Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Temporary Insurance

Hi

Can I insure an additional car on my existing fully comp policy for a few weeks? I.e. 2 cars on one policy?

Cheers

I have a super special family value 400 quid with zero no claims policy, so I'm guessing the service may be fairly limited :)

It depends on the company , some do it and some don't mate, give them a call and get them to quote you happy :)

Don't make me think of that fekin advert mate! Aaaarrrggghhh!

I can't tell you how much I hate Suggs now - he's worse than Vordermn for gawd sake! :)

I rung up and you can add another car onto your policy for no longer than 30 days, under your no claims. There is a charge of course. I was going to do it when I bought the C and was selling my old one.

Just a word of warning, it's actually illegal to insure a car which already has an insurance policy somewhere else.

So if it's your g/f's car (and she's already insured), and you're trying to insure it through your insurance so you can drive it for a bit - it actually makes your insurance null and void.

Only one policy can be on a car at any one time (else in theory you could claim on both if you had an accident).

(Why do I know all these useless facts? :lol:)

Cheers Andi. But no. Two vr's. One going to stealth on saturday for open heart surgery and I need to get it there (relatively) legally.

Just a word of warning, it's actually illegal to insure a car which already has an insurance policy somewhere else.

And that's why they ask you if you're the owner of the vehicle when taking out a policy on any car.

I had a ' multi-car policy ' with Admiral for a while, but with that you still get seperate certificates and you can only use your NCB on ONE of the vehicles insured.

If it's someone elses car you can either ask them to add you to their insurance for a day ( or however long it's needed ) or if your policy allows it you could drive it with TPFT cover if you and the owner of the car have comprehensive cover...I think :lol:

Probably cheaper to get it towed there, or a low loader.

Less hassle certainly.

Or ring the AA and say you've broken down on the way to the garage! :lol:

Cheaper to get a flat-bed (thats the term btw) to tow my car 130 miles than to insure it for the day? And less hassle?

Are you completely chicken oriental matey? :)

we used http://www.tempcover.com/ when we drove to spain. covered 3 people to drive through europe in a 2.8 shogun for £120.

you can have more than one policy on a vehicle, but you can only claim on one policy in the event of an accident/theft etc. you are legally obliged to declare the incident to both insurers, and they will work out the cover with the greatest insurable interest.

thanks for the info mate.

but can you have 2 cars on 1 policy?

cheers

it depends on the type of policy you have!

My policy with adrian flux allows me to add any other car for up to 30 days per year free of charge, but they have to be comparable or below in power/value.

I'm paying £250 to get a car brought up to Leeds from Kent (approx 260 miles) so it aint cheap. I considered the AA thing but it's not really worth it if they say no - plus they'd probably suss somethings dodgy as it's got a spare engine in the boot! (In the interests of all things educational I feel it is necessary to point out the flat backs are also referred to as Beavertails)

Trailor hires cheap (£45 for a day) but they want big deposits (£250), and you need a towbar :pukeright:

some insurance companies will let you temporarily add another vehicle to your existing policy for a short period of time for a charge but it depands on the cover.

I work at HIC insurance and we can also do short term policies, anything from 14days to 6months as long as you are 20 or over for tpft cover or 23+ for comprehensive...

Dunno if thats any help to you but feel free to pm me or ring me if you want me to try and do you a quote for it! 8)

some insurance companies will let you temporarily add another vehicle to your existing policy for a short period of time for a charge but it depands on the cover.

I work at HIC insurance and we can also do short term policies, anything from 14days to 6months as long as you are 20 or over for tpft cover or 23+ for comprehensive...

Dunno if thats any help to you but feel free to pm me or ring me if you want me to try and do you a quote for it! 8)

hmm.. group buy anyone!?