Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

Suspension Nightmare - ALL SORTED

I decided to change the suspension on my Corrado as the car has done quite a few miles now and some new legs would help with keeping my car in tip top condition…considered coilovers, just can’t afford new ones at the mo.

My cousin lowered his VR6 recently and the old springs on his car were relatively new so I thought, if we could do the job ourselves then I could have newer suspension on my car for no extra cost just the labour involved…

Anyway, I decided to go through with it but as usual the job proved a lot more difficult then expected. The bolts that hold the hub to the suspension leg were extremely difficult to undo…half a can of WD40, lots of persistence and 2 hours later, success atlast but believe me, it wasn’t easy.

New leg was quite straight forward to put in but after we’d finished we were no longer enthusiastic about continuing with the job…

Took the car out for a drive and didn’t really find any significant differences. What I did find was that the car was pulling to the left when braking and the camber of the front driver wheel (new leg side) looked to be out when compared to the passenger side wheel.

Seriously need to learn to leave things alone or seek professional advice before starting jobs that I know nothing about.

Questions:

Does anyone have a part number for the bolts that hold the hub to the suspension leg? Sure these bolts could do with changing.

Is it important to change the passenger side leg now that the driver side has been done?

Does the tracking and camber alignment need doing again?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

You'll definately have to get the geometry done again mate. You can get it fairly close just by eye/rolling the car forward on a very flat and level surface though.

You need to get both sides of the car the same, so yes you do need to do the passenger side. If the new gear is uprated in any way its not really a very good idea to run different stuff front and rear. If it doesn't feel any different then I'd just change the drivers one back and get it realligned.

double-6s - thanks

andy - the suspension is not uprated , genuine VW standard suspension leg, no different to the one I took off.....

andy - the suspension is not uprated , genuine VW standard suspension leg, no different to the one I took off.....

Except in age.

I'd be doing the other side too mate. A breaker bar really helps, I got a metre long bar, so I had no probs undoing the bolts. 8)

Guess the passenger leg needs to come off too then, not looking forward to it at all.

Xbones - did you track and camber align the car after you changed the suspension ?

Still want to change the bolts, part number anyone ?

Yep, I had mine aligned, and didn't go very fast in the meantime!

Sorry, not at home, so don't have part numbers

Plan of action is to change passenger side leg and then take the car to a decent alignment place....any recommendation on bits that should be changed pre - alignment?

Hope VW have the bolts in stock, if not, anywhere else I can get them from?

I did tie rod ends and ball joints. Also, consider the wishbone bushes and ARB bushes. If you need to change any of these you'll have to get alignment re-done. Bearings are another one I wish I'd done before I had my alignment done.

Thanks for the help guys - Fitted the passenger side suspension leg and tried to get the camber as accurate as possible....not accurate enough!!

I decided to take the car in for a full geometry test....checked camber, caster and toe. Cost me £58 inc VAT for the adjustments....and wow, its the best 60 quid I've spent on my car.....now I truly understand why the Corrado was rated as one of the best front wheel drive handling cars in the world.

I read a post on here the other day about a Peugeot 205 GTi v Corrado round the twists....I've driven a 205 GTi and must admit, it's an impressive car, no turbo so no lag and it does handle well...lots of forum members agreed that the Peugeot 205 would beat the Rado round the bends and at the time of reading the post, I kindof agreed with them too BUT now my car has been aligned, bring on the Peugeot, no way it's out doing my Corrado!!!

The Corrado lowered would handle even better but then again all the geometry settings would have to be adjusted accordingly or could you keep the same camber, caster settings as recommended by VW?

I’m very happy, those of you who’ve messed with suspension, bushes etc etc, treat your car to a full geometry setup, you will be impressed.

A 205 GiT* vs. a Corrado thorugh the twisties?

The C is a heavy beast in comparison to the 205, but on healthy suspension I think the C would edge it.

Provided that the 205 driver didn't bottle out mid corner - in which case the C would be useful for dragging the 205 out if the hedge...

*owned both

No intention to spark that off again double 6's....just glad i've got my car driving well....besides, mods wouldn't be too happy with off topic chat.

Not to start an arguement but Pug 205 GTis are quick, was having a wee ehem "race" with one up the dual carriageway the other day, I was always infront over about 2 mile till we hit a roundabout, trashed him round that.....but he was all over me most of the way...

Big time shock for me, so much so I had a chat out the window with him at the lights about his car, much to the disapproval of the guy behind us... :)