prices and they do all sorts of restoration work. The only bodyshop I’ve ever recommended because of there quality of work

Thanks everyone for the replies.

At least I now have some idea of how much I should be paying.

As ever it's finding a place that you can trust to do it right first time and that actually wants to do it! Alot of the local shops only want to deal with run-of-the-mill insurance work.

Whereabouts in Hillsborough VR6Banana is Malin Motors? Is it just off of the carriageway that passes the football ground & dog track? May be worth a look.

Cheers.

Just got one of my sills patched up, the guy at the bodyshop told me it'd be a BIG job to fit a new one (hours of work). The work he's done makes it look like a brand new sill anyway, think I paid £120 for it.

Whereabouts in Hillsborough VR6Banana is Malin Motors? Is it just off of the carriageway that passes the football ground & dog track? May be worth a look.

Cheers.

they are on the nutwood ind est, it's off limestone cottage lane at the end of claywheels lane (fletcher bakery is the big burnt building at the start of claywheels lane just off the duel carrageway)

if you've got sat nav then put in S6 1NJ

Daz

Critical_Mass, yup. I did have other work done as well so maybe I got a good deal for having the sill done at the same time.

Bit of a drive away but a mate runs a bodyshop in Shelf near Halifax.

CR Repairs

Unit 3,

11 Wade House Road

Shelf

Halifax

01274 678383

07729 955539

(Craig Renton)

He used to work for Impact in brighouse before setting up on his own, does very high quality work eps. likes VW's. He runs a mint 20vt Rallye.

Update!

Thanks for the address and contact number DanA.

Been to a few garages/bodyshops and at the moment the options are either get them patched up or go the whole hog and get new ones.

One bodyshop said only one side was really bad and to patch that side would be £250, but would also include sorting the bubbling wheelarch and colour matching the whole side. Taking out any dents and dings as well.

Whereas the garage said they would put two new sills on, which would be £100. If I got the sills. But they couldn't colour match and they would end up being black.

Been in touch with local VAG dealer and new outer sills for a Corrado are about £35 each. Which I was well chuffed by, after previous enquiries about body panels for Corrado's.

So obviously now in a dilemma, as the wheel arches could do with some fettling at the same time.

Decisions, Decisions.