CrazyDave

Crazy Daves Bog Standard 16v :)

You should 1/4 mile yours.

If you got the line reasonable well you'd put down a good time me thinks.

never interested you?

Don't think that's ever bothered Kev, he just wants to drive it and piss off porsches :lol:

It would do a pretty good time though I reckon, it's pretty darn quick!!

I never find Porshe drivers very playful.

BWM/audi drivers usually have a point to prove tho. :lol:

Hey chaps!

I'm not convinced myself, the timing said 13.1 but I really struggled to get away from the line without a diff. I could believe a low 14 or even just under, but low 13's just seems way off. Some of the times on the 1/4mile displays gave really strange numbers with some really quick cars running 4wd etc.

It is running ~0.8bar now and I never thought I'd ever say 290hp felt slow but it does when I go back to 0.5bar. The way the boost comes on is much nicer with the electronic boost controller. It feels really quick once it's moving 8)

It's a great way to realise just how heavy a Corrado is :lol:

Chatting with a guy next to me in the queue about his mk1 Golf. Stripped out, just a drivers seat, weighs 750kg and has a 215hp 2l 16v ABF on throttle bodies. My Corrado weighs 1/2 a tonne more at 1260kg!!! Didn't need the sprint, I could tell you who was going to get off the line quicker :lol:

Great fun though even if my car looked very slow compared to these .......

I need 4wd

Dave, are you going on track at Combe Autometrix day? Tempted to book up for the PM sessions.. :norty:

No doubt it's quick @ 0.8 bar but when my friend Alex's stripped mk2 16vT (Stealth built) did a 12.97 with approx 360bhp on the Sunday, you've got to doubt the 13.1... :shrug:

Hi Gary, yep going to have a bit of a thrash with the other C's hopefully and make a big effort to stay on the black stuff :pale: :lol:

Yeh like I said, I have my doubts. Looks like a trip to Santa Pod is in order. Maybe they'll have timing gear that works.....

Whilst out 'poolting' today with Mr Sands, spotted this road name :lol: seemed appropriate!

Otter.jpg[/attachment:2brpgql5]

Bet the locals thought we'd lost it!

LOL! I'd forgotten all about the 'naming' that had gone on here!

It's a new box of tricks to replace the standard troubled Corrado / Golf fan controller. It's reached the stage of working prototype and is currently on test at DG on the bench.

Some of the planned features:

2 x variable fan speed outputs. The idea being to control the main car fans and / or a charge cooler rad fan (like on my car).

4 x motor / driver outputs. The obvious one being the aux water pump, but also anything else that people can think of.

5 x temperature / pressure inputs. Water, Oil, Throttle position etc

4 x General inputs. For fan switches, engine speed etc.

Optional remote display. A nice display that goes in car so you can monitor what's going on and set alarm levels for any of the inputs. Say inlet air get's too warm etc bring on a red light and highlight the problem on the display.

The main function is to control the engine temperature much better. A new sensor placed in the water hose will monitor temperature and bring the cooling fans on very slowly as it get's to temperature, then ramp them up to speed when the engine gets to temperature. Should be able to hold the engine temperature within ±3 degrees. Much better than the ±25-30 we normally get!

More info soon..... the main thing is that I'm working on it until it's finished this time :lol:

Whilst out 'poolting' today with Mr Sands, spotted this road name :lol: seemed appropriate!

Otter.jpg[/attachment:j7dmf2ff]

Bet the locals thought we'd lost it!

There is absolutely no doubting that Dave, but I think the neighbourhood is beginning to get used to mine and Sally's odd ways anyhow...

Thanks again for all you've done lately Dave; the work on the suspension that you and Graham did has presented me with a drive like a good VR should have, I can't describe how transformed the ride is and how precise the handling, so hats off to DG Autotech, something I think I'm going to be saying quite often! :notworthy:

Then thanks for today for coming out and having a listen to the poorly other motor and giving me a ride in the ottermobile. Always a pleasure and I was so chuffed that we found Otter Lane...

Crazy controller sounds very good, still interested. :)

And me!

What's the Otter thing about? :shrug: :lol:

One of the many fetishes that Tom has.... :camp:

Crazy controller does sound very interesting, I must say, Dave :study:

LOL! I'd forgotten all about the 'naming' that had gone on here!

It's a new box of tricks to replace the standard troubled Corrado / Golf fan controller. It's reached the stage of working prototype and is currently on test at DG on the bench.

Some of the planned features:

2 x variable fan speed outputs. The idea being to control the main car fans and / or a charge cooler rad fan (like on my car).

4 x motor / driver outputs. The obvious one being the aux water pump, but also anything else that people can think of.

5 x temperature / pressure inputs. Water, Oil, Throttle position etc

4 x General inputs. For fan switches, engine speed etc.

Optional remote display. A nice display that goes in car so you can monitor what's going on and set alarm levels for any of the inputs. Say inlet air get's too warm etc bring on a red light and highlight the problem on the display.

The main function is to control the engine temperature much better. A new sensor placed in the water hose will monitor temperature and bring the cooling fans on very slowly as it get's to temperature, then ramp them up to speed when the engine gets to temperature. Should be able to hold the engine temperature within ±3 degrees. Much better than the ±25-30 we normally get!

More info soon..... the main thing is that I'm working on it until it's finished this time :lol:

What about soft starting for the fans?

The spal's can draw a fair bit of current on startup,although I think I need to maybe downgrade from 2x 11" to an 11" and 9".

Anyway,as you're aleady aware i am very much in the market for one of these.

;0)

keep us informed. :salute:

Not sure quite when the otter thing started, but it was during Toms otter phase. Apparently my car 'Goes like an otter on heat!". All references to otter should now make sense (well some......in a Tom kind of way :lol: ).

Yes the fans will be soft started and fully variable speed. Not just 3 speeds but 255 speeds if you really needed to know that 8)

The prototype has been running on the bench over the weekend and is still running fine. Will keep you all posted with progress.

Not sure quite when the otter thing started, but it was during Toms otter phase. Apparently my car 'Goes like an otter on heat!". All references to otter should now make sense (well some......in a Tom kind of way :lol: ).

Indeeeeed. It's in the same vein (fnnnaaaar) as "As wet as an otters pocket"

Sounds interesting having the soft start. Been quite surprised at how the fans pull the idle down when they kick in, especially given that they have such small wiring to them.

Sounds great Dave!

As discussed, I just need a signal to the pump during ignition and to also stay on for 5 mins on shut down :D

It's nice to have the ability to drive chargecooler fans aswell though, not that i have any!

Yes the fans will be soft started and fully variable speed. Not just 3 speeds but 255 speeds if you really needed to know that 8)

The prototype has been running on the bench over the weekend and is still running fine. Will keep you all posted with progress.

:clap: :salute:

Sounds great Dave!

As discussed, I just need a signal to the pump during ignition and to also stay on for 5 mins on shut down :D

It's nice to have the ability to drive chargecooler fans aswell though, not that i have any!

How do you go on in traffic then Kev? :?

Manual switch?

Did a load more work on the controller today. It now supports the following...

5 x K type thermocouple inputs. Comes with 1 fitted for water temperature, additional channels for pre-post inter / charge cooler, oil, EGT etc.

64k onboard logging memory to record the above channels. Log alarm conditions etc

Graphics vacuum florescent display for mounting in car, alarm warning light that can be applied to any of the above channels.

4 x digital input channels. Oil pressure switch, ignition, etc

3 x digital output channels. Current drive up to 9A. Aux water pump etc

2 x PWM outputs. Current drive upto 18A. Main rad fans, charge cooler, oil cooler fan etc

1 x Speed input. From crank sensor, road speed etc

1 x Throttle position input.

5 x pressure signals. Oil, boost etc. These have to be split up with the temperatures

You won't have to have all these things (to keep the cost down for a basic controller), but I thought I make the box as flexible as I could given the space available :)

So, if I was being slightly over the top I could have it switching on water temp, say 95 degrees, oil temp, say 120 degrees, and air inlet temp, say 60 degrees. With the thinking that the coolant needs cooling, if the oil got really hot it could do with more air moving around the block to help dissipate heat, and if it sits for too long the inlet manifold starts getting hotter and air moving around the bay could help keep it cooler?

Or would this be well over the top?

Edit, and, could the display show oil pressure or an alarm for low/high oil pressure?