Sign in to follow this  
VAG-hag

Seat CupraR - anyone tried these??

I have one and love it! Bloody quick and handles very well.. I haven't had any damp footwells but am aware of other owners with that problem! My boot lock has stuck twice but was remedied by using the key in the boot lock... oh, and I had to have the brake light switch replaced on warrenty just after I got it but it's been fine since then!

Have a look on http://www.seatcupra.net if you need any further info on these great cars 8)

Ive currently got a Cupra (not R) and its only 180 BHP but I think its a top car! The R is supposed to be awesome too. Its got S3 front suspension and Golf rears, so it andles well as standard, in fact my standard Cupra handles well to to be honest.

There are no major issues with the cars, but you get similar niggles to the rest of the VAG range, and if you drive a C then you're used to niggles anyway :lol:

Go and drive one mate, its the only way to tell :wink:

If you like the V6, then you'll be pleased to know that Seat made a Leon Cupra4 which is a 2.8 V6 4motion

However, they didnt bring it to the UK, so you'd need to import one.

I think a Leon Cupra R is the only car i'd considering replacing the C with. There is a red one at work, looks stunning every time i see it.

There are a few 2004 plate ones on autotrader, they go for around £9-10k with about 40k on the clock

I've never been really *into* driving as much as riding, but since the remap of my 180bhp Cupra I can't stay out of the thing - it's brilliant. It's on 48k now and my mum owned it from new (and the first 47k), so I know it's never had any problems. Well, the post-cat Lambda sensor plug got a bit wet once and the ECU got scared, but that's it. Not bad in three and a half years.

I didn't really find it that exciting when it was standard, but £1500 later it's a great car...and a bit more powerful than a standard Curpa R. Although, I could do with the Brembos from the R, and the wheels :)

My local Seat dealer is absolute rubbish though. I wouldn't use them if they paid me.

In summary: The Leon Cupra/R feels like a natural step from the Corrado to me. I'll always miss that spoiler though!

I've got a Leon FR TDI, (earlier versions were cupras before the Cupra R came out) My FR topped 180bhp on the stealth rolling road. keeps up with the Cupra r very well

bcstudent, what did you spend £1500 on mate, surely a remap is only about £400-£500 ? How was the car fter the remap and what else did you spend on to improve the car ?

Just interested, as have always liked these, but not sure if I could justify spending the extra to get a Cupra R over a standard cupra. I would be tempted to upgrade brakes, suspension and a remap+exhaust for about £1500 on top of the £4000-£4500 of a standard cupra.

The remap was only £400, you're right, but you need to change a fair bit more for a stage two map. I didn't feel that stage one on a standard engine would produce the power the car deserved. You're only going to get around 210bhp with just a remap.

I have no intention of changing the brakes or suspension as it stops and handles fine as it is.

My £1500 bought the following:

Forge 007P - £80

Forge Turbo inlet pipe - £130

Carbonio cold air intake - £200

Piper turbo-back exhaust with sports cat - £520

Custom-Code stage two remap - £410

Nomad Racing pillar-pod - £40

Prosport electronic boost and oil temperature gauges - £80

The only other thing I'm planning to add is a poly dog-bone mount as I could do with reducing wheelspin a bit, but that's only about £20.

A fair bit can be saved if you leave out the cold-air intake. People are getting the same power out of a green panel filter in the standard airbox. They don't sound half as cool though :)

You'd have to drive pretty hard to need more power than the standard brakes can offer on the road, after a pad change at least. Compared to my Corrado, they're unbelievable as standard.

Cool, cheers for that, I've heard figures of around 250BHP with these mods fitted, so your 242BHP is in the right ball-park. Your right as well, have heard stage 1 remap good for 210-220BHP, but a turbo-back exhaust can add up to 20BHP extra alone !

Once my rado is finished next year, I will be looking for a change, so am considering one of these, a MK4 1.8T / GTTDi 130/150PD or a EP3 Civic Type R. They are all around the same price for 2002/2003 reg (with leather / Recaros in the Cupra / MK4), with the Seat being a bit cheaper to source, so trying to get as much info as possible, before setting heart on what I decide to buy next. The optional heated electric leather seats in the Cupra (if you can find one with them) are really nice too !

That said, I have seen early 210BHP Cupra R's for around £6000-£7000 and this would be my top limit for my next car, but not sure the R's are worth the extra wedge, just for the 30BHP, slightly better seats, brakes and suspension.

Arghhhh, just wrote a long response and clicked save instead of submit, and I am yet to find where saved posts go :mad:

Anyway basically I was saying dog bone bushes are a must, i have Forge ones on my Golf 1.8t which has stage 1 revo. The throttle response is alot smoother.

The 312mm brakes are good for every day use and some fast driving, although in my old LC I had them fade a few times.

I am about to upgrade my Golf 288mm front brakes to 312mm with Ferodo DS2500 pads, hopefully these will be a good set up.

Cool, cheers for that, I've heard figures of around 250BHP with these mods fitted, so your 242BHP is in the right ball-park. Your right as well, have heard stage 1 remap good for 210-220BHP, but a turbo-back exhaust can add up to 20BHP extra alone !

Once my rado is finished next year, I will be looking for a change, so am considering one of these, a MK4 1.8T / GTTDi 130/150PD or a EP3 Civic Type R. They are all around the same price for 2002/2003 reg (with leather / Recaros in the Cupra / MK4), with the Seat being a bit cheaper to source, so trying to get as much info as possible, before setting heart on what I decide to buy next. The optional heated electric leather seats in the Cupra (if you can find one with them) are really nice too !

That said, I have seen early 210BHP Cupra R's for around £6000-£7000 and this would be my top limit for my next car, but not sure the R's are worth the extra wedge, just for the 30BHP, slightly better seats, brakes and suspension.

If you go for a Mk4 make sure you get one with DBW throttle, this will either be an AUM or AUQ engine fitted with the K03s turbo instead of the old K03. As long as you get one post 2000, I think it will be AUM or AUQ.

If you are going to modify your next car, it may worth spending the extra on the LCR, an LC with a remap and no other mods will be around 212bhp, whereas and LCR remapped is somewhere near 260bhp. LCRs look better in my opinion too. :D

They do look better than standard Cupra's, and as mentioned previously have the better brakes, seats and suspension as standard, but is this worth the extra £1500-£2000 premium these models seem to command over the Cupra model ? I have seen 2002-2003 Cupra's with 40-60k miles and the optional heated, leather electric seats for around £5000-£6000 (trade). Cupra R's the same age /mileage are going for around £7k.

Cool, cheers for that, I've heard figures of around 250BHP with these mods fitted, so your 242BHP is in the right ball-park.

We all know what a lottery the dyno is, so I made sure I had a before and after run done on the same dyno less than a week apart. 250bhp is possible, true, but probably only for the first run. The dyno operator struggled with wheelspin for the first two runs so by the time he got to my 242bhp run the inlet temperature was well up. The standard intercooler isn't capable of supporting repeated power runs at 19/20 PSI. However, I don't feel that £800 for a larger intercooler is worth the bragging rights. My car is driven entirely on the road, so maximum performance isn't really an issue. I quoted 242bhp as it's what I have on paper; I know it's a 250bhp car on the right day/dyno :)

For the record, I'd have bought an LCR if I was in the open market for one or the other. The reason I ended up with a LC is because I bought it off my parents when they moved to France. The LCR is styled more to my appeal, and it's an excellent base to start from. That said, my LC struggles to get the power down now. I can't imagine that a 280bhp LCR is that much quicker on the road for that reason. I'd still like to find out though!

I actually think the facelift LC is as nice as the LCR, and just to prove it, heres mine :lol:

Im gonna be lowering soon, and a nice new lip spoiler, from the LCR, and then some power mods next year hopefully. Also thinking of painting my wheels gunmetal and tinting the rear lights too.