Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Mk2 8v GTi, what to look for?

Just been offered one of these for much cheapness, its an F reg, small bumper and from the pictures looks mint. Thinking about getting it for a runabout for a year so I can sell the vr and save for a bit, get a house and all that boring stuff etc...

Anyway, suspension, brakes etc I can have a look over no bother, but dont know much about mk2's or the 8v engine so any help much appreciated. :)

Hello mate,

Had a MkII 8v GTi a few years ago, and missed it ever since selling it.

Great as a daily driver, still plenty of go and if lowered-very nippy, but obviously no match for a VR in a straight line. But then again it won't drink petrol either. The 16v has a bit more at the top end, but the 8v is better through the first few gears. Loads of room both front and back, and always amazed by how much I could get in the boot.

Had no serious problems with the engine, as long as you get it serviced properly and regularly. Obviously with the age of the car then parts will wear out, but you can get most at GSF or local VAG dealer, alot easier and cheaper than parts for your C. Got to be very unlucky to find one with a knackered engine.

The Matey-Matey website have a good section on buying advice, which has a bit more detail on what to look for on the engine. Including the infamouse rattling tappets.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cool, ill check that site out. The car is completey standard at the moment and would stay that way for nearly a year, but then im thinking its cheap enough it could make a track project. Also might put my coilovers from the vr on it depending on what happens to that as well. :)

Hello mate,

Are they geniune P-Slot rims on it as well?

They are worth a few bob on there own.

I beleive so, heres all the info I have at the moment, probably gonna go see it Monday.

"Its a 1989 (F Reg) Golf Gti Mk2 8V, Rainbow trim interior, Pirelli P Slot Alloys, Full Service History, 10 month MOT, V5 Document - £600 & its yours"

Alot of MkI Gti owners are after them for that 'old skool' look.

Seen a few with them re-done to a polished mirror state and look great.

Only trouble with red is that it does tend to fade and is a bugger to colour match if you have any new bits put on it.

But worth a look as a run about for £600 mate, if its T&T.

Good luck.

looks like it's got a CL interior though, they're not the supportive seats of the GTI.

yip totally wrong interior for a GTI...........not even sports seats

I thought they looked a bit flat but have never been in an 8v so didnt know. Anyone got a pic of what should be there?

We had one in the family for a few years. It came to us with 60k miles on the clock, was immaculate and had cost my eldest son £5k.

A classic - and this feeling will strengthen with time.

Lots of them really cheap now it would seem.

IMO Well designed and extremely practical for day-to -day use, as well as being great to drive.

If engine idle speed is very variable or it has difficulty starting when hot, try replacing the blue temp sensor at front of engine - dead easy to get at, and quite a common prob that may mystify some owners.

This was the only niggle we really had with it.

my mate got his red 8v for about 450. j plate big bumper.

the red will t-cut up ok. or his does anyway. clay bar alswo works well.

usual 8v issues such as valve stem seals, plastic water flanges rocker cover gaskets. usual 8v reliability to match though.

That's not a gti gearknob either is it (small thing I know) but why would someone remove the golf ball one? Is it definately a gti and not a lower spec model?

That's not a gti gearknob either is it (small thing I know) but why would someone remove the golf ball one? Is it definately a gti and not a lower spec model?

It's got an MFA which was GTI only spec I think, either it's a good CL shell that someones put a GTI engine into, or a knackered old GTI interior has been swapped for a clean low mileage CL one, which I reckon's what's happened.

Dunno, ive not actually seen the car but im not going to bother with it now. Might just be a cheap shitty runaround im looking for but if I get a gti I want a gti interior.