Sign in to follow this  
essoblu

........i`m a newbie

i`ve been registered on here for a while, whilst looking for a project and now i have one i thought it best to introduce myself.

I should have done it ages ago according to my son j50dub but i could not see where to post so if this is in the wrong place please tell me.

Oh yes, i `spose youre all thinking god he must be an old fart...well yes i spose i am! :oops:

hi everybody :D

Hey there,

Welcome to the forum, everyone is dead helpfull dont hesitate to ask any questions.. What project you got then???? :cheers:

Thanks, erm........

it`s my son`s car (J50DUB) a 1.8 16v, the engine siezed up on him on the A38 near Derby:(

A mate of his saw a silver 8v GTI near Swadlincote for what seemed like a good price, so i gave him some cash for the Rado (too much tbh!!!)

and now it`s mine, it has a second hand 1.8 16v motor in it now

but it`s gonna be a money pit i should have broke it up but i don`t really want to, it won`t tick over evenly and the cam belt seems to be to tight, it sounds like it`s whinning. i`ve bought a second hand idle thingie and idle control box (?) so i`m going to try these first.

A local company put the engine in for us but i`m going back to ask them to re- check the cam belt, if they don`t do a satisfactory job then i`m off to see Midlland VW they were recommended by a work mate.

I need a drivers door, rear arches, front wing/s, a bonnet, a handbrake lever and the centre console e.t.c. from around the h/brake.

The (new) tyres on the front are wearing in an odd fashion offside is wearing on the outer edge and nearside is wearing on the inside.... then at the end of October it`s mot time???

what am i doing????

she who knows best will divorce me At this rate!

If you don't mind a slightly longer trip than to Midland VW, I'd recommend Madeley Testing Station near Ironbridge, they are regularly working on new / nearly new Evos / Impreza's etc, I have received superb service from them and the labour rate is a lot less than Midland VW. I have used Midland VW - good work but not exactly chatty / helpful

If you don't mind a slightly longer trip than to Midland VW, I'd recommend Madeley Testing Station near Ironbridge, they are regularly working on new / nearly new Evos / Impreza's etc, I have received superb service from them and the labour rate is a lot less than Midland VW. I have used Midland VW - good work but not exactly chatty / helpful

thanks, do you have the post code?

i`ll put it into multimap and have a look..... the lure of reasonable labour costs! :)

thanks for the welcome everybody 8) 8)

Madeley Testing Centre

Madeley Service Station/Ironbridge Rd

Telford, Madeley, TF7 5JU

01952 580558

Had three cars MOT'd there and they have been spot on - any work quoted for has been done on time and never a penny more than quoted for

essoblu wrote:

Oh yes, i `spose youre all thinking god he must be an old fart...well yes i spose i am!

You sure must be - I was probably the only one here who remembered the "Esso blue" tv ad campaign until you turned up!

Welcome!

(As I recall, children, blue paraffin was the subject of the ad campaign, there was even a daft but catchy jingle with it.

Long ago, before central heating, when we all lived in cardboard boxes in the gutter, before we went to bed or had a bath, we heated the room with a paraffin heater to melt the ice off the windows and the taps, etc.

The other paraffin was "Aladdin pink". I used to have to risk life and limb going for a couple of gallons of it from the nearest garage on my bike in Baltic weather. Ah! wonderful times.)

Actually, I still have both the Aladdin heaters we had when I was a boy. They must be over 40 years old. I keep them in the garage and have used them in power cuts (in the 1970s, mostly) or if I want to work in there in the winter.

They still work OK and I even renewed the wick in one - it was in its original box priced at 3/6d (18 new pence).

Trustworthy and cost effective low technology which will stand the test of time.

Sorry, essoblu - your name caused me to be overwhelmed with nostalgia for a moment, there.

essoblu wrote:

Oh yes, i `spose youre all thinking god he must be an old fart...well yes i spose i am!

You sure must be - I was probably the only one here who remembered the "Esso blue" tv ad campaign until you turned up!

Welcome!

(As I recall, children, blue paraffin was the subject of the ad campaign, there was even a daft but catchy jingle with it.

Long ago, before central heating, when we all lived in cardboard boxes in the gutter, before we went to bed or had a bath, we heated the room with a paraffin heater to melt the ice off the windows and the taps, etc.

The other paraffin was "Aladdin pink". I used to have to risk life and limb going for a couple of gallons of it from the nearest garage on my bike in Baltic weather. Ah! wonderful times.)

Actually, I still have both the Aladdin heaters we had when I was a boy. They must be over 40 years old. I keep them in the garage and have used them in power cuts (in the 1970s, mostly) or if I want to work in there in the winter.

They still work OK and I even renewed the wick in one - it was in its original box priced at 3/6d (18 new pence).

Trustworthy and cost effective low technology which will stand the test of time.

Sorry, essoblu - your name caused me to be overwhelmed with nostalgia for a moment, there.