Sign in to follow this  
Ryan S

How many people are running a 6-speed gearbox?

As I am trying desperately to think of reasons why I shouldn’t sell the VR, I was wondering whether this conversion could be a practical solution to decrease the running costs of the car. Obviously there would be a big cash outlay initially, but has anyone got a 6 speed box, and what sort of driving experience do they provide along with the MPG.

Cheers,

Ryan

Just sell the car if you're struggling to think of reasons to keep it.

A VR6 is no car to have if you're frugal, no matter how many gears it's got.

Just sell the car if you're struggling to think of reasons to keep it.

A VR6 is no car to have if you're frugal, no matter how many gears it's got.

That told him :lol:

this has to be one of the stupidest queries EVER :lol: .............FFS its a 2.9 V6 engined,near 140mph+ SPORTS coupe that returns early 20's mpg round town.........how frugal are you wanting it to be????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks.

Anybody actually got a six speed box fitted to their C then?

The running costs aren't really the reason I'm thinking of selling - we really need another 4 door (anyone done this conversion?:wink: ). This is more of a question I wanted answering, than a real option for my VR... but you never know my numbers could come up!

think you would have to keep the car for sometime to see the value in the cost of the box fitting, maybe altering final drive to get "economy". If your thinking of getting shut now, you prob won't last that long even with a 6 speeder.

There are always other places you can reduce money, generally a rado aint one of them

Bah you edited your post!!

4 door and economy bora or passat later ones with 6 speed

Ryan S is, no doubt, able to stand up for himself, but how about giving a civil answer to a civil question?

Best wishes

RB

its hardly ripping the proverbial out of him tho Roger,afterall surely the main reason for fitting a 6-speeder in a 5speed motor isn't really for better mpg,but better choice of gear ratios etc........if its purely for mpg then save the hassle and use the money set aside for converting it for paying at the pumps,if he's "struggling" to find reasons for keeping it in the first place I can't see how the expensive conversion to 6 speeds will make him keep it.........

For economy I think the best thing would be to take out the VR6 lump and stick a nice 1.0 litre from a nissan micra in there!

I have to agree with vr6storm - utterly bizarre question!! :)

Bah you edited your post!!

yeah sorry - I kept adding to it!

4 door and economy bora or passat later ones with 6 speed

Likely to be a golf or golf estate...as much as I love the bora I don't think his n' her Boras would be the way to go...

Anyway - that's off topic :lol:

Thanks.

Anybody actually got a six speed box fitted to their C then?

H8RRA has, but it's a Gemini box, meaning it's a 6 speed with closer spaced ratios, so 6th won't be much taller than a standard 5th, if at all.

If you want a taller top gear for economy, you can simply whip off the end case (can be done in situ) and pop a taller 5th in....but acceleration from 70mph would be apalling.

I should have said that to begin with but couldn't be arsed :-)

Why look at expensive conversions when you can buy a straight swap 6 speed conversion!!!! This is what I'm currently looking at for my G60

G60 Box

Or a straight swap for a VR6 Box

And the cost is FAR less than a Quaife Box and much easier than trying to convert an 02J to fit an 02A!!!! Work out about £1500 for a brnad new box + Shipping into the UK!!!

have to agree with Kev on everything he's said in this thread.

you don't fit a 6 speed for economy.....

but I have an LPG kit for a VR6, fit that and you would halve your running costs!