Sign in to follow this  
VAG-hag

Seat CupraR - anyone tried these??

Hello all,

Does anyone on here know how they handle? Good/ bad points? Any real regular faults?

Thanks in advance......

:D

I've got an FR TDI basically the top diesel. it handles well and pulled 180bhp at the last stealth day, the 225 leon Cupra R is nice.

I take it you are on about the old mk1 rather than the new one thats coming out in 2007.

They are basically and audi a3/golf mk4, but lighter and better equiped for the money. check out http://www.seatcupra.net/forum for more

ahh cheers pal!

Im on about a 2003/4 225 bhp sort of model. Sounds like you are pleased with yours. Any common faults?

Ill have a quick look at that site now......

thanks again.

I was thinking about a Cupra R, never got round to driving one though. I'm not entirely keen on the way they look though.

Before I bought my S3 I was considering a Leon Cupra R, really liked the look and all that. Until I realised they only came in 4 door that is. I'm sorry but that is just wrong for a sports coupe, I've never had a 4 door car, from first passing my test all the way through babies in car seats, kids, teenagers, we've made do with 2 doors. I ain't gonna change now they're almost old enough to drive themselves.

Just my opinion :shock:

Love 'em. Look really mean in black with the double-spoked alloys 8) Considered one before we got the vRS, but they weren't quite big enough.

my friend had one for 12month. Its was fast, got 6-7k out of a set of front tyres. Downside was the rear footwell kept filling up with water when it rained. Seat couldn't find the problem and once the car became very smelly they offered him good deal another car. Not sure if its a common problem.

Personally, i think they look great for a 5 door and will be very quick if you chip them to 265. Hard as nails.

A20 Lee really big thanx for the heads up on the leakage prob. Tho being a rado fan its nothing I have not heard before = )

PS yors is looking 1st class. Look 4ward to seeing it @ dub shows next year!!

Truth is gentle peeps im considering something a little newer, tho i still stand by my "find a better sund than a VR for less than 10K".

My mate has just bought a LCR on my advice & im smitten with it - even tho mine is quicker :D

Thanks to all on ya comments......

anyone wonna 65k Mystic Storm??

ahh cheers pal!

Im on about a 2003/4 225 bhp sort of model. Sounds like you are pleased with yours. Any common faults?

Ill have a quick look at that site now......

thanks again.

they come with the standard 1999 on vag faults :-MAF's £75 exchange,engine temp sender £20 and the brake light switch £10

they also come with less common faults :-split dv's, split vac pipe's on the inlet manafold (the 'u' bend in the brake servo pipe mainly) rear beam bushes, oil pumps , blown/cracked turbo's, cracked exhaust manafolds, water pump (this can take the cam belt out ending in a large bill) engine mount bolts snaping

don't let me put you off there a lot of fun to play with

Didnt have the cupra but had at the time the tope diesel.

Thought it was very well made and cam with all the gadgets.

I had the water in the front passenger footwell problem, it was repaired under warranty. It was caused by the seal on the pollen filter and is nothing to do with the door seals. Once its sorted it doesnt come back.

The cupra R was out when i got mine in march 2003.

my mates is ok for speed. sounds ok too. a wee bit tame compared with a vr but of course you get 1 or 2 extra comforts.

you off to Hudds meet today? ill be there for 2 ish I think........

I had a Leon Cupra, it was a great car, very capable, suprisingly good handling, pretty nice interior, all the toys you could wish for, and it went well too. I'd imagine the LCR is even better. It's certainly a car I would seriously consider for a replacement to my Corrado.

If you can live without the looks and the badge, you could get a Cupra and get it re-mapped. With a 5 hour Revo free trial, my old one went very well, a fair bit quicker than standard. You can get early ones from around £3500.

Have a look at http://www.seatcupra.net, there is tons of info on there.

My girlfriend has got a new seat ibiza sport TDI. Not the leon but same make.

She has had the car since sept and has so far had no problems! Touch wood!

She used to have a polo, but to get a polo sport tdi would have cost her £3000 more!!

The only thing I would say about her car (not sure if it applies to the seat leon) is that the build quality is not the same as VW. The quality of the plastics, trim, head lining etc.. doesnt have the same quality feel as the polo (and my corrado)

Having said that when or if I sell my corrado and mk2 golf gti, I would seriously look at the Seat Ibiza/Leon cupra TDI (160BHP) and decent fuel economy!! Only other car would be Audi A3. Just dont like the look of other vw.

right, here is the verdict.

I drove my mates SCR tonight after driving my VR this aft. I love the comfort & toys you get with the Seat but there is much less fun to be had. Plus the noise is drab. I am hooked on the VR note.

Still have to save for an R32 before I change I suppose.

Again, thanks all for your contributions.......

...one apparently common fault i've heard of (from three different Leon owning people), is that the boot catches pack up - this also happened on my sisters Ibiza and Dad's Altea.

all the Leon's just had the catch stop working*; i.e. fail to unlock, the Altea one refused to lock and Ibiza went proper mad and unlocked when rest of car locked and popped open when you drove over speed-bumps too fast!?!?

[*my old manager's Leon was one of the first in the UK and got through 4 latches inside it's warranty period!]

My sis now has 1 & lets water in the back, just like the one owned by Lees mate. NOT GOOD & a fair bit smelly :shock:

My Leon had the boot latch problem, it happened about 5 times over the year I owned it, and the last time was when I was about to get the money from its new owner - great timing.

The water in the footwell usually comes through the door, just like on a Corrado or any old VW when the plastic membrane is not sealed properly. On Leons and new VWs the plastic is replaced by a pressed steel panel which bolts to the door, and has a rubber seal all the way round it. The rubber seal over time starts to leak. I sealed mine by loosening the fixing bolts, cleaning the seal and running a small bead of silicon sealer around the joining faces and then tightening up the bolts again. I did this on 3 of the Leon doors, plus 1 door on a friends Leon, and 1 door on my current Mk4 Golf.