herisites

Rob's R32 Corrado - FOR SALE :(

Looking good Rob, I'm half tempted to make the trip over to your place today myself!

Unfortunately, due to the high intake of alcohol that was forced upon me last night I'm not feelingsafe to be out on the public roads! :pukeright:

If I'm feeling better later i'll give you a call, unless someone (Mr Deviant??) wants to pick me up on the way through???

Not much point coming over guys, its not running right :( its running like a bag of schite!

We have suspisions of my plug leads, they are blue but dont say anything on them other than silicon leads, they are also smaller than karls magnecors.

Im gunna try resetting the ECU first as it might just be confused, hopefully that will sort it as the ECU will learn again with the more air coming in. Other than that im thinking new leads, them big fcuk off chunky ones that Pete at Dub Power sell ought to do the job!

Have you scanned with vagcom for errors? also if try swapping leads with one of the other guys.

My VAG-COM doesnt work, was going to try karls leads but my leads wont come out with the plug removal tool! We got one off (the easy one on the edge) and replaced it with one of karls and it did seem a tad better which would point to crap leads, but didnt want to pull the others off for fear of fudging them up! So i need one of those long hollow spark plug removal tools that will go over the leads and just undo the plugs. But im going to try and get some of the big chunky ones from Dub Power, 10mm i think they are.

Well ... i took it for a spin! I rang Pete from DUBpower who has a rotrex on his and he said at idle it should be the same so its probably the mixture, he told me to take it out to see what its like on the move and ... it was great! :D it drove like normal but the throttle is just a bit jumpy and spluttery at low revs and it stil idles rough. IT GOES LIKE STINK! And i didnt even take it past 3.5k revs, the power delivery is almost turbo like but very low down the revs so goin round a tight bend in 2nd for example at low revs (2-2.5k) and put my foot and it lit the tyres up nicely :D Its pretty much silent as well, you can hear a very quiet whistle but when you change gear it kinda howls a bit, its not running a diverter valve yet though so maybe thats something to do with that.

The MFA was readin 9mpg :shock: so i reckon its runnning a tad rich which is why is a bit spluttery. Gunne try and get to the bottom of it though. I think once its sorted its going to be fan bloody tastic.

Well done Rob. Welcome to the FI club, mate.

I was with Dave today when you and Karl were speaking to him on the phone, and he was giving you some advice. Glad you got it running even if is a bit rich... The last 10% (ie. getting it running as close to OE smoothness as possible) is what will take the time now. :D

Its pretty much silent as well, you can hear a very quiet whistle but when you change gear it kinda howls a bit, its not running a diverter valve yet though so maybe thats something to do with that.

sounds like your making good progress there Rob, the quiet whistle will die down a bit as the charger gets bedded in and from what i've heard from Craziscot (he's running a Stage 1 C30-94) he gets the howl on gearchange too (probably worth you dropping him a quick pm)!

Well i gave the car an oil change today and took it out for another spin, this time a bit longer and took it up the revs a bit more, about 4-4.5k max whereas lastnight i didnt go above 3.5k. It does seem to feel better once it gets warm, it drives well but its just the idle thats still too low and a bit lumpy, its ilding at just over 500rpm! And also when i take it up the revs more and change gear there is a slight delay in throttle response when you accelerate making it a tad kangarooey! I think it could be MAF problems.

When it was running well though it felt great, fast but not stupidly fast (3rd gear fooking rules!!!). The power does come in quite low down, it has much better torque from the word go but the main power comes in around 3k and then you are off, well up to about 4.5k anyway as i didnt want to go much higher! It gets up to speed so fast and keeps pulling, i went to about 110mph (on a private road mind :wink:) and sat for a bit then pressed and it picked up instantly :D

There is still that loud howl when you let off the throttle/change gear if up the revs a bit, its actually quite a satisfying noise as the charger itself is almost silent, if you are just cruising through town at 30mph in say 3rd gear you can definately hear a whistle but its still very quiet, i would of liked a bit more whistle though :(

I reckon its actually running rich rather than lean which was my main worry as when coming down the revs the exhaust pops and bangs, so maybe its overfuelling at idle causing it to be lumpy/spluttery?

Once i have got it idling/running a bit smoother then i will try and get it on some rollers asap to find out what boost and power its giving as well as find out what the air fuel mixture is like etc.

Love to see this motor in the flesh....do you ever make it to the mk meet?

Not so much now no but i will try and get to the next one if i can as would be good to meet you and anyone else going.

Have missed loads since my motor has been off the road, if the C's not ready might have to come up in the missus vectra(sorry for swearing) :lol:

yay Rob glad to hear you are smiling again after the call Saturday.

Maybe the regulator? Try by-passing if it's running too rich?

Well ideally i would just return the fuelling back to standard for idle just to see if it is the fuelling, but i cant as we had to bypass the original fuel reg by cutting the end off it, so i need to keep the new reg in place. I am going to ring Storm though today and see what they think, hopefully its something simple!

Tonight i can confirm it is easily faster than a 350Z :D

My mate has just bought one, i didnt race him car to car but we went out in his and then i took him out in mine and down the same roads i was hitting the horizon much faster than his and i wasnt thraping it either as still not running perfect :D

The running issues is most likely running too rich at idle. I rang Storm today and Andy was almost certain its running rich at idle so i may need to make adjustments to the MAF apparently (Dave??!!) and it should be perfect. But i also need to get it scanned with VAG-COM to check my lamda sensor is ok as that could be a reason for overfuelling.

I also ideally need to get it tested for boost as i just have no idea what its running at the min, like i said it felt easily quicker than my mates 350Z and they are 280bhp, ok they are heavier but they aint slow! I hopefully have a machine polishing job to do this week all going well so with the money from that i am going to invest in a boost gauge and get that wired up. I am going to wire up my audi VDO gauges this week as well, just need to get a 5 bar sender for them!

Nice one Rob. Good to see you out on the roads enjoying the power.

Glad you done the 350z. :)

Me too :D he now wants to supercharge it and he's only just bought it :lol: His did go well though, definately not slow at all but mine delivers the power much more ferociously and he said its definately faster and like i said down the same roads i was getting down them a fair bit faster!

The noise when you back off is probably compressor surge as you are not running a DV / recirc valve. When you close the throttle, boost pressure is bouncing backwards over the compressor, trying to stall it.

When the car is idling, put a voltmeter across the MAF's ouput wire and ground. It should be around 1V. If it's much higher, there's your problem.

How far is the MAF from the charger inlet and did you make sure you mounted the MAF A) the right way round, and B) in the same orientation it would sit in the car? I.e. horizontal with the plug at an angle?

You can't retune a MAF table outside of a remap, you can only manipulate the signal.

Yeah i thought the howling noise was because its not running a diverter valve. I dunno whether to put one on, although Storm have said that with low boost the rotrex runs better without so i might leave it, atleast until i know what boost its running and if its running more than i thought i will put the diverter valve on.

I will give the voltmeter test a go then and see if that is the problem.

I have the MAF as far away as possible from the charger, i have a long flexible pipe going under the front bumper and the cone and maf sit basically in the passenger side wing. I have the MAF horizontal and tried to keep it at a slight angle etc like it was in the engine bay. I have just bought some 76mm straight pipe though so im going to run a straight bit of pipe between the cone and the maf which is essentially what it was originally with that straight bit of plastic pipe inside the air box, hopefully that will help it as well.

What type of ducting did you used in the end to go from the charger to the MAF sensor in the opposite wing? Was it that flexi fabric stuff?

If so I just thinking how air tight it might be as somebody has already mentioned it might not be the most water resistant, my thought being that it could be drawing in unmetered air into the charger if its not quite sealed? (does that make any sense?)

What type of ducting did you used in the end to go from the charger to the MAF sensor in the opposite wing? Was it that flexi fabric stuff?

If so I just thinking how air tight it might be as somebody has already mentioned it might not be the most water resistant, my thought being that it could be drawing in unmetered air into the charger if its not quite sealed? (does that make any sense?)

Yeah i suppose that does make sense really. I might have to change to some proper metal/silicon piping if that is the case.