Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

95 or 97 ron unleaded

Hi all, read somewhere that the 16v should be run on 97 ron (super-plus) unleaded. Is this so?? I've been using regular since owning my valver (3 months) and starting to wonder if the fuel may be a contributing factor in the recent probs i've had (probs with hot starting)

I'm about to (this weekend hopefully) swap for a shiny new set of injectors and don't want to knacker them using the wrong fuel.

Is there anything that can be done to "convert" it to run on 95 ron??

Cheers guys...

it will run fine on 95 but will just lose a bit of power, run on whatever you can get at your petrol station.

Theres only 1 garage in the Isle of Wight that sell super unleaded so i rarely put it in mine

No its fine to run 95 its recommended to run premium 97 but un less your very rich or you take the lead shoe off your right foot 95 will do...

Just an odd poit i noticed my VR seems to drink 95 alot quicker than 97, anyone else noticed anything like this or is it just me??

Seriously...................... so what should I be running my G on ? normally i run it on unleaded, when i got a bit of extra money she gets a tank or two of optimax and I try to use super unleaded as much as i can but more often than not have to buy beer at the same time so she just gets unleaded :oops: :)

I find that I get more MPG from Super unleaded and reacon if I worked it out on a pence per mile basis they would be pretty similar

Do you reckon you get any performance gains? Might have to run the tank down and give it a try. Are there any down points to using super?

Just an odd poit i noticed my VR seems to drink 95 alot quicker than 97, anyone else noticed anything like this or is it just me??

I've found this with all my petrol VW's.

2 mk1 rocco's, 2 mk2 Golf GTi's - so the VR will get super everytime.

I'm looking at my 1995 Corrado brochure and spec list and it says:

Fuel grade, minimum: 8v 95RON 16v 95RON VR6 98RON

I alway try to use Super but it is usually only 97RON anyway so still below the minimum recommended by VW..

I alway try to use Super but it is usually only 97RON anyway so still below the minimum recommended by VW..

Yeah Supermarket stuff is 97 (execpt Tesco's - 99) as is Esso.

Optimax is 98, BP ultimate 98

(I THINK!)

I always ran mine on Tesco 99 and the smoothness of acceleration was great. I found BP Ultimate to be horrid, car always lumpy on it and would choose Optimax over it if you have no Tesco 99 in the vacinity 8)

Filled up today with Tesco Super, smiled all the way to the cash desk, first full tank of super under £60. At 96p a litre, its goin to win over Optimax at 103p a litre any day!!!!

Car feels a little smoother, better acceleration I think, might just be in my head though!!

mine doesnt seem to like 95.. it really struggles when i put my foot down.

i always use sainsburys 97.. 10p per litre cheaper than anywhere else for 97/98 and seems th same.

tried tesco super and even the european v power shell,, but mine always reacts better with optimax!!!

i always use sainsburys 97.

Yep - cheapest super for me too :)

Tesco's seems to be about 4p/l more :?:

Just filled up on Tesco Super which is 99Ron (according to the pumps) and been out for a bit of a thrash. Definately feels smoother both when idling and accelerating. Might give optimax a try but certainly won't be using std unleaded again!

I was converted to optimax a while back.

I Went to fill up the other night and optimax has been replaced by Shell. It now sells V-Power 99 octane! I noticed an almost immediate change for the better in the c. Its more expensive than supermarket fuel but If I wanted cheap motoring I would not have bought a VR6 in the first place.

i always used to use super market 'super' unleaded until i was shown the shocking state of my injectors and valves, really clogged up and shitty, got them fully cleaned and sorted and only run mine vr6 on BP ultimate now, supermarkets are cheaper but don't contain the detergents and additives to keep things performing well.

i also find i get noticibly better fuel comsumption using ultimate over 95oct.