Sign in to follow this  
Trig

I've bought an S3 / The S3 Thread

The S3 would have been perfect if it had left the factory like you one below!! Personally think there crap as standard, hated mine to start with. A chip and suspension transforms them, Remus backbox is going on mine tomorrow. :-)

To all you S3 owners, did you ever think/testdrive an S4?

Wat made you get an S3 over an S4?

Scared about the turbo rebuild or the family man car look????

To all you S3 owners, did you ever think/testdrive an S4?

Wat made you get an S3 over an S4?

Scared about the turbo rebuild or the family man car look????

Yep, looks an old barge these days and cost a fortune to run. S3 has everything the S4 has bar a decent sound track. Holds its money better and £3k gets you 350bhp if you want it. Cheaper servicing, more tuning parts available, less weight and has an smidge of Kudos about it.

modern diesels have come a long way if your looking for fun and economy

True jedi-knight but MK4's have an old engine. Had a Leon Cupra tdi 150 fitted with a tuning box - don't know what the output was but it used to make the clutch slip. Now got MK5 140 with tuning box - far superior car and got 185bhp and just under 300 torque at stealth. Both return an easy 50 mpg but the Golf is a better drive. Also drove a MK5 GT tdi 170 the other day - felt slow compared to mine but would be awesome with a tuning box or rechip.

You can pick up S3's for 7-8K but expect the mileage to be approaching 100k. Good luck if you go for it though, they are great cars IMO.

You sure can! 8)

And mines not even at 100K yet! :lol:

All my money at the mo is being directed towards gadgets rather than cars which is a shame as there's stuff I need to do to the S3 and the C (so I can sell it!).

turbo failed on mine :cry: looks like the oil feed pipe had a blockage cooking the blower. No warning, out in it saturday, start it up sunday morning and no boost. £900 for a new VAG turbo on its own.

Bad luck. I saw someone seling one for £150 on audi-sport (second hand obviously), or you could use it as an opportunity to upgrade... :twisted: .

...that'll teach you to slate them standard!

Bad luck. I saw someone seling one for £150 on audi-sport (second hand obviously), or you could use it as an opportunity to upgrade... :twisted: .

...that'll teach you to slate them standard!

Looked into upgrades £1500 for a GT28RS but then fitting and mapping + insurance.

Looked into upgrades £1500 for a GT28RS but then fitting and mapping + insurance.

Sell the rado to fund it...? :shock: :lol:

I have my 345bhp MTM Stg III S3 since Novemeber and although its fast as fup, I'm afraid its missing a soul............yes everyone a soul.

My old VR6 had a soul............................ and a heart too mind.

I have my 345bhp MTM Stg III S3 since Novemeber and although its fast as fup, I'm afraid its missing a soul............yes everyone a soul.

My old VR6 had a soul............................ and a heart too mind.

:lol: everytime you post you mention 345bhp. :-P

@ Lee,

Yes I do mention the old 345 but that was just to further hammer home the point of my sense of loss at selling my VR6.

@ Lee,

Yes I do mention the old 345 but that was just to further hammer home the point of my sense of loss at selling my VR6.

agree with you. The S3 is soulless next to C VR6, but it will spank anything without an FQ badge on the back A to B.

I agree as well. This is the whole reason that there's a Corrado Forum, it's a car that (despite its downfalls) feels like a family member for some strange reason!

Seems that S3 ownership is the natural progression from a Corrado.

I've had my S3 for just over a year,but I'm now at a stage where I want to sell it and get something else-just not sure what.But I do want to sell the S3 as I have had my fun out of it.

Black ones seem popular a well. How much or the wheels blown?

Er,dunno.

They came with the car attached.

Although I did have to replace one recently and it cost me about £120. :p

tried the s3 - was a little disappointed myself. Thought a compromise between performance and comfort/reliability/etc etc was the answer - but realised after trying that compromising came at a great loss. Kept the corrado in the end. Nice looking car, drove well, had all the 'bells and whistles', great daily car, no doubt about it - just couldn't seem to find the fun factor in it. but can appreciate why so many corrado owners move on to it.

Oh stop it, I don't want to be hearing that the C is a more enjoyable car than an S3, particularly as I'm still considering a TDI A3 or Mk4 Golf, they are probably going to be even more dull.

I used to find my Leon Cupra a bit dull too, but it was a superb car for comfort, performance and handling.

I now have a deposit on the C, so I'm going to start seriously looking for a car over the weekend.

One thing which bothers me about the S3 over the lower spec 1.8t models and TDIs is the 4 wheel drive. How reliable is this, are there any known issues with it, or am I worrying about nothing?

i think the chap on here (is it user called tonedef?) said he had the last service charge of £1800. that i think included the awd service. £1800 service bills are simply ridiculous costs for s3's. decided it definately wasn't the car for me after reading that!

That's just the half of it.

Getting 350hp out of a 1.8T is not as easy (or cheap) as lot of people think it is....and I've seen plenty of bent conrods and dropped valves to show for people's efforts :lol:

Put the investment in though and you can get some good results. The exhaust manifold is key, needs to be a MUCH bigger bore than stock, which is why the ATP eliminator kit bends rods.... the gases can't escape through the pee shooter sized stock runners fast enough.

S3s in general.... not my bag. Too middle class young exec and female estate agent for me. I don't get drawn into Audi's 4 ring brand power. I know what's underneath and won't pay the massive premium for the small differences you get over it's VW equivalent.

For 4WD I'd rather take a classic shape Scoob, pocket the difference and spend it on my Rado!