Sign in to follow this  
Mave

Clever corrado tacho

Very cool!

But I like the one Mrbeige has done as it's more of a traditional shift light that looks OE. Yet it's bright enought to see without concentrating on it!!!

Hm.. obviously a lot of work went into that and I love the look of it but feel the shift light is just too subtle to be of any use really... would be awesome if the whole dial blue bit of the face went red though. The design of the fascia's is cool though :)

I also reckon it'd be a seriously cool mod, if someone was well into electronics to rip off the BMW M3 thing of colouring all the revs past 3000RPM red until the oil temp reads 80 centrigrade or something... its a good visual deterrent to remind you to not drive like an idiot till the engine is warm!

I don't reckon it would be that hard to do if you knew what you were doing!

Very subtly done, really OE effect but to be honest if you need a shift light you must be deaf.

agreed , very 8) though

never understood the need for shift lights on C's, but I really like the subtleness of that.

as said above, if you could wire that thing up, then theres alot of potential to get some other mods in (engine temp etc).

Only people who've never driven a VR don't see the point of shift lights.

When you've bounced off the rev limiter because the engine simply doesn't get any louder after 2600 rpm, you start to think it might be a good idea .. :)

But, having looked at the video, that is possibly the most pointless shift light in the universe. Well .. if you are already looking at the rev counter, duh .. !

Only people who've never driven a VR don't see the point of shift lights.

Come on now.. the VR is a smooth engine but it aint THAT smooth. You definately know when you're approaching the red line in a VR!

I think that was the point Jim.

You dont need a shift light in a VR because the world becomes very noisy and your passenger goes a funny shade of grey.

Who's VR have you been driving? The sound changes, but I wouldn't say there's a significant difference in sound *level* between full throttle @4k rpm and full throttle at 6k rpm. Certainly not with the windows closed.

You generally know you're running out of revs more because the power output starts to tail off, frankly, or because you glimpse the needle hitting the end stop ..

It's not something I've done often, but if you're not familiar with the car then yes, it's easy to not notice the redline approaching.

Driven, amongst others, Kevhaywire's VR (pre charger) and 2cc's.. both of which have had plenty of parts changed to make them amongst the smoothest running VR's out there!

I would agree that the engine 'volume' doesn't increase as such but the tone definately changes from between 4000 -> 6000RPM quite noticably!

I didn't get a chance to tear it up simply because I find it a bit awkward nailing other peoples cars and that it was taking a while to warm up.. but god the soundtrack is PHENOMENAL. I don't think i'd ever want to drive around with the windows shut! Just hearing that whining and mechanical chattering off the charger even when very slowly progressing through the revs...

It was fantastic mate. And if I come into a small amount of money, a VR and charger are on the cards, no doubt at all!

One thing I will say though - it didn't feel as fast as I was expecting and I guess thats something that haywire was getting at. I was sort of expecting to be pinned into my seat when I did give the car a squirt.. and despite there being absolutely no doubt that its a bloody fast car, it just didn't feel like I expected it too. I imagine though that over 100MPH, it continues to stack on the speed like it was a lower speed and thats what makes it a properly quick motor! :)

its all between 4and6k mate, and it doesnt drop off in 5th, still pulling like a train at 140. you need to get your foot into the carpet to get the best out of the charger for sure, but when you do its quite a suprise i still find!

hopefully you can give mine some proper abuse before xmas :-)

lol.. I like the sound of that ;)

Are you coming up for this xmas meet this weekend mate in Birmingham?

still negociating Jim, have to tread careful as the wifes just swapped her vento for a passat tdi so i can keep my corrado :-o

Hey guys here's my tuppence...

Used to work in M/sport as techie and driving "coach" with data aquistion, if you want to get the most out of your car on a track day then a GOOD tacho and s/light are vital (esp if you have a tendancy or not running a limiter). Now the stocker's fine for road use but if you want to hit shifts all the time and (more improtantly) not destroy an engine through over-revving. You need a decent quality tacho, I have seen a "quality brand, and best selling" american brand tacho on a test bench be as much as 15% out at full whack!

Now I'm not going to promote any-one's products but if you're interested in what I'd recommend PM me.. But I warn you they ain't the cheapest, but much cheaper than a re-build.

for fast driving a shift light is brilliant you can do with out one on track days. I guess if youve never used one when driving fast you wouldnt know how useful they are, having a reminder when you are at peak power to change gear is so useful and makes you quicker as the only way to tell normally is the power starts to drop then you've lost time! an overkill in a road car? maybe but then ive spent thousands on my engine i want to get the best out of it!!

hopefully you can give mine some proper abuse before xmas

lol.. I like the sound of that

Are you coming

jim & nick - steady on ! its a family forum :lcop:

I didn't get a chance to tear it up simply because I find it a bit awkward nailing other peoples cars and that it was taking a while to warm up.. but god the soundtrack is PHENOMENAL. I don't think i'd ever want to drive around with the windows shut! Just hearing that whining and mechanical chattering off the charger even when very slowly progressing through the revs...

It was fantastic mate. And if I come into a small amount of money, a VR and charger are on the cards, no doubt at all!

One thing I will say though - it didn't feel as fast as I was expecting and I guess thats something that haywire was getting at. I was sort of expecting to be pinned into my seat when I did give the car a squirt.. and despite there being absolutely no doubt that its a bloody fast car, it just didn't feel like I expected it too. I imagine though that over 100MPH, it continues to stack on the speed like it was a lower speed and thats what makes it a properly quick motor! :)

Completely agree with you there Jim. I took Karls out after you and was also surprised how it didnt feel that quick, dont get me wrong it was rapid but i was expecting stupid speed! I think the fact that it has solid coilovers gives that effect as you dont feel the car move, where as in mine with soggy suspension the car sits back and you feel like its shifting!! Same with the brakes which were really good but no dive gives the impression they aren't that good :lol:

But that said i am still saving for a charger for mine :twisted:, just need to sell my motorbike to raise funds :wink:

I still want a tacho like on the Nobles which changes the colour of the needle as it goes up through the rev range... very subtle, but very effective... 8)