Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Suggestions for a new car please - decision made see pg3

Ok, it aint VAG but I'll keep banging on about this car to anyone that's thinking of 5dr large hatchbacks - Mazda6 Sport 2ltr diesel 143PS 266lbft.

The engine is *very* good for a 4pot diesel. Doesn't sound tractor like, as the VAG 140 TDI does. Plus, the reason I like it most, the front end has very positive turn in and good steering weight. It gives you confidence to chuck it around the twisties :-)

The only good 4 pot VAG diesel is the 170 as it pulls like a train in the Mk5 GT. I'd love a 330d, but I hated the BMW image.

... I'll get me coat!

Test drove the new Renault Sport Clio yesterday - OMG what a fun little car! Nice amount of power and smooth delivery, sharp turn in and a fantastic engine note! Maybe not the most practicle I've considered but the most fun so far! (keep telling myself that it has cruise control so it'll be fine on the motorway :lol: )

Very keen on it and it'll be under budget meaning I have funds left for insurance, servicing and no doubt, tyres! 8)

imagegallery2.jpg

imagegallery5.jpg

imagegallery11.jpg

imagegallery12.jpg

Off to drive a used 55 plate Leon Cupra R in a bit - have always loved them and also under budget 8)

Well the Cupra was very nice indeed! And the insurance is affordable too :shock:

So, what do I do now? I like both the Clio and the Leon and can't decide!

Suggestions please :D

Which one do you think you would look back at once after you have parked it to admire it? Which one is more understated (if you like that sort of thing). Which offers something that the Corrado cant?

Must suck to have to make such a decision! :roll: :p :mrgreen:

Phil K, clio has odd gearing in that at 80mph its doing 4500 rpm (according to EVO). Personally that would get on my man boobs. The clio will defo be improved into a Trophy version at some point.

The Leon, hrmm, wouldn't kick one out of bed and would be different to the ssat. Fairly practical and quick, would get my vote.

Well I'm going to take the other half to look at them in the morning and see what she thinks - all though 4.5K at 80 sounds a bit much :?

Phil K I was in a similar dillema a while ago, had to be diesel had to be about £20K (pre-vat and OOR costs)..

Ended up being a choice of Passat Sport TD and the Old A3 TDi 130 "Quattro GMBH wide track" spec! Both of which I managed to get the arse out on, but the Passat also flashed TCS light in first 3 gears when giving it the beans....

Guess whic one I would have chosen if the boss turned round and said "oh and not German!"

I agree with the Mazda 626 comment, quick, well built, different styling, handles really well. But not as well as the Quattro

Right I've done it! Put the deposit down for this bad boy today! It's a year old and has 6K miles on the clock - was an ex-Seat managers car :D

It's not perfect yet but all the niggly bits will be sorted for when I pick it up... plus It'll have 6 months tax and will be fully serviced 8)

Should have it mid Jan or earlier if they can get it sorted quick enough...

Sorry for the naff quality phone camera pics - will go over again in the week to get some better ones - ride height looks high as it was parked on a slope :oops:

Oh, aren't they mean to be red then? I love it - have been after one for years.. december's going to be one hell of a long month now! The C and the LCR will look so good in the car park - I think the neighbours should be paying me extra for making it look good :lol:

yeah my mums has red calipers at the rear. good choice love borrowing hers, it never seems to stop pulling. get a revo remap and you will be flying.

The Cupra R has brembos on the front, but standard calipers on the rear. i didnt think they where never painted at the factory, looking at others on the web, seems they were! oops, pitty i had to get a diesel, otherwise you know i would have a Cupra R. Mines an FR, basically the old Cupra Diesel rebadged. I missed out on the FR plus by only a few weeks, that had the full cupra r bodykit and 17inch versions of the cupra r's wheels

Cool- good on you Phil, I know you've hankering after one of these for a few years now...

pics look good, can't wait to see it in the flesh....