Sign in to follow this  
j3nfx

Bought a Corrado

well thanks to this website i am now the proud owner of a very good looking and well looked after corrado 2.0 16v. I am pleased as punch but i just need a little bit of advice.

this morning she struggled a little to start. Not much but I am a bit concerned that as the weather gets colder this could become a bigger problem. What can I do to make this better?

Also my fuel pump is very noisy. the car has had a service and an mot with it like this and i was told it is not a problem but i just wondered what you guys thought ...

thanks in advance.

jen

pumps do buz a bit anyway, so that may be nothing to worry about. in my experience they just tend to fail and it wont start at all.

if its had a service i presume they changed the spark plugs. so may be an idea to replace the distributor cap, as that an easy cheap option and takes 2 mins. then look to change the plug leads if that changes nothing.

theres other things like idle valve etc, but id start at the most common cheap end first! it may be a trate of the valver though, but im not too hot on those experience wise im afraid. plenty on here to help if the obvious doesnt cure it though

Yeah the pump on my 2.0 16v is noisy as well, but i've been told not to worryt about it.

When it struggles to start does the starter motor snarl up and go very slow, thus indicating a duff battery?

Or does it start fine but splutter through the cylinders? If so the best place to start would be to check the HT leads, spark plugs and the 5th injector, located at the end of the fuel rail sticking into the sideish of the engine

thanks guys. sorry i am not very technical so what happens with the start is when you turn the key it starts to turn on but just takes about 10 seconds to actually do it. but it has had a new battery this year and it doesnt sound from what you said like that.

glad about the fuel pump as it has been worrying me. also occasionally i can smell petrol. the only way to describe it is we have s skyline as well which is overfuelling and smells of petrol when you turn it on and off my corrado smells like that ... is this normal?

Hi, and congrats on the purchase!

One thing to mention with regards to the lazy starting, are you letting the fuel pump prime before starting the car? WHen I got my first VW it's something that I had to get used to.

my guess would be the ignition then, they always need changing once on a Corrado.

ingition switch is 20 quid from a dealer, it's a bit fiddly to change, but thats just getting the screwdriver into the tight spaces, its not a difficult job.

There's a write up in the wiki.

Welcome to Corrado ownership :)

mines had a petrol smell about it for a while, I haven't been too concerned as its not actually leaking anywhere (no puddles).

hope this helps

How about the fuel filter? If it is clogged-up, the pressure will not reach the injectors straight away and the pump will be working overtime, making it more noisy than normal. It's a cheap part but a bit of a messy job to replace and quite often gets neglected during servicing. It lives just in front of the driver's side rear wheel.

Best wishes

RB

Surely if the car has just been serviced the fuel filter would of been changed anyway?

Welcome to corrado ownership, good to see another girl on the forum! I agree with some of the above regarding the starting problems. It is always best to put some good ignition leads on an older car anyway so this may help, they are not too expensive and piece of piddle to change.

Also if it was the ignition switch then it would start then cut out as my vr had a dodgy ignition switch and thats what mine done, it would start straight away but kept cutting out straight away. But i may be wrong as i am quite new to corrado ownership myself.

Good luck with the car and get some pics up of it asap :D

Rob.

Surely if the car has just been serviced the fuel filter would of been changed anyway?

IIRC the fuel filter is only meant to be changed every 20k miles............so unless you specify to a garage you want it changed its more than likely going to be overlooked :wink:

Welcome to Corrado ownership!

I'd be interested to know how you get on with your starting problems, as on my 2.0 16v, I've now changed, HT leads, distributor cap, rotor arm, fuel injectors, cold start valve/injector and it still doesn't start very well! Often needs a bit of throttle to get it idling. Having just read these posts though, when it goes in for it's service in a couple of weeks then I'll make sure they replace the fuel filter.

What about the carbrettor? are the butterflies moving freely? might be worth a squirt of cleaner regardless

What about the carbrettor? are the butterflies moving freely? might be worth a squirt of cleaner regardless

carb???????? on a 16v????..................I take it you mean throttle body :lol:

:-P :wink: of course i do boyo, still thinking back to my days in the ole 1L nissan micra lol. Tis the same thing anyway...

Also if it was the ignition switch then it would start then cut out as my vr had a dodgy ignition switch and thats what mine done, it would start straight away but kept cutting out straight away. But i may be wrong as i am quite new to corrado ownership myself.

Mine never cut out when it was faulty, just took a while of fiddling the key around to get it started.

finding it hard to actually get it to turn over is the usuall symptom

['H3R4POR]

Mine never cut out when it was faulty, just took a while of fiddling the key around to get it started.

finding it hard to actually get it to turn over is the usuall symptom

Ahh ok then, i also had to fiddle my keys around, i would turn the ignition and it would start but it cut out straight away but if i fiddled with my key (oo err) then it would start ok. Its sorted now anyway so i dont care :lol:

Rob.

hi guys thanks for all that.

i called my mate who is a mechanic last night and he said something about it being normal in older cars as it is the pressure in the fuel thingy ... i have no idea what he meant but he going to look at it on monday.

right i cant put pictures up as i am rubbish so could i email some to someone to post up ... i did buy it off here so there are pics in the for sale section ... x