tonedef

Climate Control Wiring

Thanks to Carl, bigpants baby, I now have a pile of climate control parts including a large chunk of wiring loom from a Passat VR6 to fit into the Corrado. The mechanical part looks pretty straight forward, maybe major but straight forward, especially as the engine is out of the car right now. The electrics however look like more of a challenge.

Of the people who have already fitted CC, has anyone found a manual with any wiring diagrams that are of use? Haynes don't do one for the Passat VR6 but does anything else give a general picture of it, I'm not bothered about wiring colours etc, just what goes to where?

Cheers,

Tony

I have the full climatronic wiring diagrams you can have.

PM me your email and I will sort them out for you.

Thanks CoxyLaad, PM sent.

Started this morning at 1000 with mint looking interior, 1245 taking a break for MotoGP, dash out and old heater box on floor. The new one sure looks big!!!

Might post pics of destroyed interior later :cry:

Monday 1200 and the hole's cut for the coolant pipes, various bits of ducting have been modded and the box is in the car bolted in place, no problem. It's no walk in the park and I wouldn't suggest everyone to just rip out the dash and throw in CC but so far so good.

Now for the electrics :shock:

Of the people who have already fitted CC to their Corrados, did anyone find problems with the blue coolant temperature sensor G62? I have two pairs of wires to connect to it, one from the Climatronic controller and one from the ECU and right now I'd prefer it was connected to the ECU!

Alternatively does anyone know if VAG do a two output temp sensor for any other car? I've already had to swap the two pin black coolant fan third speed switch for a brown four pin one with an extra contact for the A/C cutout.

My Mums MK3 1.8 CL has a 4 pin temp sender...

Thanks Supercharged, that might just be the answer. My other idea was to establish what the resistance of the sensor was at normal running temp and then stick a fixed resistor in the climatronic input.

By the way, what year is her Mk3 and what colour is the sensor? From that I should be able to figure out which one I need to buy from VAG. I can imagine the conversation at the parts desk already, parts man: "So you've bought Corrado parts, Passat parts and Sharan parts for this job and now you're asking for Golf parts?" me: "Just sell me the bits, it's hard to explain!"

Cheers,

Tony

hold the bus. Correct me if I am wrong but the Climatronic does not take a signal from the engine coolant sender.

it goes to the outside air temp sender, and it has one internally.

Very interested to see how you get on tonedef - I'm hoping to do this at some point too, but I really need a good week or two to do it when I don't need the car! :lol:

hold the bus. Correct me if I am wrong but the Climatronic does not take a signal from the engine coolant sender.

it goes to the outside air temp sender, and it has one internally.

Unfortunately it seems to depend on what year build you get. The kit I have came from a 96 Passat although when you refer to the wiring diagrams it's obviously a 95 build and has an input for the G62 sensor at Climatronic pin T28a/5 whereas a 96 build would have the G62 input at ECU pin T68/14.

Now as VW never intended to fit Climatronic to my Corrado they generously provided the input direct to the ECU. The bit that really confuses me is that there appears to be no repeat of the signal from the Climatronic to the ECU on a 95 Passat so how did it know the coolant temp???

Very interested to see how you get on tonedef - I'm hoping to do this at some point too, but I really need a good week or two to do it when I don't need the car! :lol:

dinkus You'll sure need that week or two, not only for doing the job but also as you need time away from it as it drives you up the wall! I'm lucky to be doing the engine rebuild at the same time so at least if I need time off the climatronic I can do something useful.

I had a few problems early on, downloading some wiring diags from the Russian web site was a start and then CoxyLaad sent me some Golf drawings which were better. The best thing however was getting all the Passat wiring diags on loan out the back door of my local dealer, but as my seperate reply to CoxyLaad says, it doesn't help when you've got a wire you cannot plug into a sender as there's already something there!

This would all be OK but I only started by refurbing the rims, I got carried away :twisted:

Yeah, I've heard it's a complete pig of a job to do, but I'm going down the route of...

The directional controls for the blowers are screwed

I'd like AC

The heater matrix will need replacing sooner or later

I need to take the door cards off to play with the ICE

I want to Dynamat the rear quarter panels

I'd like a full respray

The alarm needs re-fitting

The engine bay is a mess

Sooo why not rip the entire interior out, clear out as much as I can of the engine bay, get a full respray, tidy up the engine bay loom, finish the ICE and fit Climatronic all in one go :lol:

The main problem is lack of me being able to do the wiring/engine bay stuff and/or the time to do things and/or the tools to do it and/or the place to do it and/or the money to buy the stuff.

Otherwise it's a great plan :lol:

I'm hoping that once I've moved house and things have settled down, I can bike to work which means I'll be free to dismantle the car and can work on it. Still doesn't help with the place or skills to do it tho :D

Car is a mk3 1997 1.8 AAM engine

Thanks for that, I'll see what they have on ETKA the next time I'm at the dealer for that code :D

The main problem is lack of me being able to do the wiring/engine bay stuff and/or the time to do things and/or the tools to do it and/or the place to do it and/or the money to buy the stuff.

I can see a few of those being snags :lol: Don't be put off though, you know it'll be worth it. Every time I get really down with it I just take the S3 for a spin with climate control on and then remember the days of getting into the C with wet clothes and peering through the small patch of screen that the heater managed to clear. Makes it all OK again!

Quick update to this thread, I fired the car up tonight and the CC seems to be working pretty well. One of the actuators seems to be stuck as I can hear it trying to operate on most settings and I've not had the system gassed up yet so it'll not do cold but we seem to be getting there.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite move forward from here as the head gasket isn't right so the engine's coming to bits again, but that's another story!

So this afternoon I finally got my CC finished. It still needs gassing up but seeing as how I've got no tyres on my wheels and the bumpers are in the paint shop, the car's going nowhere so it will have to wait.

I still have one fault code showing on vag com as I've nowhere to connect my second coolant temp sensor wires to yet but I can sit in the car and direct lots of heating to wherever it's needed. (Unlike the standard set up!)

After I took the pics I got the shorter glove box fitted, it's just deep enough to still fit the multi changer in which is good, and was half way through modding the lower shelf when it got too cold/dark in the garage so I gave up until tomorrow.

If anyone is looking for a fan/heater assy complete with controls from a late model VR, let me know or make me an offer. It's got the original 95 heater matrix fitted as far as I know (I've owned the car 6 years) but it was fine when I took it out.

Good job!

You fancy doing mine..? :wink: :lol:

Was it generally a straight forward install, or a right pain in the ass?

Did you have to fabricate anything to make stuff fit?

Good job!

You fancy doing mine..? :wink: :lol:

Was it generally a straight forward install, or a right pain in the ass?

Did you have to fabricate anything to make stuff fit?

Yes I thought so too :D :D :D

No.

No, yes.

Yes!

It has taken me three weeks from start to finish although maybe only four days of that have been spent only on climate control. I'm sure it could be done a lot quicker, it depends on which donor car your kit comes from. I didn't look into this before I took the plunge, I just saw the stuff advertised and bought it almost before I'd decided CC might be a nice idea. :lol:

The wiring was the biggest nightmare, there are so many derivatives that getting the right drawings is difficult, and they were crucial as I would never have done it without. Plus the condensor I have from the Passat VR6 is huge, I've had to move the rad back about 2" at the driver's side and cut lumps out of the front panel to get everything in. I'll now have to fit an uprated front mount to stop the engine rocking into the fans!

Of course it will all be forgotten in the summer when I'm sat in traffic with the windows up. 8) If my wife ever lets me drive it that is, it's her car if everyone has their own around here!

What would you suggest is the best way of installing the climatronic panel to an existing aircon system? My plan is to replace the dials with the climatronic but I dont know how many sensors etc will be needed to be added to the currentl system. Cheers

What would you suggest is the best way of installing the climatronic panel to an existing aircon system? My plan is to replace the dials with the climatronic but I dont know how many sensors etc will be needed to be added to the currentl system. Cheers

I'm not sure if upgrading a standard a/c setup to climate control is the right way to go about it or not, some of the under bonnet stuff would be OK but as for the heat exchanger and control system that's a different thing all together.

Mine is taken from a 96 Passat although a lot of the dates on parts were 94, obviously VAG have fitted many different CC systems over the years. Mine has a vacuum reservoir tucked under the front left arch liner which is then piped through the bulkhead with the heater pipes, the vacuum is used to control all the various heater valves using a manifold controlled by the climatronic panel, not all seem to use this system.

Fitting the controller was pretty easy, the front panel needed trimming a bit but apart from that it was a direct replacement for the original, there's a picture elsewhere on this thread of the finished article. It's not quite flush on the front face and the black is a slightly different shade but it's close.

There were only two seperate sensors I had to fit, the first is the sunlight sensor which I have cut through the small grill in the top centre of the dash (the one looks like it should be a speaker grill). The second is the interior temp sensor which is a small fan that sucks air from inside the car over a probe. A lot of the climatronic controllers seem to have this sensor built into them, however it's a seperate item on mine and has ended up coming through the dash down the left hand side, it's squeezed between CC controller and head unit on the back.

There was a fair bit of wiring too, a lot of which connects to the cooling fan controller under the bonnet, I was lucky to have the later version fitted in my car for some reason if you have the earlier one it has to be swapped out as things like the a/c compressor clutch are controlled from there. My cooling fan now starts on speed 1 as soon as I switch on CC although I'm still waiting for the last bit so that I can connect the second water temp sensor, that may solve the problem.

Maybe the best way forward is the advertise the existing set up you have, they must be getting pretty rare by now and a purist might not want a climatronic panel in the car but would prefer an original a/c system. Then buy a complete install from somebody breaking a Passat, you get all the bits in one package that way???