Sign in to follow this  
rysa20

More Boost???

65mm Pulley on a G60

im currently running a 68mm pulley and was looking for more power so i thougt of upgrading the pulley to a 65mm . If i do this what psi would the g-lader produce then????

power increase??

cheers Ryan

the engine has 110k on it would it be safe to run more boost??

Ive just gone to a 65mm and its brilliant. Dont try and aim for high psi numbers as this just shows that your engine is wasting boost.

Ive hit 18psi on a boost gauge with it though.

You wont really be able to rev the engine over 6k though

it is noticeable. i would think about 15 to 20 bhp. try it. just check the fueling. not normally a prob. most g60's run rich anyway.

Surely you'd need to get a custom map for it to work properly.

Your engine might take it but from what I've heard you'll be having the charger rebuilt often

sound chaps

its currently running these mods any idea on power at the wheels??

its got sns stage 5 chip

s4 g-werks charger

68mm pulley

red top injectors

full miltek exhaust

de-cat pipe

rs outlet

k&n panel filter, drilled airbox

wheel power varies from car to car. engine power.prob 200 210.

put the 65 on. 215 220

std cam?

if so get a piper 270h. not the 285. keeps the power low down.

its excellent.

Have you seen the gains that g-werks heads give ????

As fitted to the Golf and Corrado. The supercharged G60 engine fits the role of supplying lots of low down power from a small engine. Benefiting from a supercharger means lots of low down punch and no turbo lag. However, if you want to release the full potential of your VW G60 engine you must address the restrictions of the standard head. Any effiiciencies found in the head will be multiplied by the supercharger.

We have measured our G60 head as if it were a normally aspirated engine. This is because supercharger boost cannot be easily simulated and has many variables such as barometric pressure, ambient temprature, intercooler effiiciency and level of boost used. We are working on a model for turbocharging and supercharging engines but for the moment we only have figures the head as if it were normally aspirated. This at least gives a fair benchmark of the improvements made.

Our G60 head shows a very healthy inlet increase of 30.9 % peak flow rate at max valve lift is seen here along with a substantially improved flow rate across the valve lift range. Exhaust improvement is 26.9% improvement at the max valve opening. These are substantial gains and will benefit the delivery of the power low down as well as peak power overall. This head will produce 156BHp without a supercharger at 6500rpm. Our estimate is 190BHP at standard 6psi boost. More is possible with higher boost although you may also wish to consider our big valve version of this head

may be worth a look

got any pics of your G then mate??

Only thing is, a 65mm pulley reduces your re-build intervals!

65mm = Suicide Pulley :lol:

What would be the recommended charger service interval on this 65mm pulley??

Does that 3mm really make such a big difference? The standard pulley being 78mm, so going down to 68mm usually only gives about 25 bhp over standard (as a standalone mod) So another 3mm surely only gives a max of 5 -10 bhp surely? However, i guess through the revs you will notice the difference.

Also i guess stopping the boost leak that the ISV is designed to produce would also benefit.

ERM.. yes the difference betwine a 68 to a 65 pulley is hugh,

it IS worth doing., #

lets face it.

your g60 engine is GOING to get serviced before it gets to it

@recommended@ service anyway. so just chuck on a 65mm pully and enjoy.

i've used one for 3 years and any havent had any supercharger probs yet!!

my charger has done about 10k since the last overhaul at g-werks are you all saying that with the 65mm pulley id only get another 10k till it needed another overhaul

Going from std. 78mm to 68mm is a 15% charger rpm increase, 78mm To 65mm is 20% rpm increase, not a massive difference but 20% must just surpass what the seals can cope with reliably.

Judging by the mods you've got you might want to consider a ported downpipe and ported exhaust manifold or a stainless manifold. That'll give you a load of low down torque. andy554 had this done and made a slug more grunt. Also I'd imagine you'd benefit from an oil cooler. At the moment, I'm surprised you need red top injectors. I had a similar spec to you with a Newman 268/272 cam and when setting it up the wideband showed that the greens were holding up fine.