Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Corrado VR6 ---- VERS ---- Audi S2!!!!!!!!!!!

Travelling back along the M5 this evening..... In the Fast lane!!!! Cruising along at 120ish... (ow erm I mean 70mph :wink:)

Creeping up behind me whilst what looked like "Eating up the road".... This bright lighted thing was stuck on my arse.......

Anyhow, pulled over to let this very anxious car think he was gonna sail past me before I slammed my right foot down.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cry: :wink: :!: :!: :!:

Now let me get this right!!!! He had to slow down once he got behind me!!! So we were at the same speeds...

When I pulled over to the left... I didn't back off the Gas... I was sharp and ready before I floored it..

HE LEFT ME FOR DUST............ (And Boy did it sound awesome)

Came home to do alittle research.... These car as pretty quick and are priced roughly the same as a decent VR..

Now my question is..... Putting these cars head to head.. Pros and Cons and which would you have ??????

audis2c.jpg

audis2b.jpg

audis2a.jpg

corrado1a.jpg

corrado1c.jpg

corrado1b.jpg

i like the s2's but prefer the corrado anyday.... what engine does it use! i think they are a re-vamped audi quattro really....... so that probably explains the rapidness.....

2.2 20V turbo 4x4.... I thinks..

0-60 is something stupid like 5.5secs

What an acheivement by audi I must say for that time of era...

Handling must be excellent :)

its seemingly has softer suspension than the legendary ur-quattro........practically the same 20v 5cylinder engine tho...............not to mention the fact there's a lot of heavily tweaked S2's out there too

what makes you think it was standard?!?!?!:?

there are faster cars than the corrado out there

but none as good looking.

The S2 is a great car but looks wise they've dated badly, when getting my rado I could have had a v5 audi coupe (not an s2) a lot cheaper but went for the rado because it still looks good

I don't think the Audi coupe is a bad looking car.... Still looks modern and you do get alot for your money...

If I had an Audi S2... I'd try and keep it as standard as possible, as theres not too many about... Suppose it the story of the storm really :roll:

I do love my C though :)

Bit of a tough choice. I like the Corrado because even someone who doesn't know about cars will look at it and think it looks sporty. Audi's (especially big power audi's) have typically been only for people who 'know cars' because to be honest without the little S badge on the front, you wouldn't know what sort of power was going on there under the hood. And its the same all the way along with the S/RS series of cars. To most people they are Audi's - but to enthusiasts the flared arches and nice wheels and little red badges mean something else.

Both sorts of cars appeal and to be honest i'd struggle to choose between the two. There is a lot to be said for subtle, understated performance cars like the big Audi's :)

Gav had an s2 avant estate a while ago when my vr was standard. They are fecking quick. i remember coming back form somewhere on the motorway, we were both side by side doing 140 then gav put his foot down and left me or dust :lol: At that point i decided i wanted a charger :lol:

Although similar in concept, they are two cars that deliver very differently. The Aud feels much bigger, is softer in its handling, steering precision, braking, and suffers badly from understeer, it is however very quick and safe when driving at 7/10ths.

We all know what the Corrado is like and in most of the above areas the Corrado is a degree or two sharper and more incisive - in standard form the Corrado would deliver the more entertaining drive but that does not necessarily mean its the better car. Throw money at them both to modify and improve and both can be transformed.

Audis of the S2's era are probably the best built mass produced cars ever, they are very practical and for some that will make the Audi the more appealling car.

The S2 certainly holds some appeal for me but the Corrado has more and its running costs are certainly lower than the Audi.

Mr VR Banana is the person to talk to regarding the VR/S2 debate. He had an all but standard VR corrado, and his brother had a standard S2.

They used to do track days regularly.

I am not sure if there was much in it between them to be honest.

Even with todays motors.... Lets take the Golf R32 and Audi S3

Exactly the same thing, although this time the VW is also 4x4... !!! I've driven both and would take the R32 over and over again..(Although I'm not knocking the S3!!!)

The one advantage for the S2 instead of the S3 is the 5Cyl engine... Not quite as mean as the V6 but still sounds excellent when giving it welly... I always feel this is where Audi lost it with the S3... In some regards driving the S3 felt just like a suped-up Golf Turbo....

So the main factor of the S2 would be the turbo, which alot of people are heading towards (KEV) to add to the Vr....

I wouldn't mind an S2 for a bit to see how good they really are.... I do like the interiors :)

Exactly the same thing, although this time the VW is also 4x4... !!! I've driven both and would take the R32 over and over again..(Although I'm not knocking the S3!!!)

The one advantage for the S2 instead of the S3 is the 5Cyl engine... Not quite as mean as the V6 but still sounds excellent when giving it welly... I always feel this is where Audi lost it with the S3... In some regards driving the S3 felt just like a suped-up Golf Turbo....

So the main factor of the S2 would be the turbo, which alot of people are heading towards (KEV) to add to the Vr....

I wouldn't mind an S2 for a bit to see how good they really are.... I do like the interiors :)

sorry but the 5cylinder Audi lump has a far superior note than any VR6..........any time I see an ur-quattro going about my window goes straight down and the hi-fi is switched off...........pure aural nirvana 8)

Early S2's (3B) had 220 BHP and 309 ft-LBS torque, whilst later ones (ABY) had 230 BHP and 350 ft-LBS torque as standard !

Also check the 3rd and 4th cars for sale down in this link, one a 420BHP MTM-tuned 1996 S2 coupe and other a 370BHP (basically making it an RS2-coupe, which Audi never made, has been fitted with loads of RS2 parts etc and huge AP brakes) 1993 S2 coupe, if I had spare cash would love the red one as loads of car for the cash, change the alloys and fit some 993 mirrors, there, job done !

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=511

sorry but the 5cylinder Audi lump has a far superior note than any VR6..........any time I see an ur-quattro going about my window goes straight down and the hi-fi is switched off...........pure aural nirvana 8)

I totally agree if you're talking about the 10v mate? Totally awesome haunting warbling sound, that turns savage under full load. Epic :)

Hmmm...... dunno about that. 10v definately.

granted ive heard more 10v's than 20v's but other than the more mechanical noise due to more valves etc they have near enough the same note IMO...........i take it we are both talking the same 10v(WR/MB) and 20v (RR) Audi 5cylinder lumps???

I suppose its like the 12v vr and the 24v one.

The 12v is a lot more warbly, where as the 24v has more of a smoother rasp - if you know what I mean?

i looked at a couple of S2's about 2years ago when my car buying head switched on again... missed out on them both, sulked for another 6mths or so and then got turned back to Rados again.

by the way - if this S2 you toyed with was on the M5 on Saturday, it was probably on it's way back from the Audi Day at Castle Combe (i was there too... albeit feeling sickly in my cousin's not quite track savvy A8 :gag: )

here's a couple of motor's i wouldn't have minded taking home...

I have a feeling the Audi's build quality will be better than the C too tbh...

Audi 80's/coupes of that era are way more solid trim wise than the corrado, no contest. Depending on the model mechanically they can be very similar, although gearbox-wise you have the advantage of a longitudinal engine.

I think one of the main problems is the driving position, not nearly as good as the corrado. I'm not even sure if any have a height adjustable steering column.