Sign in to follow this  
eatthis

2.9 conversion

i own a mk3 golf vr6 2.8 obd2 my piston rings are on their way out and i wanna take it to 2.9.

the options i can see are buy a recon 2.9 block where and how much£??

or get a 2.8 block (i can get 1 for decent money) rebore to 2.9 fit new rings and 2nd hand 2.9 pistons i think they best way of gettin the pistons is buy a knackered 2.9 block????

anybody got 1 or know where i can get 1??

any other suggestions welcome

Compared to what? Finding a second hand block,Boring it out,then second hand pistons? Then when the engine prematurely wears out do to worn pistons then doing it again...

If its cost,get a 2.9 motor complete and put it in?

Finding a 2.9 block without worn bores is unlikely,its probably why the block is stripped down in the first place.

i understand that but i only need the 2.9 pistons not the block do pistons wear much? i dont want to goto 3l+ and neither do i have the funds

i dont want a complete engine as my head was rebuilt 8k ago with 268 cams

wheres the cheapest place for new 2.9 pistons and i dont mean forged

Compared to what? Finding a second hand block,Boring it out,then second hand pistons? Then when the engine prematurely wears out do to worn pistons then doing it again...

If its cost,get a 2.9 motor complete and put it in?

Finding a 2.9 block without worn bores is unlikely,its probably why the block is stripped down in the first place.

I'm not sure the fella has 500 quid+ for new pistons. Hence his questions.

And in my experience its the bores that get damaged not the pistons.

But hey ho, just trying to help!

(There is a VERY small chance I may also have a 2.9 complete with 80k miles on it btw)

correct me if i am wrong please! usual procedure would be to hone the bores to aid breaking in the piston rings. If the bores are worn - then i think there are three choices - 1) oversized rings 2) boring out or 3) replace the bottom end with a fresher one. However, better to get that clarified.

im probably gonna go for that iv also been offered a 3l conversion but iv no idea on price yet

2.9 rebore is lookin most likely but i want to know how safe 2nd hand 2.9 pistons are

and how reliable is 3l??

Hi mate,

Good luck with whatever ytou decide to do, but how on earth did you manage to get 215BHP with corresponding torque from a 2.8 engine ?? That's like 41BHP over standard ! What mods have you done to achieve this and where was car RR'd ? I take it your car must have a Schrick manifold, cams and a shed-load of other mods to achive this ?

Hi mate,

Good luck with whatever tou decide to do, but how on earth did you manage to get 215BHP with corresponding torque from a 2.8 engine ?? That's like 41BHP over standard ! What mods have you done to achieve this and where was your car RR'd ? I take it your car must have a Schrick manifold, cams and a few other mods to achive this figure ? Sorry to seem so disbelieving but that's a lot of power over standard output for a 2.8VR,

Cheers

the only reliable rr results i have post mods are 178 bhp and 175 lb ft at the wheels ( the correction software was knackered on the day) i added a reasonable 20% tranny loss figure to it i have 268 cams induction kit a 6 branch exhaust manifold (sounds sweeeeeeet) and a straight empty pipe to the backbox with a custom map

i did another rr day but my front suspension was screwed it qwouldnt stay on rollers came out at 130 whp and 189 corrected

and pre cams and remap it made 153 whp with 198 bhp and 187 lb ft corrected

I have a block and pistons sat on my garage floor. There is some wear in one of the cylinders, and a little on one of the piston skirts, but the rest of them are fine. It also has a crank, but it needs regrinding.

You can have the lot for £150!