Sign in to follow this  
Dredgey

What oil?

Hi all,

Just a quick one before lunch!

Discovered that my oil needs topping up a little and am a little skint, so am trying to avoid the cost of a bottle of Mobil 1. I've got some 15W/40 oil in my garage but has anyone used this in a VR - what was the outcome. I'm wondering if its too thick possibly?

I know its certainly not ideal but its gotta be better than having low oil surely?

Cheers

I've got some 15W/40 oil in my garage but has anyone used this in a VR

If you take a look at the car's manual, you'll find that 15w40 is the recommended oil in the first place. It's the Mobil 1 that's the gamble mate ..

That said you really shouldn't mix synthetic and mineral oils ..

I've got some 15W/40 oil in my garage but has anyone used this in a VR

If you take a look at the car's manual, you'll find that 15w40 is the recommended oil in the first place.

I would except my stupid labrador decided to eat it! Git!

Youre about to get bitch slapped by a mod!! :lol:

use the search mate, theres LOADS of oil topics!! ;)

sorry dudes, tried the search option and it brought up about eleventy million pages-worth. Kinda needle in a haystack!

Roger and Dr Mat - I'm getting the feeling that the Mobil 1 that I've previously been using isn't a good idea? Is it too thin or something?

I welcome your comments!

Thanks toad, although some of this I was already aware of - I guess I just need to know what everybody uses and what they rate for their VR engines.

Thing is, and I know I'm possibly being a bit naive here, but the good old Halfords down the road has a little oil recommendation book attached to the shelf saying a 'manufacturer recommendation' of 15/40, but also has an 'ultimate protection' category which lists fully synthetic oils such as Mobil 1?

Youre about to get bitch slapped by a mod!! :lol:

use the search mate, theres LOADS of oil topics!! ;)

sorry dudes, tried the search option and it brought up about eleventy million pages-worth. Kinda needle in a haystack!

Eleventy Million, :lol: Tubbs, get the crossbow, they won't get far!! :lol:

Try using the word AND in your search, (its got to be in capitals, i'm not being an arse)

oil AND VR6 AND waterproofed AND otters, for example if you wanted to find a thread that contained the words, oil, VR6, waterproofed and otters. threads -only- containing oil, VR6 and waterproofed wouldn't show.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, the search isn't the most intuitive thing at times.

Godda learn how to suck eggs some day! cheers Toad, I actually didn't know that cunning little bit of advice! Will be helpful for future searches! :thumbleft:

Good oils for the VR are:-

Mobil 1 15/50 motorsport

Castrol RS 10/60

Silkolene Pro S 10/50

VW's own 10/40 stuff

Castrol GTX 15/40

Castorl Magnetec 10/40

The Mobil everyone rightly steers you away from is 0-40 or 0-30, or any 0 grade in fact, including VW's 'longlife' mega expensive tossy stuff designed to be consumed excessively so that they can punt more of it onto consumers at £16 a litre....the underhand f'ckers!

The rate at which these oils are consumed varies from engine to engine and is where people draw their conclusions from as to which is 'best'. In terms of lubricating properties, it's principal job and ignoring consumption - they're all pretty much the same. For slow consumption, Castrol RS 10/60 is the daddy.

Bit on an naive question prehaps. When carrying a change involving switching oils for a semi to a fully synthetic oil, is it advisable to drop the sump and give it a clean. Or is it just sufficient to change the filter?

Heard Mr Haywire singing the Sikolene tune leading to reduced usage. Service time is about here, and as the old girls not getting any younger i thought i treat it to some good stuff.

Don't need to worry about that mate. Just throw it in and by the time you change the synthetic oil a second time, all the old semi will be flushed out. It won't harm the engine.

Yep, Silky cut consumption drastically on mine but as said previously, the best oil for low consumption is that uber Castrol RS 10/60 stuff!