Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Ferrari style exposed gate....

.....often thought of getting one of these fabricated in highly polished alloy - would need some work to get right but am sure it would be achievable - anyone done anything similar??

We had a look at this on the MG forum.

Several of us have tried to make one, the issue seems to be that Ferraris have a very long throw gear (probably the gate was made in the first place to stop the change being all wobbly), and it doesn't seem to work with modern short shift changes......I wish I'd looked into this in the days of the (real) Mini....could have made my fortune selling aftermarket shifts in place of the old 'pudding stirer'.

Maybe Dave16v (door repair Dave, that is) could prob knock one up? Would certainly look the part.

modern short shift changes

in a corrado?? changing gears in my valver was like rowing a boat! the short shift in the VR was better, but its still not really a short throw.

I would have thought getting the cutout big enough to allow movement of the stick but small enough so as not to have a gaping hole would be very tricky indeed.

changing gears in my valver was like rowing a boat!

:lol:

That made me lol

Yours faithfully

Walesy

IIRC there was someone who had a gate but with shallow slots in it, mainly at the end of the throw. There was a pic here somewhere but i cant remember whose. Maybe Zarman? There was a red boot with it too if that prompts any reminders?

Maybe Dave16v (door repair Dave, that is) could prob knock one up? Would certainly look the part.

When I made a polished Stainless surround I thought about it then. You would need to think about what the gear stick would look like above the gate with no gaiter attached. Would have to smarten it up some.

am I the only one here who thinks putting a ferrari-esque open gear gate in a C or any other car apart from a Ferrari is naff........ :?

am I the only one here who thinks putting a ferrari-esque open gear gate in a C or any other car apart from a Ferrari is naff........ :?

probably why I didn't do it.

No rodders - You're not!

I don't think it would suit it either. Maybe a nice new black leather gaiter with red stitching.. I'd be up for that but I'll leave the H gate's to the ferrari's.