Sign in to follow this  
ReekieVR

Caterham Superlight R400

Just wanted to share my experience yesterday at Knockhill. I am planning to do my 1st trackday @ KH in oct ( in the Chim ) and wanted to get some experience first. I was chatting to some people on Pistonheads and was invited to be a passenger in the above car. The sun was out, so i launched up there.

Totally amazing - there were Fezzes, Porkers, Evos - this thing nailed them all ! The only thing i can relate it to is a go-cart. Its stuck to the road like glue, yet with ( what seems like ) managable and predicatble oversteer. Although i am sure the ability of the driver was also a factor !

The pops and bangs on every gearchange were mental. As for KH - well i have spectated a few times there and its looks like fun on the telly, but you have to go round it to really appreciate the John Wier chicaine. Totally blind - an act of faith. Cost me £5 to hire a helmet and there were loads of people offering a passenger seat. Recommended !

I have a few photos and will post them up. Anyone else been in one of these 400bhp per ton karts??

I am ( slightly ) less apprehensive about tracking now, but there is free beginners instruction provided at the event i plan to do.

Wilber felt decidedly slow and heavy ( and quiet :o ) on the way home ....

3.8 seconds according to the info I just looked up. A 2.0L cosworth developed engine producing 210bhp in a half ton car... rubber underwear time! Very envious Reekie, I've always wanted a drive in a super-7 style car.

The bike engined derivatives must be utterly nuts!

I was out in my mates Westfield at the weekend and that was insane. Only 320bhp/ton though IIRC (could be wrong). Much quicker than his old Chimera to 60 and 100. Not as big top end though.

Heh heh, yeah they're pretty rapid. I've been in what would be an R750 in Caterham speak... that was mind blowingly quick!

Scruffythefirst has a Cosworth engine'd Dax Rush and thing doesn't half shift either.

260bhp, 700kg (inc driver) and whinges that it's too slow... :cuckoo: :shock:

Dinky poos just got 10k posts!

Anyway, I usually go out in a Caterham every now and again, only a super 7 though. Goes well.

Oh jeebus, so I did. I've now reached official geekdom :lol:

And both the Dax and Caterham go round corners like you wouldn't believe. It's mental.

Piccys from the day just in !

KH%20004.jpg

KH%20014.jpg

KH%20016.jpg

I was in the wee green fella. The silver porker was the only thing we couldnt quite get past ... Dont know what an RTS-3 is !

had a go in holeshot racings hyabusa turboed westy earlier this year at oulton park.that thing was pushing out 650bhp.unbelievable speed round the track.totally lost control of my neck when he hit the accelerator.gearshifting was done on buttons on the steering using the same system that they use on drag bikes.at ten of the best a couple of weeks back it was doing consistent 8.8 quarters.

there is an argument going currently going on on a lotus seven forum that big powered turbo'd sevens are hardlies any faster around a track than a highly tuned NA motor as the car has limitations on how much power it can put down. basically the argument goes that you have to lift off the power in the corners as it will just break away, and the NA motor holds better corner speed as its more predictable.

Obviously the big power motors are mental in a striaght line though!!!

makes sense really i suppose, if you're fighting to keep it on the track on the corners you're not going to be as quick as someone who can keep the power down. I think the big engined versions will probably make up for that on the strights though making them quicker overall - warp 6 captain!

there is an argument going currently going on on a lotus seven forum that big powered turbo'd sevens are hardlies any faster around a track than a highly tuned NA motor as the car has limitations on how much power it can put down. basically the argument goes that you have to lift off the power in the corners as it will just break away, and the NA motor holds better corner speed as its more predictable.

I think that's probably a little bit of envy talking there, because you're not going to go any slower round the corners, only faster in the straight lines.

Having said that, there's a big difference between a bike engine and car engine as far as weight goes, so I'd imagine a tuned N/A bike engine'd Westie is a fair bit quicker than a turbo Cosworth one...

not sure dink, the 2 setups in question were a 240bhp duratec and a 350bhp busa turbo lump so the weight theory goes out the window.

I also think you are wrong about going slower round corners too. My mate does track days on his motorbike all the time, and is pretty good. He rides with the same lads, he had a cbr 600 for a long time and could extract every bit of performance out of it.

He then when and bought a race prepped R1, and all of a sudden his mates were all over him through the corners. He every time he tried to put some gas on the front wheel would lift up, so he had to back off. Obviously he got better at it, but never had the abillity on the R1 to corner like his lower powered 600.

Same with the caterhams, these 2 different engined motors were within half a second on this given track (cant remember which one but it was a big track) the turbo was quicker but only by a knatts chuff.

For comedy value, i found a vid taken on the day from inside the madest sounding car there. A Ultima with 'open pipes' ! View it here ( dialup users beware )

I also have a a flypast of it which i will try to post, cos the sound is just mental.