Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

The Syncro has landed - UPDATE

Picked up the Passat Syncro yesterday - third car I've bought sight unseen and this time I really thought I'd come unstuck. Absolutely filthy inside and out. Covered in baked on tree sap (counted at least 80 patches). I honestly don't think the car had been washed or hoovered in the 2 years the guy had owned it for. Fortunately I could see a basically sound car underneath, fully stamped service book and a £850 bill from 2 weeks ago were all positive signs.

After much hard work today, I'm glad I still bought it. Much quicker than I thought it would be, the quattro drivetrain gives unbelievable traction and the 30V V6 is smooth and free revving.

Just need to get it lowered and on 18" rims now.

Before and after pics from todays efforts, just a clean, the paint cleansing, polish and wax will have to be done next weekend. Thank god for Autoglym Machine Cleaner.

The alloys are totally screwed, really bad lacquer peel but they have virtually new tyres so will probably stay on them for the worst of the winter.

Bonnet needs a bit of paint due to stone chips but hoping a Smart Repair outfit will be able to sort it out - whole car has one tiny dent on it.

Its a hell of a car for £2,200

It is a bit soft and wallowy but that will get sorted out with a new suspension set-up. Performance is very strong, road tests state 0-60 in just over 7 seconds and it tops out at 148mph. The four wheel drive system is the quattro system straight out of the Audi A6 rather than the Haldex Volkswagen system and its the Audi V6.

I saw it on E-Bay and it was attracting a fair number of bids. I liked the look of it and manuals are rarer than the autos so made him an offer to buy outside of E-Bay. If I'd had the inclination I reckon I could have chipped him at least £100 when I arrived yesterday because of the state it was in but I knew I'd got myself a damn good deal and that with lots of elbow grease the car would come good.

Great clean up job! Would like one of these myself 8)

Am looking forward to seeing it's progress...

EDIT: What did you use tp get the bay so clean?

Just incredible how much car you can pick up for around £2,000... what sort of maintenance costs are associated with it considering its running an Audi drive train and engine?

I used Autoglym Machine cleaner, less than one spray bottle (£5) to do the engine bay, all door shuts, all wheelarches etc. Spray on, agitate with a paintbrush and hose off, best stuff I've ever used for heavy duty cleaning, safe on paintwork too.

Running costs should not be too bad, the Torsen diff is pretty robust, suppose the engine has the potential for big bills with quad cams and 30 valves, apparently they are pretty bulletproof if maintained properly, thats why I was specifically looking for one with a fully stamped up service book.

Economy wise I've been told that 30-32mpg should be pretty achievable.

nice one andy

my mums got one and i love driving it.

one thing i can make ya aware of is, theres 2 drain holes in the scuttle area,

1 under the battery and one under master cylinder

they seem to block fairly easily as theres no cover over that area.

I just cleaned out the scuttle area and unblocked the holes(water was Half way up the battery)

Went to vag and got the scuttle cover off a newer passat and trimmed it to fit over the top. About £20 but keeps the leaves and rubbish out.

And hopefully the holes will stay free from debrie now

chris

Money has started to be spent on the bus. Been in for smart repairs on the back bumper and a couple of paint chips today, booked in for a bonnet respray next week.

Black FK headlights, debadged grille and Eibach springs and shocks arrived today so will be sitting 40mm lower in a week or so.

Ordered a few internal bits and pieces, all OE to brighten up the interior and just placed an order for a set of 18" Nuvolari alloys.

Incredibly comfortable on a long journey, pulls like a train from 800 rpm in 5th - very torquey

I still love mine too.. Although thinking of upgrading to a A6 Avant on AIR in the future for a daily.

Looking forward to seeing it with the modifications Andy! Be sure to keep us well updated! :)

yep defo - if I had to change it would be for a passat (I came close to buying a couple).

G-mans passat is an inspiration

Now back from the paintshop after its bonnet re-spray, insisted that they blended properly into the front wings, absolutely top-class job.

Fitted the black FK Angel Eyes and badgeless grille this morning, really pleased with the end result.

Still can't believe how dirty it is, gone over it twice now with paint cleaner and still getting loads of crap off it, slapped a coat of polish on it afterwards and will wax it next weekend - at least it will keep it protected through the winter.

Having the Eibach suspension fitted next week and the new wheels are sitting in the garage waiting to be fitted.

Eibach suspension fitted yesterday, running 40mm lower now, removed a lot of the wallow whilst retaining decent ride comfort so pretty satisfied.

New 18" Nuvolaris went on today - virtually how I want it now, just a couple more tweaks

really need to get the bits I've had for mine since E38 fitted to her and some photos taken... :oops:

Yours is looking really sweet... Going down similar lines except for the angel eyes... I've got Xenon HID style ones which actually are HID (I mis-translated the german auction :oops: :lol: )