Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

1989 F340BVV press car, I bought it !

Hi guys been offered a 1989 F plate corrado which is for sale local to me. the guy reckons its the actual test car from What Car magazine & has the issue from 89 to prove it.

Car is nice and clean and standard apart from the wheels and possibly the seats.

Does anyone know much about the press cars or know where i can find out more ? Im thinking it may be a little bit of an investment and if its mint and 100% standard it will be a good companion for my now very non standard VR6.

Anyone have any idea of its value ?

Cheers Jimmi.............................

Cool,nice find 8)

Theres a few threads on here covering them i think,hopefully someone knows where they are. :)

Neil.

Ive searched but cant really find much, hopefully someone will be able to shed a little more light.

Jimmi.......

vr6storm, not mine dude.

Nice find JIMMI, think there was only about 5 or 6, cant be too many about now...

I have no idea on value but mine might be sold tomorrow but it's not exactly mint either so it's going cheaper, but probably more than what a normal 16v would be.

teh standard seats have leather on the side of them too. i've got a few pics lurking about from the magazines, if i find them i'll get em up

Ive got a bit more info now, reg no. is F240BVV, apparantly the car has full VW history & a nice factfile with info & all the articles it was included in even pictures with clarkson driving it on a beach somewhere. Going to look @ it tommorow so ill see for sure then.

The interior with leather on the sides i guess this is the same as all early corrado's rather than just the press cars ?? Any links would be good as id like to know as much about it as possible before i go to look at it.

Also what wheels are standard, if i buy it i want it to be exactly the same spec as when it left the factory.

Jimmi,,,,,,

I think ive seen this car on the 690 between Durham and Sunderland about 4 months ago...

Not sure though, cant be that many F plate red Rados in the area.

Can't remember the reg (think it was F241 BVV) of the one that came up for sale a few times over a few months on eBay at an expensive price (think it was bought by tomlin100 on here who was from around Sunderland way), but it could be that one, as it was a "press-car". Was defo a red, 16V F' reg tho and can't check back as the thread has been deleted. That said all of the ten original press-cars were red 16V, F reg's with sequential plates on them, from the details I have the registrations were F235 BVV to F245 BVV.

I've only got pics of mine and F242 BVV. Sure I've seen F240 somewhere.

Apparently Guy Hartley has a picture of them all lined up (all the press cars), last I spoke to him was that he was going to put them on eBay.

I've also got the pics of mine on the beach too, it was at Pendine Sands :)

Also what wheels are standard, if i buy it i want it to be exactly the same spec as when it left the factory.

The standard wheel should be the Sebring.

I bought it !

I viewed the car on sat morning, however the guy was wanting too much money for the car, i made him an offer which he declined. But obviously with christmas looming and my offer burning a hole in his pocket he foned me yesterday afternoon and acccepted my offer. He dropped it off & went on his way leaving the corrado on my farm.

The car is a bit of a find, it IS the actual car tested by Jeremy Clarkson and What Car magazine. one of the previous owners has wrote into VW and they have sent a letter back with a little history on the car, they have also sent out some picture negatives showing clarkson standing next to it & it driving on Pendle sands. The issue of What car magazine is also with it with loads of pics of the car being tested against Nissans 200SX & Toyotas Celica. The history with it is unreal. It has done 190k & has Full VW history, last being serviced in the summer ! all of its old MOT's, Tax discs are present, even the "VAG Press Fleet" Tax disc holder is still present !

Car is remarkably tidy, there is only one piece of rust on the whole car which is round the petrol cap, the sand from pendle must of been lodged in there back in 89!! It has had an A1 respray done at some point but at this time they have smoothed the VW badge from the rear & removed the side rubbing strips. My plan is to Repair the rust around the filler, "unsmooth" the rear panel & refit the side strips. The wheels are non standard OZ rims so they will be getting ditched for some Sebrings. I am going to refit all of the correct badges as well.

The interior is tidy, the drivers seat is worn on the bolster which needs sorting but apart from that everything is there and it all works. i would like an original or period aftermarket head unit if anyone can give me some model numbers so i can look on ebay.

I will get all of the jobs done on it in the next few weeks. i want it to be really nice and original. It is a piece of Corrado history.

Going to do a wanted ad now.

Jimmi......................

you can have my sebrings if you want? £80 one needs a tyre you see. The centre caps need a respray, otherwise they are honest - if your going the whole hog you may want them all refurbed anyway

glad you got the motor though, nice bit of history from VAG to :cool:

Coxxylad wrote

you didnt buy it from darlington/aycliffe way? from a bloke called tim?

Na mate it came from sunderland, previous owner was from Richmond way on tho, he had it for 6-7 years or so. Guy i bought it from had only owned it six month or so.

Ill post some pictures up of it some time today.

Jimmi..............

clarkson driving it quote]

is that a good thing? :lol:

i have some old press/review material at home of the corrado, wonder if its in there?

So you taking it back to original? Looking forward to seeing how this progresses - the original valvers in red on sebrings always looked great IMHO. Fantastic to see this press car on the forum!

You and Mave need to get working on em in time for the summer and get em together for a few pics! :)

nice find, good to see another corrado staying in the north east! hopefully get to see it soon (saturday PLEASE!!!!) pleased you're putting it back to standard, you're now the proud owner of a piece of corrado history! good work fella!

i only ask cos I knew of a red press corrado in newton aycliffe, I think the lads name was Tim Hoyland who owned it. It will be over 7 years since I seen him and he was talking about selling it then, so it may be the same one - I assume there arent too many of them about!