Sign in to follow this  
Trig

->| |<- That close to giving up. :roll:

[deep breath...]

The last few months with the C have not been that great.

The enjoyment seems to have gone. Bits (mostly interior) seem to keep falling off it and I can't keep up with repairing them. I wrote a list out this morning of all the stuff I need to do and it's worryingly long and I just do not know when i'll get the time or the inclination to actually put them right.

Drivers door handle not working

Ciggy lighter not working

Heater control lights not working

Heater blower only working on 4

Clock adjustment not working

Door pin rod snapped

Headlight lens has a small crack

the list goes on...

And then there was the wiper episode last night where the motor busted 300miles from home on a wet Novemeber.

Now I get in the car thismorning and i'm hearing a new scrapey squeally noise from the engine bay all the time... :cry:

So basically what i'm saying is.. I think I want out. I need something more reliable for getting me to and from work. This time last year that wasn't so important. Also because of my job I seem to have less time to do any work on the C and most of the time it seems not enough experience.

I bought the car 18 months ago for 4k and in that time i've spent over 3k on servicing, parts, conversions & bodywork. Obviously I wont make anything near that money back but in the most part it has been an enjoyable experience owning my Corrado.

My Corrado does have some great plus sides. The bodywork is generally in very good condition, when I spend a few hours cleaning her up she really does look spectacular. The interior is also in very good condition. My Koni/H&R's have only done 5k as has my exhaust & alarm. It has the OBD2 which provides a nice smooth drive & great MPG. I fitted brand new solid brake lines and goodridge hoses + 288s & MK4 rears only a couple of months back. Speedlines still looking fresh...

The niggly bits are just getting me down and i'm past the point of no return. When it comes down to it I could spend a bit of time (and money) sorting out all the annoying little bits and then sell her on for a reasonable price but I just have no enthusiasm for doing it.

I also think this is why i've been spending less time online. I'm starting to resent Corrados!

So I guess the reason i'm posting is to ask for opinions from you guys.

Will I get any money for her as she is?

Thanks for listening.

PS. Whatever happens i'll be staying put on here!

Drivers door handle not working................£50-ish

Ciggy lighter not working..........................£ box of matches

Heater control lights not working................1 bulb not the end of the world

Heater blower only working on 4................£0.60 from Maplins

Clock adjustment not working....................wear a watch..

Door pin rod snapped................................plenty breakers on here

Headlight lens has a small crack.................£30 tops from Stealer

I had a few niggly probs with mine in the past year which did make me think of selling I must admit......but once sorted there's no way I could

Can't have another regular sell up!!!!!!

We all go through moments like this....

You'll fall back in love with it soon (hopefully)

As for the broken bits

Drivers door handle not working --- Common failure, someone sells the repair kits on here

Ciggy lighter not working --- Do you really need it at the moment? probably only a wire or fuse gone.

Heater control lights not working --- Do you really need these to drive the car? as above.

Heater blower only working on 4 --- Think it's a resistor, don't think it's too bad a fault.

Clock adjustment not working --- You've got a watch haven't you?

Door pin rod snapped --- Do this when you repair the handle

Headlight lens has a small crack --- Wack some silicone in it for the time being worry about it when the MOT is up.

Don't get me wrong..... i'm not trying to be flippant, I've been there (well, still am there). But when you step back, you've got a cracking example. It looks spectacular, you've clearly worked hard on that aspect and it goes well (esp with the OBD2).

I'f my Corrado was as good as yours and had as few problems, I'd be moist with excitement!!!

DON'T sell! or if you do, can you send her my way? I'll do you a 16V on the road and a 16v for spares?

Edit.... I see Rodders beat me to it. Listen to him!

:lol:

Thanks for the nudge, i'll go on...

Using more oil than it should.. 1l every 1k

I think there's a leak in the water reservoir.

Something up with the headlight loom.. occasionally full beam comes on a minute or two after locking the car.

And then there's the all new wiper problem and random engine bay noise...

Ok,

Oil --- might be serious. It's a 12 year old car, sadly.

Water leak --- might need more investigation, as will the random noise

headlamp loom --- new relay.

Wipers can be sorted easily, only drive in the dry :wink:

I know exactly where you're coming from Trig. My rado is on very very thin ice and has already had its verbal and first written warnings.

Any more and I think it might be Mk3 Golf time :(

But if you want to chear yourself up, I could send you a PM with how much I've spent and what still needs doing? :)

It seems to be something almost every day at the moment and it just gets worse through the winter :(

lolly lol lol with another lol on top.

Because a few fiddley things have gone wrong that will cost you £4.83 to fix you're going to sell up and loose the few grand that you've sunk into the car.....to then buy something new and gay to drive around for about 4-5 months (tops) before you realise that you had a very gay moment and sold a nice example of an awesome car to drive around in.

I know the drive you have to do to get to work and it's one that most people would dream of! You'll regret it Trig!

Amen to that double-6s mine is on unpaid suspension and the boss is in a bad mood! Glad i'm not the only one but sorry your having probs too.

Toad, another kick in the teeth. Checked the weather forecast for the next few days. Every day was rain. :(

Anyone want it?

:cry:

THought you'd jump in Dave, I know i've said on a couple of occasions that i'd NEVER sell. Can't believe it's got to this stage but i'm really starting to dislike my car.

:lol:

Thanks for the nudge, i'll go on...

Using more oil than it should.. 1l every 1k

I think there's a leak in the water reservoir.

Something up with the headlight loom.. occasionally full beam comes on a minute or two after locking the car.

And then there's the all new wiper problem and random engine bay noise...

1l per 1k miles if you read the handbook is normal

new expansion bottle £20 tops

the headlights coming on............sounds like the headlight switch.....thats what the 2 ones Ive replaced in 5 years have always done prior to needing replaced

c'[mon Trig...............as we say up here "wisen up"

My car always has problems Trig. Wierd thing is I have a much better one on the drive, but I just don't like it!! Doh!!

So I continue to plough shed loads of wonga into the black one.

My point? Rado ownership is not a logical past-time mate!! :)

Toad, another kick in the teeth. Checked the weather forecast for the next few days. Every day was rain. :(

Get the Mrs to run in front of it with a brolley!!!

It'll be alright! When you're blasting along a nice twisty road on a summers evening with the tunes up, and the windows down, you'll wonder why you every thought about selling it!

Seriously, if I wasn't losing my job next week, I'd be after it in a second.

:p

Thing is I don't expect anyone is going to want to pay much for it as it is so I might as well just take it off the road and come back to it in a year or so when i've calmed down.

:p

Thing is I don't expect anyone is going to want to pay much for it as it is so I might as well just take it off the road and come back to it in a year or so when i've calmed down.

I was going to suggest that - you had it off the road last winter so do it again....if you can afford to buy another form of transport to get you to work and back?

That's a better idea! go out and buy a shonkey old banger to run through the winter, so you can save some money, and you'll appreciate the VR even more when you get it out again!!

I'm going to break my blue one and sell everything I can.

Then I'm going to get a 9 inch grinder, a sledgehammer and some fire, and inflict some serious pain on whatever is left :) Revenge time.........

If i'm going to buy another car it's gonna be loan time and something newer though. I've finished paying off my C so there's no reason why I can't start on another car really!

Anyone want it?

No! , it sounds like a right bangor! :lol:

HAahaaha! Walesy, that's twice now you've had me cracking up today.

Trig. I knew that if I sold mine I'd regret, so I didn't :)

But these things are like impulses "bloody car, that it, Im selling it"

then next "i love you car i love you car i love you car i love you car i love you car " :D

Trouble is with something newer you then start loosing money through depreciation rather than maintenance!

Swings and roundabouts really. I have been checking newer cars out though!!

double-6s, that's exactly it. You always end up paying the same whther it's depreciation of maintenance it's just that with the 2nd option you have less stress with it going wrong and a newer car!

All you guys with brillant VR6 corrados saying you are looking at newer cars and here I am spending months looking for one!! :|

Dont do, you WILL get Corrado withdrawl and just end up buying another one :lol:

I've been using a 'rocco GT2 daily for months now and it was 100% reliable untill the other week, it cost me £120 to have a new head gasket and on it goes. I have to sell it because it's in really nice condition and I feel bad letting the dog jump in the back and messing it up. You're welcome to it for a few hundred quid less than what it owes me ( which isn't much :wink: ) if you want it, it's an absolute hoot to drive. Then you won't loose much at all while you're realising that you don't actually want to sell your car :)