Sign in to follow this  
eddy

K&N Induction kit

Just wondering if any of you folks have the k&n kit on your corrado vr6?

As i am thinking of buying on myself and wondering how they sound on the 2.9 engine and does it make any difference to performance?

They sound great (IMHO), although a lot of people find them too loud. They will actually reduce the performance, because they are located in the engine bay where they soak up all the hot air, even with a cold air feed.

Get yourself a Carbonio or BMC CDA. More pricey, but much better. You could also do a DIY cold air intake using the K & N filter on the end.

Sound = awesome, but perhaps a bit excessive

Performance = most people reckon not as good because of sucking in warm air..

Best bet is something like the BMC enclosed cone filter.. you get a nice soundtrack (but not an OTT one like the K+N gives) and helps eliminate the problem of sucking in the warm air from the engine bay...

Well I love mine. Sounds awsome all the way through the rev range and as for the power loss, I have run 2 rolling roads with it on both gave readings above the standard BHP figure of 190.

Well I love mine. Sounds awsome all the way through the rev range and as for the power loss, I have run 2 rolling roads with it on both gave readings above the standard BHP figure of 190.

Was that with the bonnet open? Run the car with the bonnet shut and you will see a loss. Sucking in hot air from the engine bay air will loose you power over the standard air box!

Best filters as already mentioned are either the bmc cda or a Carbonio as both draw on cooler air from the wheel arch and not the engine bay.

Yeah bonnet open.

There would probably be a loss when it is closed but that is more than made up for by the sound.

But you run the risk of sucking up puddles with a cold air feed from the wing, thats a risk I wouldn't want.

so by the same theory a cold hairdryer would create a higher power figure if you were idleing? surely only so much air can get into the cylinder at once?

Using a hair dryer on idle probably wont get you far when the lead runs out and pulls the plug socket out...:lol:

But seriously,by adding more air whilst on the move will increase BHP as in the same when you use your car first thing in the morning when the air is nice and dense,you are getting more oxygenated air into the cylinders,both will give more power.

The K+N only seems to detract from performance when you're stuck in traffic, in my experience. When the car is moving freely on the open road, you get all your performance back thanks.

BMC>K&N

agree with Jim etc, tried both BMC and K&N (and OE filter) and the BMC is best, followed by OE. K&N sounds good, but does lose performance, the pickup is very noticeable, if you can ignore the noise, which gives you the illusion of speed/power.

I have a K&N cone going spare, but its currently a pencil holder :-/

if you can't afford the BMC I would stick with the stock filter, or start drilling holes.

the 'ram air' affect has little to do with the BMC being better btw, as my inlet feed doesn't face forward, it faces down, and hence doesn't have air pushed into it, not that I think it would help much

vwdeviant, yep. Worth doing. Improves throttle response a little and sounds nice with the snorkel removed. You can fit a cold air feed too. Don't bother drilling holes though!