Sign in to follow this  
G-Lader

GSF drilled discs for G60

Anyone bought these ? They look good but are they any good at stopping the car and did you buy the matching pads that GSF will no doubt recommend?

Cheers

Are you talking about the Zimmerman Discs that are croos drilled that they sell?

If so there really good- i reccomend them- preety good with pagid fast road pads.

i second that!

had them on the golf cl (239mm)

the golf 16v (256mm)

and now have them on my corrado not driven the car yet, but i expect them to be excellent.

16vG60 fitted zimmerman drilled disks to my C a couple of weeks ago and at the same time fitted MV14 calipers much better braking and also no stuck calipers anymore as they are alloy.

...I always thought 'drilled' discs were bad?

Risk of cracking, questionable benefit (with less surface area to grip) etc?

I thought most performance cars just went with grooved discs, and those that do have holes, are molded with them in, rather than drilled through later on...?

Just curious...

DtM.

The drilling on discs was originally done to remove the gas created by the brake pads under braking away from the surface.

Brake pads nowadays do not give off gases, so they, apart from being pretty, bare little benefit.

As for removing heat away from the discs - this is what the grooves are supposed to do - yes, the drilled holes may do this, but that isn't their original design.

Talk to any dealer.

The ones I have spoken to have all seen cracked drilled discs. John Munyard, who should be somewhere lurking on here, suffered from it only a couple of months ago.

Porsche discs are created like that from a mould - not drilled from solid discs - so are a lot stronger.

I use ATE Powerdiscs, which are grooved, available cheaply from Eurocarparts.

Just my 2p.

I use ATE Powerdiscs, which are grooved, available cheaply from Eurocarparts.

Just my 2p.

ATE powerdiscs are amazingly cheap too and as they are classed as an O/E supplier they don't attract any insurance hike..........as most if not all insurers treat brake upgrades as a performance improvement and will increase :roll: your premium if you notify them of different from standard brakes

Deleted duplicate for you Roddy ;) VR :p

I have tried ate power discs and though they were crap. but that neing said, a brake disc is just a lump of metal.

I have never had any of my zimmerman x-drilled discs crack.

Ultimately brakes are a bit like suspension - it depends on your driving style whether they suit or not.

I use Zimmerman discs on all my motors mainly because I work at GSF!

Never had any fail or had any back!

Zimmerman are OE to Mercedes Benz and are TUV approved so they should be good.

As with all mods they have pros and cons - basically - fast road pads and x drilled need to be hotter to work better - if you dont thrash the nuts off your car then you will never feel the benefit but they look pretty lurking behind your wheel!! :lol:

Brake disk material does have some bearing on the performance and feel of the brakes, but pads have a much greter effect.

That said, certain pad materials do profer particular disks.

Andy, if the ATEs were "crap" it's more likely to have been something else in the brake system that wasn't right.