Sign in to follow this  
camper driver

What ecu can I use vr6

Ok Ive now concluded my ecu is broke. It comes from a M reg 2.9 vr6 storm.

Vw code is 021 906 258 CP. Can I use any other ecu eg from a 2.8 golf etc or does it speciffically have to be that one?

Has anyone had a replacement / rebuild what or who is the best / cheapest option?

Or if you have a spare or one for sale I may take it off your hands!

I think you'll need one the same, otherwise you might need to change some other parts of the wiring loom. Plus, since it's the CP model, you'll need to get it coded to match your keys...

Look inside your key for a chip,if there is no chip you can use any VR6 ecu but you will need to use your current ECU chip,some boards have removable chips and others are soldered in.

Or do as dr_mat, said and get one the same as you took off.

ECUs ending "CP" are generally coded.

Anyway, that's not really the issue, it's more making sure you get another part that is compatible with your wiring loom and engine sensors. So if you had an ECU part "AG" you'd be best off looking for another one the same ...

Yes, it is coded but it can be repaired without re-coding. The only replacement for that ECU is the VW exchange unit 021 997 258 GX at £545.88 inc. VAT. Why do you think yours is faulty?

Because number 4 injector is staying open constantly pouring fuel into the cylinder. Ive checked the injector, this is Ok. The injectors have a switched earth through the ecu ( Someone correct me if I,m wrong please ) all earths are around 60 Ohms, but on this number 4 its around 7 Ohms. Its not a wiring loom fault as they all return to infinity when i disconnect the ecu.

Sounds like an injector driver fault in the ECU. I've seen that happen a few times and you need a new one, not that you didn't know that already!

Best to ring round some VW breakers and get a replacement.

Or get a megasquirt ECU for £200 and get a massive improvement over Motronic unit.