Sign in to follow this  
stevef182

engine swap!!

ok..my 1.8 16v is burning oil and im a little concerned as to how much longer the engine will last, the car itself is in nice condition, it has a few things i need to fix but other than the engine nothing too pricey at all..i didnt pay much for the car and am selling my mk3 golf so should have some spare cash soon, thinking of an engine swap for more power and more fun..im thinking 1.8 T swop..but does anyone know a) how much they think the whole thing would cost, and b) where i can get reasonable insurance as im only 22?? any help would be much appreciated!

Go for a VR6 lump instead mate.

Just so happens I've got one for sale! And all the wide track stuff you'd need for the conversion!! :)

I don't see the point in putting a VR6 into a 16v rado, go for a 1.8T or 2.0 FSi etc ,it makes far more sense IMO

I don't see the point in putting a VR6 into a 16v rado, go for a 1.8T or 2.0 FSi etc ,it makes far more sense IMO

Cheers Dave! :p

I'm not sure that there'd be that much difference in price, if you wait around you can get 1.8T engines really cheap. Also, when it comes to selling the car, a 1.8T Rado will sell for far more than a converted Vr6

Just my humble opinion :)

...unless of course you were to buy a VR6 engine pre-owned by the famous double-6's - in which case it would be worth a small fortune...

well the question is double-6s, how much would you sell the vr lump for and what condition is it in? i do kinda have my heart set on the 1.8T though..any ideas in insurance?

also Walesy, how much is really cheap? ball park figure?

£300 delivered ( local ) IIRC, with 45K on the clock. They seem to sell for alot on the forums etc, but i've seen a few at local scrappies for really good prices

You'd probebly get everything you need from a breaking VR6 for cheaper, but I just reckon it's not worth doing a conversion when you can pick up original VR6's cheap enough at the moment. If you're going to go to the expense and hassle of a new engine etc then I think you might aswell do something different using a newer engine and also one that's appealing when it comes to re-sale.

( there's a guy on here with a converted VR6 and he was trying to sell up for aaages with no luck, last I heard he was going to have to break it :( )

also Walesy, how much is really cheap? ball park figure?

£300 delivered ( local ) IIRC, with 45K on the clock.

Where to my man? You have the full attention of Mr Curnow now! That price sounds good to me, and it just so happens I have the perfect car for a 1.8t project!!

I'm not sure that there'd be that much difference in price, if you wait around you can get 1.8T engines really cheap. Also, when it comes to selling the car, a 1.8T Rado will sell for far more than a converted Vr6

Just my humble opinion :)

...unless of course you were to buy a VR6 engine pre-owned by the famous double-6's - in which case it would be worth a small fortune...

lol :)

I personally have only put a 1000 miles or so on it as well, so you should be ok ;)

Get in touch with Combellecks dude, that engine's gone but they seem to get them in quite often.

Thought you where gonna say that, didnt realise they where knocking them out that cheap!

Yeah - have to agree with Walesy here, you'll spend more cash on an old VR6 engine unless you find a very good one and you'll still need to change a whole load of stuff...

PSI Tuning do a 1.8T conversion for around £3-3.5k, so that should give you some idea. But I think thats including an engine at about £1k.

Insurance wise i reckon youre defo gonna be paying over a grand! try Brentacre, just for a quote, then shop around at places like Adrian Flux.

cheers Stan 24v, thats more expensive than i thought though..sounds about right for the insurance, if its round the £1k mark i will be fine i think..

Get in touch with Combellecks dude, that engine's gone but they seem to get them in quite often.

will do..do you (or does anyone know) who could fit one though, and how much that would be, roughly? (as u can tell im pretty new to this, but nevertheless still very keen!!)

OK..slight change of plan..having spoken to a few people today it looks like the 1.8 T swop might be a little out of my price range, in fact very out of my price range..so..spoke to some guy who reckons that if i got a 2.0 16v lump and new cams and tuned it and stuck that in because of the 1.8s engine managment system it would be much more tuneable then just buying a standard 2.0 corrado and i could get some decent power, round the 170 bhp mark..but if this is wrong PLEASE tell me!!

tallpaul1977, yeah true but its all i can afford..and im only 22 and i reckon its all i could afford insurance wise too..how much did your whole 1.8 T swop cost you if u dont mind me asking?

is it true that the engine managment system of the 1.8 16v linked to a 2.0 16v with an engine swop would make it more tunable rather than just buying a standard 2.0 16v and tuning that?