Sign in to follow this  
Trig

I've bought an S3 / The S3 Thread

it will feel numb compared to a corrado but i found standard power to be the same feel as that of a vr6

the remap will be completely different though. it really does completely change the feel of the car.

Yeh I reckon the power is comparable but S3 delivers it much differently. As Walesy found out today, you can put your foot down and get very little then the next thing you know the turbo has spooled up and your pinned to the seat. On boost the S3 is faster IMO. Remap is what's required. :twisted:

The Audi is just too competent to the point of being slightly boring. It's why the new TT can stick with a BMW Z4 3.0 coupe no problem at all round a track (was on 5th gear last night).....but it does it without breaking into a sweat. It's a strange compliment to Audi's engineers as they've made a car that anyone can drive in any conditions, quickly. Just because it doesn't flick the tail out on demand and have braille like steering feedback doesn't make it a bad car, just not an 'exciting' car.....and exciting as we all know in motoring terms means doing something dangerous, LOL!

The Audi is just too competent to the point of being slightly boring.

ah, the statement that also makes me wonder whether the upcoming R8 really will temp the masses away from Stuttgart's finest... :roll:

I didn't know Trig had bought an S3, but 100% agreed with you Mr Wales. Nice, but not nearly naughty enough!

When they're chipped and suspensioned up though, they're different cars.....but the numb, lifeless steering (typical Audi trait) will always remain.

When i was running standard suspension it was a horrible car to drive. The ARB's transformed the handling and unbelievable (unexpectedly!!) added a load of steering feel. Adding H&R's springs and Bilstein B8's improved the pitch underbraking and accerating but robbed the steering of about 30% of the feel the ARB's alone added. A well modified corrado is more of a drivers car but for a 10mins rag around the S3 would leave it trailing due that midrange punch. S3's are noisy on the motorway, makes my C feel like a limo.

My S3 seemed much quiter than my C on the motorway.

i've probably forgot what a standard c is like. I did go mental with the dynamat.

The Audi is just too competent to the point of being slightly boring. It's why the new TT can stick with a BMW Z4 3.0 coupe no problem at all round a track (was on 5th gear last night).....but it does it without breaking into a sweat. It's a strange compliment to Audi's engineers as they've made a car that anyone can drive in any conditions, quickly. Just because it doesn't flick the tail out on demand and have braille like steering feedback doesn't make it a bad car, just not an 'exciting' car.....and exciting as we all know in motoring terms means doing something dangerous, LOL!

totally agree kev , i've driven a few s3's and TT's (they were on the list of possible next cars) and they are almost too good for their own good, too safe , too competent , they just cant deliver that "seat of ya pants" feeling (just my opinion)

ps. very nice trig and tuneable

Cheers Paul,

Lee, thanks for the tip on the H&R ARB's have been reading up and it sounds like they are must, and not to much money either. Do you think the Blistein/H&Rs are a good combo? I was vaguely thinking about just fitting the springs, I guess it's silly not to do shocks as well.

Nice work Trig... Hope this means the Corrado is staying???

I was wandering past a black S3 the other day and couldn't believe how horrible the chrome wing mirrors looked. I would've much prefered body coloured units.

I'm afraid that it's looking very likely that the C is going :(

If I keep it it'll only be neglected and i'd rather someone else had soem fun with it and drove it like it should be!

I'm going to get all the necessary work done (a few bits crossed off already) then put it up for sale in the spring for around the 4k mark.

Cheers Paul,

Lee, thanks for the tip on the H&R ARB's have been reading up and it sounds like they are must, and not to much money either. Do you think the Blistein/H&Rs are a good combo? I was vaguely thinking about just fitting the springs, I guess it's silly not to do shocks as well.

if i was going to do it again i go with MTM springs and Koni FSD dampers. The H&R are good springs but the rear is a little high (with Eibach the front sits high) and bisteins are generally good but at 30mph on a poor road surface they are completely out of phase with the springs. The Koni FSD dampers are supposed to have been developed avoid this. Or save the extra £150-£200 and get a set of coilovers!!! The FK's on my corrado are still the best ride vs handling kit i've owned. Just the maintaince with coilover is a pain unless you stretch to the stainless versions.

surely do the ARB first - change the rims and decide if new suspension is a must??

Ive made the mistake in the past in doing too much at once and not seeing the benefits - much easier on the wallet too!

I'm going to get all the necessary work done (a few bits crossed off already) then put it up for sale in the spring for around the 4k mark.

I'll be very surprised if you're not back within a year mate.

surely do the ARB first - change the rims and decide if new suspension is a must??!

Yeh that's exactly what i'm going to do. :)

With a remap thrown in for good measure :D

I'll be very surprised if you're not back within a year mate.

Hmmm, yeh I guess we'll see. Maybe i'll pick up an 8v as a run around next autumn. Idealy I would keep the VR but there's that constant feeling of 'what's going to happen next?!' Plus I could do with the money really. :)

In any case i'll still be on the forum as much as ever.

I'll get a custom code one done at RK Engineering in St Agnes. They looked after my C and I had the S3 down there the other day, i'm sure they'll do me a good deal. ;)

It saves travelling somewhere like I normally do!

put some more pics up trig (the dash etc ) i'd like to see the dash at night if poss ta :-)

ps. is the leather heated ?

I'll get a night dash pic up.

Hopefully will be giving her a really good clean tomorrow (weather dependant) so will get some more pics up tomorrow.

Leather is not heated. :(

Yeh i've already given the leather a good going over. I had Autoglym & Gliptone stuff and agreed, the Liquid leather stuff is great. :)

.Idealy I would keep the VR but there's that constant feeling of 'what's going to happen next?!' Plus I could do with the money really.

I think I must be quite fortunate in that my Corrado costs are negligable(including the usual service,petrol fees).

Well done on the new wheels,I love the clean-cutness of it(particularly the interior).I have absolutely zero knowledge of Audi's-but they seem to be solid,well-built cars.