Sign in to follow this  
Bups

280mm Vr Brakes to 312mm S3 Brakes??

At the the moment i have a L reg Corrado VR6 with 280mm brakes and im looking to upgrade them, ive seen some S3 312mm Brakes forsale and was wondering if these are compatable, will the hub (upright) bolt on directly with the calliper/carrier,disk, and pads??

Thanks steve @, did some searches but still wasnt sure so i gave Darren a call at G Werks who was a Great Help, So Thanks Darren!! Also got some advice from Mike Edwards and it seems pretty straight forward.. So Thanks to Mike Edwards also!! Will give it a go when i get my S3 setup..:)

anyone else find the standard VR brakes a bit naff? or is something wrong with mine, they seem to require a lot of foot pressure

Might be worth renewing the brake fluid. It supposed to be changed every 2 years on the service interval. But I try and change mine once a year. I am runing the standard set up at the moment and to be honest its fine for day to day driving. but I still plan to go 288mm next year.

I have to press my pedal pretty hard too in the VR, but then again i havent really had a chance to drive the car properly..Ive got a 288mm 5-stud setup on my mk2 and i think they are abit dangerous without ABS!! :lol:

when you change the 280's to either 288's or 312's. make sure you bleed the master cylinder also, unplug an abs sensor and ram the brakes on a few times, then bleed the master cylinder. makes the pedal alot firmer. make sure you attach the abs sensor after though. :wink:

my rado has 312 tt brakes . i had to shave a little off the back of the brecket to center the pads but it all works fine now . i got them re drilled 4 stud too

Thanks for that 'dinkus', iv got the S3 setup now, just waiting for GWerks to get back to me with prices of the brakets/banjo bolts, once i order them il start the conversion!! :)

Do the stainless lines also when you change the brakes...they'll make more of a difference than the rotors.

Sorry i dont understand what you are saying, do you mean change to braided hoses??

Bups thats what RS VR6 means, remember to change all the hoses, front and rear, otherwise it apparently puts more strain on the rubber hoses that are left.

BTW The guys at stealth did my conversion yesterday, the difference is night and day. I push the pedal now and get almost an instant response, when I first test drove it I did the normal hard push for light braking and nearly did an emergency stop!!!!!!

Bups thats what RS VR6 means, remember to change all the hoses, front and rear, otherwise it apparently puts more strain on the rubber hoses that are left.

BTW The guys at stealth did my conversion yesterday, the difference is night and day. I push the pedal now and get almost an instant response, when I first test drove it I did the normal hard push for light braking and nearly did an emergency stop!!!!!!

Ok will do when i get paid again! :lol:

Mmm, i think this is my next mod... Agree with most peeps on here, the standard brakes on a VR are poo! My pedal has far too much travel for my liking, something i spotted from day 1 of owning. Not only that, but after 2 laps of Combe, they begin to fade badly!

Had brake fluid changed several times, also had new abs module (not that it would make any difference to pedal travel).

If putting S3/TT front brakes on can help, then it has to be worth it...

Initial bite is still cr@p with the 312s though, but they bite a lot harder when they do bite though.

Even my Missus's Rover 25 with solid 256mm discs has far better initial bite than any Corrado I've been in.

Reasons - 1) The VR6 pedal fulcrum is in a cr@p place, not enough leverage. 2) The master cylinder is not big enough. Try a TT or MK4 with the 312s and they are night/day different to a Corrado wearing them. 3) The rear calipers are rubbish.

A revised pedal, 24mm TT Master Cylinder and better rear calipers would totally transform the VR's brakes.....even the 280s!

Is there any difference between the early and late TT? If so ,which year TT would i need the disks from?? (S3 disks didnt fit)

Ive now done the conversion but need longer bolts, where can i get these from? Will VAG do it atall??

I happen to think the standard VR brakes are ok, but my last car was a MK1 :lol:

I got my 312mm calipers a couple of weeks ago from a breakers (steal), need a good clean and a fresh coat of paint though.

DSC00531.jpg

Plus I need to get some 16" wheels now, shame as I like the standard look with the solitudes on, rides nice too.

Bups,

No.

Just get some Allen head bolts the right length - they're all high tensile steel, leaving yo with a choice on what type of coating you want (black, galvanised, chromed, etc)

Bups,

No.

Just get some Allen head bolts the right length - they're all high tensile steel, leaving yo with a choice on what type of coating you want (black, galvanised, chromed, etc)

Cheers Mike but who will sell them?