Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Mk4 Head gasket for VR6

Im sure Ive heard somewhere that you can use a mk4 copper head gasket on the older 12v's ,am I right ?

If so does anyone have the part number please, that would be lovely?

it isn't copper, it's steel.

got one in the garage somwhere, I think I kept it just for the number. will have to check, remind me....

Part number - 021 103 383 N

Takes compression ratio to 10.5:1

yup, thats it! was just looking up receipt for mine....beat me to it,

iF you stack two together, you get 9.6:1, which is perfect for 'taking the edge off' with supercharged VR's ;-) Then you can up the advance a little in the midrange to get some torque back.

iF you stack two together, you get 9.6:1, which is perfect for 'taking the edge off' with supercharged VR's ;-) Then you can up the advance a little in the midrange to get some torque back.

does this affect top end?

Not really, because boost takes over at the top end. High CRs are mainly for preserving bottom end pull. But if you're not having to ram the advance back at the top end because of Compression ratio, then you get improvements there too.

After reading this thread I just ordered one from the local stealers as I've got the engine in bits at the moment. The Parts guy was really not sure about selling me a Sharan head gasket for a Corrado "On my own head be it" sort of thing! £41.87 +VAT anyway!

Nobody replied to the question about torque settings when using this gasket although I see no reason for them to change, is that the case?

Cheers,

Tony

So this evening I started up my engine after the rebuild, fired up first time and all seemed OK until I noticed the small bubbles of oil at the number 1 cylinder end of the cylinder head. :(

I know everything was clean, very clean, and I know the head was flat, and of course I also know that the head bolts were tourqued to the right number and then 180 degrees etc. I know as I did it all myself. I also know that it's coming to pieces again, guess I'll have the head skimmed this time just to be on the safe side.

Only thing I don't know for the moment is which head gasket I'm going to use, do I go for old type or shall I be brave and fit another steel one???

Number 1 has a little oil non return valve embedded in the block, did you make sure that was cleaned out and flush? You also don't need to use the normal O ring for it with the MK4 gasket either.

Oh well, better luck next time, the joys of DIY eh?

Are you sure your torque wrench is accurate? Might be worth getting it calibrated? Be careful how much you skim off the head as compression will already be higher with the thinner gasket.

If you do fit a normal gasket, use a Victor Reinz one as they're the best.

The torque wrench is a Snap On one and it's been calibrated by them less than a year ago, I wish it was that simple!

The way it looks, there are small oil bubbles as if it is a gas leak pushing it out rather than a simple oil leak. Having slept on it I believe that I'll be using the old type gasket next time for sure, not that I mind keep pulling the engine to pieces or anything. kevHaywire You suggest using the Victor Reinz gasket as they are best, better than VAG original?

Remaining possitive, at least the gearbox doesn't have to come out this time, the cam chains are already done :lol:

Reinz is what VAG sell but you should be able to get from GSF too

Thanks once again Supercharged. :D

This is worrying me a bit now! I think Im still going to go with the metal gasket though. My head has had a full rebuild and skimmed so fingers crossed!

This is worrying me a bit now! I think Im still going to go with the metal gasket though. My head has had a full rebuild and skimmed so fingers crossed!

I can't make my mind up yet which way to go with it, I'm sure enough people have fitted the metal one by now to prove it's OK, I've just screwed up somewhere! I'll see what I find when I get it to bits again. It's a shame really as I'd got all the top end rebuilt and climate control installed while I was not busy with work and now I'm tied up in Kent for the next few days then off to Germany next week. Glad I never promissed my wife when she'd be getting her Corrado back :D