Sign in to follow this  
morpheus20170

What brake discs to use, please advise?

Hi everyone :0)

I am in need of a new clutch and new brake discs but I don't know what to go for so can someone please advise me?

I am running a G60 with not much done yet, drilled discs but they are scored and needing to be changed sometime soon.

I have been told Black Diamond for the clutch and the brakes but I don't know and don't really want to spend the money if it isn't needed but I do like the sound of combi discs and an uprated clutch but I have been told that the standard VR6 VW clutch is well up for the job.

I would really like to have this done and dusted so that I can move on to bigger and better things like a FMIC :0) so if anyone could help me that would be great.

Thanks,

Paul

paul vr6 clutch will be fine for now and most things you have planned in future!

brake discs really take your pic black diamond good but theres nothing really wrong with vag one's! as for pads its a take your pick again try them see how you get on all ill say is stay clear of ebc not good initially after start up!!

BD are definately better than VAG brakes mate. For schizzle my nizzle :)

Chances are black diamond discs are just VAG discs that have been treated to turn them black then drilled/grooved. The vast majority of aftermarket brake discs are actually sourced from the OEM manufacturer, drilled and/or grooved then rebranded. The cheaper ones are normally based on pattern parts. It's only the discs used in the big-brake conversions that are actually manufactured by the aftermarket companies.

Some companies (e.g. tar-ox) put more effort in and have them heat treated for extra strength and hand finished, this is generally reflected in the price but as with most things in life you get what you pay for.

I have some Black Diamond G60 fitting brake discs and pads for sale in the 'for sale' section...check em out. ;)

Sorry to all those people that I have asked this before but I just want to make sure of myself and not go spending money on something that would be a waste of my money that will then have to be done all over again.

Thanks to all of you that have replied though

Avoid Drilled disks that have two many holes drilled in. They are weak & wear unevenly (could be why yours are scored) If you look at porsche disks they only have around 20 holes in total, good drilled disks should be around the same.

VR6 clutch kit is more than upto the job for a G60...

Bear in mind that some of the VR guys are now throwing 280+ bhp through a standard clutch and (I think I'm right in saying that) I'm currently throwing the most BHP (251.6BHP) from a G60 Corrado through a VR6 clutch with no problems, as long as you get a good VR clutch, you'll be fine... 8)

Avoid Drilled disks that have too many holes drilled in. They are weak & wear unevenly (could be why yours are scored) If you look at porsche disks they only have around 20 holes in total, good drilled disks should be around the same.

Agreed, although personally I'd say avoid standard sized drilled discs entirely, Porsche brakes are cast with holes in so unlike aftermarket applications aren't weakened by them. Unless they've been cast like that they are far more trouble than they're worth and the only reason good companies do them is people like them for aesthetics, a better pad compound and replacing the brake fluid regularly is far more effective than drilling holes.

i'm running tar-ox g88's at the moment, but the fronts really need replacing, so while we're talking discs - anyone have a recommended place to buy them from??

morpheus20170, were the previous answers to this same question not good enough?

There are hundreds of opinions out there about brakes. have a looky through the search.

ive got a special lightened clutch you can have for £500 its a motorsport special i carefully removed all of the friction material should be just the ticket for yours!!

And I've got some specially grooved disks and lightened pads if your interested?

They took a long time to get like that!!!!!!!

I've got some racing pads as well - they're really good but you have to go REALLY fast to warm them up. But when the metal on metal starts to weld, you really stop!!!

Just buy some black diamonds and stop feking around mate :)

Avoid Drilled disks that have two many holes drilled in. They are weak & wear unevenly (could be why yours are scored) If you look at porsche disks they only have around 20 holes in total, good drilled disks should be around the same.

They have a LOT more than 20 holes.

Not all drilled discs are weak, but you can't beat them for water dispersal and cooling.....hence why all decent motorbikes and race cars use them. It's all in the quality of the metals used in the foundary. Plain discs are fine for road cars where refinement is important and repeated high speed braking unlikely.

i was under the impression zimmerman drilled discs were very good. i have had no complaints with them over the past 2 years and they are cheap from GSF.

They have a LOT more than 20 holes.

Not all drilled discs are weak, but you can't beat them for water dispersal and cooling.....hence why all decent motorbikes and race cars use them. It's all in the quality of the metals used in the foundary. Plain discs are fine for road cars where refinement is important and repeated high speed braking unlikely.

When I say 20 i'm only going off memory of the last porsche I walked past, it wasn't much more that 20 (guess the hotter versions must have more holes)

When I find it I'll post a pic of the crap discs that were fitted to my C when I bought it - More holes than Swiss cheese, and had all the braking efficiency of said cheese with bread for pads. They wore unevenly and made a hell of a noise/vibration when coming to a stop.

I know what you mean about too many holes! You need to leave a bit of metal behind for braking :-) I was referring to Porsche 996 and on. 964s didn't have holes at all unless a cooking model and 993s had a varying number of holes, again, according to spec.