Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

New Scirocco in Auto Express

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoe ... is_go.html

Plans to resurrect the Eighties badge will be confirmed at next month's Paris Motor Show, when the German brand unveils a low-slung sporty four-seater coupé called the Concept S. We have discovered this model is designed to preview the Scirocco road car, as VW has given it the codename IROC!

After the Concept S makes its public debut, potential buyers will have to wait until 2008 before the roadgoing version arrives in VW main dealers here. When it does, the model will be the maker's first mid-sized coupé since the Corrado was axed in 1996.

The Scirocco is likely to have a similar face to the new Eos, and incorporate the familiar VW corporate grille.

A wide range of powerful engines is being lined up, including the new 1.4-litre turbo and supercharged TSI unit from the Golf GT. The GTI's 197bhp 2.0-litre will also be available, as will a 170bhp TDI oil-burner. A range-topping model could use the Golf R32's 3.2-litre V6 or a new 260bhp version of VW's 2.0-litre turbocharged FSI engine.

There will be a choice of either six-speed manual or DSG clutchless manual transmissions. The car is to be built on an all-new platform which will also underpin the next-generation Golf - although in the Scirocco this will be tuned to offer a more sporty drive.

to be honest, I think with the advent of the "corporate faces" and pedestrian safety in cars these days it has stopped the creative element coming thru.

I know cars have always had similar front ends, but nowadays companies are reusing the front part of the car (VAG, Alfa etc)

I dont think we will see to much innovation, as mistakes are too costly

Agreed, common platform sharing stifles flair. Look at the new Alfa Spider for example. It's either FWD or 4WD. Not RWD like I suspect a lot of the old Alfa fans would like. It's also little more than a poncy scuttle shake-ridden boulevard cruiser as it's too heavy to do anything else. It's also lost the legendary V6 in favour of a GM unit found in Vauxhalls and Saabs.

Based on that AE photo, my G60 has nothing to worry about for a long while!

When it appears, no doubt it'll probably be a very competent car. Go round bends well enough due to hordes of electronics and a whizzy multi-link suspensions. Dull as dish water though in every other respect.

We will be having an exclusive review and photos from the launch event, so don't worry ;)

My gut feeling is that it will have a distinct EOS look to it, certainly hope its shorter and has a more sporting dashboard - time will tell whether my deposit translates into a confirmed order

That's it? :? :roll:

After all the promising "scoop" photos shown so far I'd be very disappointed if that is the end result - not at all eyecatching and the design is far too heavy. The huge wheels in that picture don't do it any favours either.

Looks more like a comfortable coupe for middle aged people than a sports coupe in the vein of the original Rocco.

The car hasn't been unveiled yet, so no, that's not it!

Calm down, dear. It's only a mock-up.

That's not a rocco!

Exactly - it's not based on a 53i chassis and not Karmann built.

We'll hopefully know more when Jim and Eric fly out in a couple of days...

Yeah - I think thats just a Photoshopped EOS.

I'm off to Berlin with Tempest in two days time for the pre-public launch of the IROC - I will be back the following day to scribe some sort of review and I should have some photo's all being well :)

Clearly its gonna be horrible when it does come out.

We're all into 'old' corrados, so what are the chances of many of us liking some hideous modern corporate dog :)

I dunno.. yes we like the old stuff but then VW have proven that they can make SOME desirable new stuff like the new GTI and MK4/MK5 R32's... they just need to give it a bit of a wild streak thats all.

For me the Mk5 R32 is a case in point mate.

Decent hardware.

One ugly mutha of a car though. Absolutely disgusting.

I think the Mk4 R32 is the only thing since the Rado that is even half way desireable! And even thats a bit of a lard-a*se! (like myself) :)

I seem to have come around to liking the MK5 tbh...

I dunno - we'll wait and see. VW should know how important that it is they get this right. We just have to hope that they do.

It is a big step in the wrong direction NOT doing this with Karmann but after all the conversations this weekend we had with some of the old designers and employees, they were incredibly confrontational with VW about so much of the styling and design, its hardly any wonder VW want to do it all in house after the bad taste left in their mouths from the Corrado.

Shame really!

I agree mate.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced I/we are representative of the market vw is trying to 'get it right' for?

I'm guessing our friends over the pond will have a strong influence over the design. As they do in most cars these days as its such a huge market for any manufacturer.

Fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath :)

VW have proven that they can make SOME desirable new stuff like the new GTI and MK4/MK5 R32's... they just need to give it a bit of a wild streak thats all.

Your examples are all examples of what I personally no longer like about VW (mass-produced, washed-down looking cars loaded to the brim with useless electronics - all I want is a road-legal go-kart!), but they do indeed still have the design talent, see here (wild streak and all :shock:):

c4d5c485fcf02af9a458a4bb47a841.jpg

That probably will never make it in reality :roll:

they were incredibly confrontational with VW about so much of the styling and design, its hardly any wonder VW want to do it all in house after the bad taste left in their mouths from the Corrado.

Let's rephrase that a bit: If VW had been allowed to take all the decisions, the Corrado would look sh*te. Small (Audi TT-like) rear spoiler, pop-up lights and narrow C-pillar anyone (just to name a few things that VW would have forced down our throats, if it hadn't been for Schwebe at Karmann stopping them)?

Tempest